ACU doesn't spawn [SOLVED]

This is for troubleshooting of problems with the FAF client and Forged Alliance game.

Moderator: PhilipJFry

ACU doesn't spawn

Postby Claymix » 10 Feb 2020, 03:47

When I launch a game in the patched, offline version of Forged Alliance (this shortcut: ProgramData/FA Forever/forgedalliance.exe), the commander does not finish spawning. A map will load and the commander will be selected, but he never actually appears and nothing can happen in the game.

The game works fine when launched through FAF. It also works when the base game is launched independently (the normal Forged Alliance executable).

These are the exact same game files as my other computer, which works fine. I even tried installing my game from the disk, but it does the same glitch with a pure installation.

I have uploaded the game.log.

Thanks in advance!
Attachments
game.log
(64.5 KiB) Downloaded 19 times
Last edited by Claymix on 17 Feb 2020, 18:08, edited 2 times in total.
Claymix

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: Claymix

Re: ACU doesn't spawn

Postby armacham01 » 10 Feb 2020, 04:05

Can you try making a game with pre-built bases? I had something like this happen to my ACU before when I had a certain mod on. The ACU basically spawned under the ground and couldn't build anything but the prebuilt base buildings worked normally. So I knew the problem was isolated to the ACU.

If the game still runs as normal, the only difference is your ACU is missing (invisible? underground?) but the prebuilt factory works normally, that might help someone to figure out where the problem is for you.
armacham01

Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 109 times
FAF User Name: arma473

Postby PhilipJFry » 10 Feb 2020, 19:52

is the log you posted from a perfectly fine game played via the faf client or from your offline game?
did you run the game with a command line switch to print out a log file?
cats>dogs
post logs
PhilipJFry
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 232 times
Been liked: 348 times
FAF User Name: PhilipJFry

Postby Claymix » 10 Feb 2020, 22:44

PhilipJFry wrote:is the log you posted from a perfectly fine game played via the faf client or from your offline game?
did you run the game with a command line switch to print out a log file?

From an offline game in which the glitch occurred. I'm not sure what you mean by "command line switch."

Also, I know you are supposed to post a FAF log as well, but I cannot find the setting to enable such log.

EDIT: The FAF log magically appeared after I tested it again.

I've attached an updated game.log along with the FAF log after trying armacham01's suggestion (which didn't work, see my reply to his message).

Thanks!
Attachments
game (1).log
(91.15 KiB) Downloaded 20 times
downlords-faf-client.log
(21.41 KiB) Downloaded 17 times
Last edited by Claymix on 10 Feb 2020, 23:10, edited 2 times in total.
Claymix

Postby PhilipJFry » 10 Feb 2020, 22:51

if you didn't set a command line switch to enable logging then the log file you posted was from a game played via the faf client

details regarding how to play offline and a link to the command line switches can be found on the wiki https://wiki.faforever.com/index.php?ti ... offline?
cats>dogs
post logs
PhilipJFry
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 232 times
Been liked: 348 times
FAF User Name: PhilipJFry

Postby Claymix » 10 Feb 2020, 23:01

armacham01 wrote:Can you try making a game with pre-built bases? I had something like this happen to my ACU before when I had a certain mod on. The ACU basically spawned under the ground and couldn't build anything but the prebuilt base buildings worked normally. So I knew the problem was isolated to the ACU.

If the game still runs as normal, the only difference is your ACU is missing (invisible? underground?) but the prebuilt factory works normally, that might help someone to figure out where the problem is for you.

Tried this. The prebuilt base AND the commander are visible, but nothing happens. Everything spawns in, but it's like time is frozen. I can give commands, but nothing ever starts or moves and the AI never does anything.
Claymix

Postby Claymix » 10 Feb 2020, 23:11

PhilipJFry wrote:if you didn't set a command line switch to enable logging then the log file you posted was from a game played via the faf client

details regarding how to play offline and a link to the command line switches can be found on the wiki https://wiki.faforever.com/index.php?ti ... offline?

Sorry for the confusion. I have set the command line switch and attached the correct game.log to this message. This was after launching a game with prebuilt bases. The glitch was still present.
Attachments
game (1).log
(91.15 KiB) Downloaded 25 times
Claymix

Re: ACU doesn't spawn  [SOLVED]

Postby Claymix » 17 Feb 2020, 18:07

FIXED the issue.

Here's what the problem was, for posterity's sake (because not posting your own solution to a forum thread is so annoying):

The problem was the Fiery Explosions Mod. Now, I thought I had disabled and uninstalled all mods. In fact, I had even installed the game fresh from the disk and still had the error!

BUT. I had two copies of Supreme Commander on my computer somehow, and FA Forever was using an old, old copy that still had the mod installed. This wasn't an issue when launching the game through the FA Forever client because, I theorize, it would then use the correct, unmodded Forged Alliance. When launching from the shortcut in the Bin folder of FA Forever, however, it somehow launched from the modded Forged Alliance and, thus, the error.

Long story short, if you are having a weird issue like this make sure you only have one copy of the game installed on your computer and that you have all mods disabled and removed. With a mod like Fiery Explosions, you need to have a backup of the original unmodded files handy.

Anyway, thanks for your time.
Claymix

Return to Tech Support