File/Folder permission guide

This is for troubleshooting of problems with the FAF client and Forged Alliance game.

Moderator: PhilipJFry

File/Folder permission guide

Postby PhilipJFry » 06 Jan 2020, 12:15

A lot of Users seem to have issues with their antivirus software.
This has become a bigger issue in the last few years mostly because of ransomware.
Since Ransomware can potentially cost you a lot of money or all of your data it is not recommended to disable your antivirus in order to get applications to work.

I will use this thread to explain what applications and folders you need to be aware of when using FAForever and explain how to set up your antivirus in order to avoid issues while keeping your PC protected.

Applications:
The FAF Client (downlords-faf-client.exe)
The install location of the client can be set during the client install.
The default location should be C:\Program Files\Downlord's FAF Client\
The FAF Client itself will store or modify files in the following directories:
  • C:\ProgramData\FAForever\
    Spoiler: show
    ProgramData - not to be confused with Program Files - is a hidden folder in windows -> make sure you can view them in the windows explorer
    hidden_items.png
    hidden_items.png (30.84 KiB) Viewed 6219 times

The client will store the FAForever patch files, its logs, various cached files and a few other minor things in this directory
    Usually this location is not protected by ransomware protection but it's good to be aware of this folder
  • %appdata%\Forged Alliance Forever\
    This folder contains the client.prefs file which is used to store all client related settings
  • %UserProfile%\Documents\my games\Gas Powered Games\Supreme Commander Forged Alliance\
    This is the most important folder in terms of the ransomware protection since this feature aims to protect your user folder in general.
    This folder is used by the game to load user installed mods and maps and is therefor used by the client to store mods and maps.
The FAF patched game (ForgedAlliance.exe)
The exe for the game is located in C:\ProgramData\FAForever\bin\
The game will require access to the following folders:
  • C:\ProgramData\FAForever\
    The game will store your local replay files and your game log files in this directory
  • %localappdata%\Gas Powered Games\Supreme Commander Forged Alliance\
    This Folder contains the Game.prefs file which is used to store all game related settings/hotkeys etc

i will update this thread with various antivirus software solutions and how to whitelist the faf client and game inside of them respectively whenever i notice a user having issues with an application i haven't mentioned yet
cats>dogs
post logs
PhilipJFry
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 232 times
Been liked: 348 times
FAF User Name: PhilipJFry

Re: File/Folder permission guide

Postby PhilipJFry » 06 Jan 2020, 17:19

Windows Defender
Gets shipped with every copy of Windows 10 and probably one of the most used antivirus solutions for personal use out there.

You can find the ransomware protection in windows defender by opening the settings -> Update & Security -> Windows Security -> Virus & threat detection -> ransomware protection
Assuming you have the Controlled folder access enabled you have to whitelist the FAF client as well as the game itself by clicking on Allow an app through controlled folder acces -> Add an allowed app

Once you've added both the game and the client to the whitelist they will not get blocked by the Windows Security ransomware protection.
windows_defender.png
windows_defender.png (116.45 KiB) Viewed 6186 times
cats>dogs
post logs
PhilipJFry
Supreme Commander

Postby PhilipJFry » 06 Jan 2020, 17:37

Avast Antivirus: ransomware shield
Since i don't want to buy the premium version of Avast to test how it works i will simply assume that the ransomware protection works at all and simply link to the Guide on the official Avast Website so you can read up how to whitelist an application.

avast_ransomware_protection.png
avast_ransomware_protection.png (131.56 KiB) Viewed 6185 times
avast_whitelist.jpg
avast_whitelist.jpg (44.12 KiB) Viewed 6185 times
cats>dogs
post logs
PhilipJFry
Supreme Commander

Postby PhilipJFry » 06 Jan 2020, 17:59

Panda dome Data shield
Again - not going to buy the software to test it myself.
Guide from the official website regarding how to whitelist folders/filetypes/applications.
cats>dogs
post logs
PhilipJFry
Supreme Commander

Return to Tech Support