Seraphim destroyers

Tournaments announces and results.

Moderators: FtXCommando, Stups

Re: Seraphim destroyers

Postby -_V_- » 08 Nov 2012, 16:39

This relation is debatable.

I'm not saying the game should be entirely realistic. I simply remember that CT emphasized the ballistic approach of the game as a key point of the game. So logically I expect the game to follow that path. And really it doesn't make sense that a missile goes through my units without damaging it.
-_V_-
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 65 times

Postby Softly » 08 Nov 2012, 18:23

lasers don't follow a ballistic trajectory so they shouldn't have to come under your idea of realism
Softly
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 251 times
FAF User Name: Softles

Postby GallantDragon » 08 Nov 2012, 20:56

Well, the problem with realism is that if realism becomes overemphasized you eventually get to a point where really important things such as fun, balance, and not-giving-you-a-headache-nessend up being sacrificed to the altar of realism.

And I think we can argue that since this is a game, those things are pretty important.

SupCom isn't the kind of game where those extremely nitpicky aspects of unit positioning and micromanagement could be implemented and work. Imagine how you would feel if you lost a game because a squad of planes just happened to get in the way of your nuke as it was launching, or your entire navy got destroyed due to friendly fire? Even if better unit AI got implemented which prevents Seraphim destroyers from shooting if friendly units were in the way, this would drastically alter the balance of naval engagements, because it would be far more difficult for Sera players to bring their navy to bear properly.

SC FA isn't Total War. This is a game of large-scale strategy, not unit positioning.
GallantDragon

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby Softly » 08 Nov 2012, 21:30

Its ok- We're not shooting for realism, we're shooting for AWESOME
Softly
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 251 times
FAF User Name: Softles

Postby BenDover » 08 Nov 2012, 23:42

GallantDragon wrote:Imagine how you would feel if you lost a game because a squad of planes just happened to get in the way of your nuke as it was launching,

Well that actually happened to me a couple of times :) It is possible to block a launching/landing nuke with planes but you need a lot of luck.

As much as I like playing simulators FA is not one of them, it is still just an RTS game and we should not get too attached to details like perfectly simulating a battlefield and focus more on balancing and keeping the game fun :roll:
BenDover

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 47 times

Postby -_V_- » 09 Nov 2012, 05:28

I still disagree but as long as I can kill my retarded teammates with nuke or TML or T2 bomber or strats (take ur pick) I'm cool with it.
-_V_-
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 65 times

Previous

Return to Tournaments