Can't connect to some players and games

Tournaments announces and results.

Moderators: FtXCommando, Stups

Can't connect to some players and games

Postby Freddy120 » 14 Oct 2012, 12:51

Hello, I have a problem with Forged Alliance. I recently re-bought this game as I had lost my cd and cd key ages ago and installed it just yesterday. I went straight to multiplayer but found out I had to get FAF to get some decent games going so I downloaded it, installed it etc. At first I was seeing red pings, 'nil' and 0 pings and was told I was having connection problems even though I am the only one using up the internet connection and it's a 100mbps connection. I could still connect to some players but most of the time I'd get red 0's. I checked the wiki and tech support forum and found out about the UPnP feature in the settings, I turned that on and it seemed like I could play, I played a custom 2v2 game and it went very smooth, absolutely no problems. I took a break for a couple of hours, I hadn't change anything and I went to play but suddenly I couldn't connect to any games and the few for which I could connect all of the other players had red pings and 0's. I tried turning on and off my firewall in combination with the UPnP setting but it did absolutely nothing. I didn't try port-forwarding because when I try to port-forward it gives me an error that I'm not allowed to open ports on my network. If anyone knows what's the matter here please tell me or point me in the general direction in which I should be looking. Thank you.

These are the logs: FAFOREVER LOG- http://pastebin.com/kQAy346u
GAME LOG- http://pastebin.com/5W1f491X (in this game I managed to connect to the host and then another guy joined but his ping was 0 for me, I then quit the game in the lobby.
Freddy120

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: Freddy120

Re: Can't connect to some players and games

Postby Softly » 14 Oct 2012, 13:16

Try the longer and more definitive fix

http://www.faforever.com/mediawiki/inde ... _solutions
Softly
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 251 times
FAF User Name: Softles

Postby notebag » 14 Oct 2012, 17:49

1. go to internet explorer, go the address bar and type in your ping.

Ways to find your ping:
go to the start menu: type in cmd, then press run.
Once cmd is open type in ipconfig, look at the numbers that come up, the ipv4 with the number following it should be your ip address.

2. enter your user name and password:

if you have not set up your username and password yet or have accessed the files that will allow you to directly communicate to your router, the default for a linksys router is:
username:
password: admin
you can look up other usernames depending on the type of router you have

3. Once you have entered your username and password, go to applications and gaming/port range forwarding.
4. Next, you will want to enter the various ports into these columns

for both tcp and udp
then enable the port
name it what ever you want
enter your custom ip address in the box following: 192.168.1.

9103, 9103
30350, 30351

click save settings, restart your computer and restart your router, you should be able to play with others with out nils.
notebag
Crusader

FAF User Name: notebag

Postby Freddy120 » 17 Oct 2012, 15:46

notebag wrote:1. go to internet explorer, go the address bar and type in your ping.

Ways to find your ping:
go to the start menu: type in cmd, then press run.
Once cmd is open type in ipconfig, look at the numbers that come up, the ipv4 with the number following it should be your ip address.

2. enter your user name and password:

if you have not set up your username and password yet or have accessed the files that will allow you to directly communicate to your router, the default for a linksys router is:
username:
password: admin
you can look up other usernames depending on the type of router you have

3. Once you have entered your username and password, go to applications and gaming/port range forwarding.
4. Next, you will want to enter the various ports into these columns

for both tcp and udp
then enable the port
name it what ever you want
enter your custom ip address in the box following: 192.168.1.

9103, 9103
30350, 30351

click save settings, restart your computer and restart your router, you should be able to play with others with out nils.

I did all of this and it seems my problem is half-way fixed. I can now connect to 70% of players but there are the odd ones that when they join my game or the game I joined that they have red pings while others have fine pings with them.
Freddy120

FAF User Name: Freddy120

Postby Prince__ » 17 Oct 2012, 15:51

Freddy120 wrote:I did all of this and it seems my problem is half-way fixed. I can now connect to 70% of players but there are the odd ones that when they join my game or the game I joined that they have red pings while others have fine pings with them.

Then you are still nil to those peoples.If you can read their sentences in the lobby it's just a bug and the game will start.
Prince__
Priest

Been liked: 4 times
FAF User Name: UES_Prince

Postby notebag » 17 Oct 2012, 23:05

then the problem is on their end, it is not your fault
notebag
Crusader