Mapping Tournament 4 (20x20)

Tournaments announces and results.

Moderators: FtXCommando, Stups

Mapping Tournament 4 (20x20)

Postby FtXCommando » 10 Feb 2020, 01:35

Welcome to ya boi's first mapping tournament. I'll be operating based on the same structure and rules that biass laid out in previous mapping tournaments and will be judging maps with some sort of panel that will be determined once I see the contestants. Rest assured that participants will not be consulted for their opinions on maps.

Timeline: The deadline for submission will be April 1st at 12:00 UTC.

Submission: You will create a 20x20km map and submit the name here alongside any other information you decide is pertinent. A 20x20 map is defined as a map with AT LEAST 15x15 km playable area. Playable area is everything other than the aesthetic “dead space” ie badlands cliffs or bermuda exterior water. The best map authors will be given prizes.

Prizes:
1st Place: The "Grand Sculptor" Avatar alongside $35.
2nd Place: Factional Face Avatar (Or 3rd Place Prize)
3rd Place: Factional Logo Avatar

What kind of map should I be making?
This tournament is intended, for and foremost, to increase the quantity of playable 1v1 20x20 maps. In particular, I am looking for 20x20 maps that do not necessarily force the typical transport rush gameplay in which games are often decided by the initial few trans/ints/scouts of both players. This means try to avoid the gameplay of maps such as Seraphim Glaciers. While I do not mind the submission of these sort of transport rush maps, and will have no problems having one with excellent gameplay as well as excellent aesthetics from winning, I will say that a map that doesn’t force such a focus on that trans gameplay does have a comparative advantage, all other factors being equal.

Also, I will give additional points to a map that is not only good for 1v1, but also 2v2. I do not really have any interest in player quantities beyond 2v2, so while you are free to include it, do not expect me to value it. I am strictly looking at the 1v1 and 2v2 experience. However, if you do not want to make the map 2v2, I have no problem still considering the map. 1v1 is the priority of your submission, 2v2 is supplementary.

I will be grading maps on a score system similar to how ladder team operates. Namely, I will be grading the maps based on their aesthetics, gameplay, and variance. How do gameplay and variance differ? Well, the simple explanation is to just imagine gameplay as a score of how a singular game on your map should be expected to go. Does the average game typically just end in some t1 mass spam with little else mattering? Variety is about the standard deviation of that gameplay. This essentially looks at the range of potential strategies that could be considered viable on the map. So gameplay is about the median experience on the map, while variance is the range of experiences. Aesthetics should be self-explanatory.

Rules:
You may only submit one map per author.
Maps already in the vault at the time of posting may not be submitted.
Maps that are currently in progress may be submitted.
Remasters or Remakes of any kind may not be submitted.

Content is judged by an opinion panel, and like last time I expect that panel to consist of high level players, FAF councilors, and Ladder Team members. To avoid conflicts of interest, opinions of users who have also entered into the competition will not be considered.

There are still mutiple objective requirements. Make sure your content abides by them. Any map found to not meet these requirements will be instantly disqualified and I will not be showing any leniency.
Spoiler: show
Any theme/biome is permitted. (eg Ice, Evergreen, etc)
Any player count is permitted.
No Mass Deposit or Hydrocarbon Deposit limit
No Decal, Prop, or Strata Layer (texture) limit.
Textures missing normal maps, or with an albedo map instead of a normal map unless in very specific cases will be considered a "broken" map, and be disqualified.
Any map name is permitted. Remember to abide by the client rules.
The map must function correctly in the vault/lobby and be completely free of bugs.
- Furthermore, the Mass/Hydrocarbon Deposits must be placed on their decal correctly, and must not be misaligned.
The map must be balanced for competitive play.
- Minor misalignments will be overlooked. Intentional unbalances will result in a DQ.
Are you upset? Are you happy? Are you a FAF Player? Come to the PC Discord and share your thoughts and build the community!

https://discord.gg/Y2dGU8X
FtXCommando
Councillor - Players

Has liked: 234 times
Been liked: 583 times
FAF User Name: FtXCommando

Re: Mapping Tournament 4 (20x20)

Postby FtXCommando » 12 Feb 2020, 19:27

Updated to include the definition of a 20x20 map as well as clarifying the transport rush gameplay issue I’m looking to avoid.
Are you upset? Are you happy? Are you a FAF Player? Come to the PC Discord and share your thoughts and build the community!

FtXCommando
Councillor - Players

Postby Mad`Mozart » 15 Feb 2020, 14:56

The prize pool for this one is a joke.
There's a tourney up at the moment in the very standard FAF format, come and play, and even that offers 50$ for the 1st place.
Mad`Mozart
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 431 times

Postby FtXCommando » 15 Feb 2020, 19:33

If I had infinite money, all tourneys would have infinite prize pools.

FtXCommando
Councillor - Players

Postby Mad`Mozart » 15 Feb 2020, 20:08

Well it's up to you how much to spend on tourneys indeed.
It's also up to you, if you are happy with an underwhelming event or not. Right now the reward is imo not worth making a deliberate entry for the tourney considering the effort and knowledge you have to put/have to make a decent 20x20 map. There's a special ava tho, but a nicer prize pool could make people go out of their way to compete which would only benefit your cause (to have more maps as in your description).
Mad`Mozart
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 431 times

Postby biass » 26 Feb 2020, 17:00

Really not at the level I wanted to put in for this tourney but I submit Gateway and Rose:
viewtopic.php?f=53&t=18520&p=182307#p182307
Map thread: https://bit.ly/2PBsa5H

Petricpwnz wrote:biass on his campaign to cleanse and remake every single map of FAF because he is an untolerating reincarnation of mapping hitler
biass
Contributor

Has liked: 598 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: biass

Postby MadMax » 28 Feb 2020, 04:43

I would like to submit my map Adaptive Furious Road for the mapping tournament.

My map is adaptive so you can play it at an easy level up, to a hardcore level, by changing things like start mex and tech level of defenses.
Last edited by MadMax on 17 Mar 2020, 10:49, edited 1 time in total.
MadMax
Crusader

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 2 times
FAF User Name: MadMax

Postby FtXCommando » 28 Feb 2020, 22:15

MadMax wrote:I would like to submit my map Furious Road for the mapping tournament.

My map is adaptive so you can play it at an easy level up, to a hardcore level, by changing things like start mex and tech level of defenses.

I'm judging adaptive maps off of the 1v1 and 2v2 setup, same as other maps. That means whatever settings are default and whatever mexes are available in the 1v1/2v2 with all other slots closed is what I will judge your map as.

For people that don't know, the 1v1/2v2 setup for all maps will be defined as slots 1+3 v slots 2+4 because this is what ladder uses and what tmm will use.

FtXCommando
Councillor - Players

Postby MadMax » 29 Feb 2020, 00:11

just for clarification does that mean i need to implement the 1v1/2v2 part of the adaptive script or is it a case of manually closing slots at game start
Last edited by MadMax on 29 Feb 2020, 00:52, edited 1 time in total.
MadMax
Crusader

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 2 times
FAF User Name: MadMax

Postby FtXCommando » 29 Feb 2020, 00:49

I have no idea 4head

I'm closing the excess slots in the lobby and judging off of what mexes I see then.

FtXCommando
Councillor - Players

Next

Return to Tournaments