Mapping Tournament 3 (AU Summer of 2020)

Tournaments announces and results.

Moderators: FtXCommando, Stups

Mapping Tournament 3 (AU Summer of 2020)

Postby biass » 03 Jan 2020, 15:53

You have until the 8th of Feburary, at 10pm AEST
Countdown Timer: https://bit.ly/2OuWn5t

Create a 5km map and submit the name here. The best map authors will be given prizes.

1st Place: The "Grand Sculptor" Avatar: Image
2nd Place: Factional Face Avatar (Or 3rd Place Prize)
3rd Place: Factional Logo Avatar

Special rule: maps with viable setups for mutiple players (2v2, 3v3, 4v4) will be given preference over those that do not have them. (for team matchmaking) If you feel you cannot make that work: don't harm the quality of your map by trying, It's all optional.

You may only submit one map per author.
Maps already in the vault at the time of posting may not be submitted.
Maps that are currently in progress may be submitted.
Remasters or Remakes of any kind may not be submitted.

Content is judged by an opinion panel
, and like last time I expect that panel to consist of high level players, FAF councilors, and Ladder Team members. To avoid conflicts of interest, opinions of users who have also entered into the competition will not be considered.

There are still mutiple objective requirements. Make sure your content abides by them. Any map found to not meet these requirements will be instantly disqualified and I will not be showing any leniency.
Spoiler: show
Any theme/biome is permitted. (eg Ice, Evergreen, etc)
Any player count is permitted.
No Mass Deposit or Hydrocarbon Deposit limit
No Decal, Prop, or Strata Layer (texture) limit.
Textures missing normal maps, or with an albedo map instead of a normal map unless in very specific cases will be considered a "broken" map, and be disqualified.
Any map name is permitted. Remember to abide by the client rules.
The map must function correctly in the vault/lobby and be completely free of bugs.
- Furthermore, the Mass/Hydrocarbon Deposits must be placed on their decal correctly, and must not be misaligned.
The map must be balanced for competitive play.
- Minor misalignments will be overlooked. Intentional unbalances will result in a DQ.

Finally; tips for beginners:
Spoiler: show
Use the time given to you to create a competitive entry. Maps started and submitted in the first couple of days will most likely not win a podium position.
You should make sure your textures blend well together and revolve around a theme/biome.
Make sure they're not overscaled and look good from any zoom level.
You should decal your map, and make it very well detailed. adjust the LOD to make sure different decals appear only at certain zoom levels.
Make sure you don't overscale your decals too, and make use of the no decal limit.
Make sure your decals don't show a repeating pattern or are clearly identifiable, you should use other decals to hide them.
Set up your lighting (I'll know if you don't.) and make it fit your textures, highlight your decals, and fit your theme.
If you have water, do the same as above (again, ill know.)
You should make your reclaim look natural, thematic, and dont overuse it.
You should make your mass points look natural too, and distribute them to guide your players.

It's the season for 5km now that snipe mode is out of the game, so it's time to capitalise.
Also; give me back my TD role, you cowards.
Last edited by biass on 31 Jan 2020, 12:09, edited 4 times in total.
Map thread: https://bit.ly/2PBsa5H

Petricpwnz wrote:biass on his campaign to cleanse and remake every single map of FAF because he is an untolerating reincarnation of mapping hitler
biass
Contributor

Has liked: 598 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: biass

Re: Mapping Tournament 3 (Summer of 2020)

Postby FtXCommando » 04 Jan 2020, 03:04

Why summer of 2020 tho?
Are you upset? Are you happy? Are you a FAF Player? Come to the PC Discord and share your thoughts and build the community!

https://discord.gg/Y2dGU8X
FtXCommando
Councillor - Players

Has liked: 234 times
Been liked: 583 times
FAF User Name: FtXCommando

Re: Mapping Tournament 3 (Summer of 2020)

Postby ThomasHiatt » 04 Jan 2020, 04:03

southern hemisphere bois
ThomasHiatt

Has liked: 116 times
Been liked: 110 times
FAF User Name: ThomasHiatt

Re: Mapping Tournament 3 (AU Summer of 2020)

Postby biass » 04 Jan 2020, 09:32

OP updated with the unique avatar reward.

Petricpwnz wrote:biass on his campaign to cleanse and remake every single map of FAF because he is an untolerating reincarnation of mapping hitler
biass
Contributor

Postby UnorthodoxBox » 06 Jan 2020, 04:50

I have just a brief question about the judgment of maps: what will be the weighting of the look of the map vs the gameplay? Another way to word it I guess would be how much weight does the "prettiness" of the map hold vs the actual functionality and way the map plays?
UnorthodoxBox

Has liked: 131 times
Been liked: 54 times
FAF User Name: Box-

Postby biass » 06 Jan 2020, 06:08

For reference: previous winner submisisons

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=16265&hilit=mapping+tournament&start=70#p165595
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=16451&hilit=mapping+tournament&start=40#p167286

I try to take account for both factors as best and as fair as I can.
For example, a map I will not name lost a podium slot because of it's poor use of reclaim.

We have this question every time, if you're going to be cheap about one factor, the other factors will suffer immensely and you're not going to impress me at that point regardless. Try and create something that is well balanced. Make sure you ask for feedback from friends too if you want to refine it before the contest ends.

biass
Contributor

Postby armacham01 » 06 Jan 2020, 18:42

What does it mean to be a 5km map? Could it be like Cobalt Valley (set on a 10x10 but the playable area is roughly 5x5)?

Having unbuildable space around the playable area makes the map more visually appealing and reduces the problem of offmapping (intentional or otherwise). So I would think a map based on the 10x10 size would have an inherent advantage over one built on 5x5. Assuming it is allowed into the tournament.
armacham01

Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 109 times
FAF User Name: arma473

Postby biass » 07 Jan 2020, 05:41

No, 5km means 5km.

biass
Contributor

Postby UnorthodoxBox » 11 Jan 2020, 06:38

Another question, can I upload the map to the vault before entering it into the tournament to make testing with other players easier, or does that disqualify it?
UnorthodoxBox

Has liked: 131 times
Been liked: 54 times
FAF User Name: Box-

Postby biass » 11 Jan 2020, 06:44

UnorthodoxBox wrote:Another question, can I upload the map to the vault before entering it into the tournament to make testing with other players easier, or does that disqualify it?

The only restrictions on upload is that they were not allowed to be in the vault BEFORE the tournament was created.

Maps are downloaded from the vault and tested in the lobby as if it were a regular user playing them, and will be done after the tourney closes. Anything you do in the vault before that time is fair game. Just make sure the exact name of the final version is posted in the thread before the "submissions closed" post.

biass
Contributor

Next

Return to Tournaments