Barons of Trollol Tournament

Tournaments announces and results.

Moderators: FtXCommando, Stups

Barons of Trollol Tournament

Postby armacham01 » 09 Feb 2019, 09:09

Proposed structure for tournament:

Teams of 4 players each.

Each game is 4v4 on Finn's of Trollol. Must register as a full team (4 players) no individual registrants. Teams are odd vs. even (meaning: 1 player for each team on each island).

Unit restrictions: NO AURORAS and NO ZHTHUEEYS. We are going to have proper games. That means no floaty t1 spam.

There will be a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th place winner.

The members of the team that win 1st place get $50 each. ($200 prize money)

There will be two "bonus matches" after the tournament. The first bonus match is for a $40 prize, it is an FFA match on Finn's of trollol. The players are the members of 2nd place and 3rd place teams. The second bonus match is for a $20 prize, also an FFA on Finn's of Trollol. The players are the members of 1st place and 4th place teams.

Proposed date for Tournament: April 1, 2019.

In terms of players, preference would be given to higher ratings. Perhaps there should be a minimum team rating (e.g., team must have at least 6000 points between the 4 members in terms of the custom games ladder).

Please advise whether this is acceptable for a tournament and any advice (in terms of how I should change things) is welcome.
armacham01

Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 109 times
FAF User Name: arma473

Re: Barons of Trollol Tournament

Postby armacham01 » 09 Feb 2019, 09:10

Also, who is going to help me to host this thing? FTX commando says I shouldn't host it myself given that i am new to the whole tournament thing.
armacham01

Postby armacham01 » 09 Feb 2019, 10:48

And, if it wasn't clear: i am proposing to personally fully fund this tournament ($260).
armacham01

Postby Rowey » 09 Feb 2019, 11:26

Im unable to fine the Map you are wanting to use in the Vault. it does not seem to exsiste with that name
Rowey
Contributor

Has liked: 93 times
Been liked: 71 times
FAF User Name: Rowey

Postby Plasma_Wolf » 09 Feb 2019, 15:34

The exact map name is "FINNS OF TROLOLOL"
Plasma_Wolf
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 91 times
FAF User Name: Plasma_Wolf

Postby Blodir » 09 Feb 2019, 16:26

Aurora and zthuee arent a problem on that map
Blodir
Contributor

Has liked: 489 times
Been liked: 535 times
FAF User Name: Snowbound

Postby Bullydozer » 09 Feb 2019, 18:17

if you allow aurora, chances are all 8 players choose aeon. zthuees shouldn't be an issue though
Bullydozer

Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 19 times
FAF User Name: Bullydozer

Postby armacham01 » 12 Feb 2019, 07:24

I am flexible about the structure of the tournament (if there should be two levels, e.g. 1200-1600 and 1700-2500, like the "prince" and "king" tournaments). We can have "barons" and "baronets"

I would like there to be not TOO many games so people aren't getting tired, which seems to happen in some of the longer 1v1 tournaments. So I think best of 1 is the way to go, but maybe we could do best of 3 for the championship. I definitely want a chance for the diversity of tactics available on TROLOL to be shown by some of the best players. E.g. early bomber, walking the ACU across to other islands, ACUs lurking along the shore, and other shenanigans.

But not the tactic of sending floaty t1 spam out. There are many small islands with mexes on FINNS OF TROLOL and I could see auroras or zthueeys being very effective against them. And people could send zthueeys or auroras against another player's starting location or naval factories. So I think, to get the kind of games that I am envisioning, I have to insist on not having those units, which probably means i should just prohibit the two factions entirely.

I assume the best day to do it is Saturday March 30 or Sunday March 31, to have an April Fool's Day theme but not put it on a weekday. I am not insistent on that theme and I'm willing to put it on another day.

When I proposed to end the day with an FFA game or two, I was thinking about ending the tournament on a lighthearted note. But I'm not sure that's going to work. For one thing, some of the players might cooperate too much in an FFA if there is a prize at stake. So maybe there needs to be some other way to end it. Like one or more 4v4 matches with scrambled starting locations on maps like Seraphim Glaciers, Ocil Wetlands, or even Seton's. Basically if you win the tournament you get the right to participate in a bonus match for a second cash prize, and this bonus match is also amusing to spectators. Every single game should be fun to watch, is the goal here.
armacham01

Postby Platinumizer » 14 Feb 2019, 15:56

Unit restrictions are dumb, why would anyone play sera or aeon then, thats like restricting 2 factions
Vee - "Never ever make pgens before hydro. The BO gods will curse you for that."
Platinumizer

Has liked: 27 times
Been liked: 12 times
FAF User Name: Platinumizer

Postby armacham01 » 14 Feb 2019, 22:20

In theory a player from another faction could gift them an engineer to build an off-race land factory, which would fill the hole from the unit restriction without completely removing the race from the game. I think a sera player could survive the first 2 minutes without light artillery. It might be harder for aeon to get by without auroras for the first few minutes.
armacham01

Next

Return to Tournaments