Mapping Tournament 1 (JUNE 2018)

Tournaments announces and results.

Moderators: FtXCommando, Stups

Mapping Tournament 1 (JUNE 2018)

Postby biass » 01 Jun 2018, 08:46

This is something i always thought should be done but is perhaps only something that I can provide.

You have to the end of June (30 days)
Create a 5km map and submit the name here. The best authors will be awarded prizes.

1st Place: Tournament Winner Avatar (Or 2nd and 3rd Place Prize)
2nd Place: Factional Face Avatar (Or 3rd Place Prize)
3rd Place: Factional Logo Avatar

The map deemed to most original will be awarded the Winner of Hearts Avatar. you may not win both a podium prize and the WoH at the same time. You will be asked to choose between the two if this occurs.

You may submit more then one map. However you may only obtain one reward per author.

While this contest is judged by an opinion panel. There are still objective requirements. Please make sure your content fits these restrictions before submitting. Any map found not following these will be instantly disqualified.

Restrictions:
Spoiler: show
5km.
Any theme/biome is permitted. (eg Ice, Evergreen, etc)
Any player count is permitted.
No Mass Deposit or Hydrocarbon Deposit limit
No decal, or texture (Strata Layer) limit.
Any map name is permitted. Remember to abide by the client rules.
The map must function correctly in the vault/lobby and be completely free of bugs.
- Furthermore, the Mass/Hydrocarbon Deposits must be placed on their decal correctly, and must not be misaligned.
The map must be balanced for competitive play
- Minor misalignments will be overlooked. Intentional unbalances will result in a DQ
- Already uploaded maps may not be submitted. Maps currently in progress can be submitted.
- Remasters/Remakes of existing maps may not be submitted.

Please monitor this post for updates to both the rules and the prizes. Ask any questions below.

Some advice from me, to you:
Spoiler: show
You should make sure your textures blend well together and revolve around a theme/biome.
Make sure they're not overscaled and look good from any zoom level.
You should decal your map, and make it very well detailed. adjust the LOD to make sure different decals appear only at certain zoom levels.
Make sure you don't overscale your decals too, and make use of the no decal limit.
Set up your lighting (I'll know if you dont.) and make it fit your textures and your decals.
If you have water, do the same as above (again, ill know)
You should make your reclaim look natural, and dont overuse it.
You should make your mass points look natural too, and distribute them to guide your players.
Last edited by biass on 01 Jun 2018, 13:27, edited 2 times in total.
Map thread: https://bit.ly/2PBsa5H

Petricpwnz wrote:biass on his campaign to cleanse and remake every single map of FAF because he is an untolerating reincarnation of mapping hitler
biass
Contributor

Has liked: 598 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: biass

Re: Mapping Tournament 1 (JUNE 2018)

Postby Farmsletje » 01 Jun 2018, 09:14

crazyrush 10x10

tourney winner ava please
FtXCommando wrote:
need to give him some time to blossom into an aids flower
Farmsletje
Contributor

Has liked: 383 times
Been liked: 452 times
FAF User Name: Farmsletje

Postby Apofenas » 01 Jun 2018, 10:12

I had similiar idea too. But i didn't have any criteria to use to understand which map is a winner and which map is "most original". How would you judge maps?

I wanted to host split tourney in 2 tourneys: map making and playing created maps with circle style system. So every player plays every map exept their own during tourney and than vote which map they liked most. Though this style requires more games the more players you get. So if there are 16 players, you'd either need 15 games for each player, or split them to groups. 2d would be good, as you may not win any game in your group, but your map will win vote in it and proceed to next round and and potentially win you a place with voting.

One more thing. I think you need to restrict tourney to new maps that aren't in vault yet, so every player has even amount of time to create a map from scratch and not use content that exists for years already.
BalanceVictim wrote:I tried it out, and yes, the anti-torpedo is a useful tool now. Sadly, the rest of the unit is still extremely weak compared to any other frig
Apofenas
Contributor

Has liked: 179 times
Been liked: 180 times
FAF User Name: Apofenas

Postby biass » 01 Jun 2018, 10:35

Not using completed maps was supposed to be in the rules but I've forgotten, I'll answer the other bits and add that rule when I'm home

Petricpwnz wrote:biass on his campaign to cleanse and remake every single map of FAF because he is an untolerating reincarnation of mapping hitler
biass
Contributor

Postby Morax » 01 Jun 2018, 12:38

Could one make a map like Cobalt valley which is pretty much 5x5, but strictly has 5x5 dimensions area where actual gameplay can occur?
Maps and Modifications Councilor

M&M Discord Channel

Come join us and help create content with the artists of FAF.
Morax
Councillor - Maps and Mods

Has liked: 1167 times
FAF User Name: Morax

Postby biass » 01 Jun 2018, 13:37

I've updated the post to include the rules i forgot, and the advice.

Farmsletje wrote:crazyrush 10x10

5km only b u d

Morax wrote:Could one make a map like Cobalt valley which is pretty much 5x5, but strictly has 5x5 dimensions area where actual gameplay can occur?

Negative.
I wanted to do 7.5km maps to open up. But i decided to make it simple to ease people into it and thus grab more submissions.

Apofenas wrote:How would you judge maps?

With the help of other people:

For quality:
One can look over the more objective parts like natural mass point/reclaim and also see where things might appear less quality due to over-scaling, contrast. etc. In the end however, this is still going to be a very subjective tournament. And the selections to receive prizes will most definitely have rationale behind their choosing.
For originality:
This is mostly theme dependant. For example mixing up all the resources you have and churning out a new biome will net you more points for originality then just making another forest/ice map. I doubt players will win the originality contest based on gameplay style. But i will most definitely get players better then me to lend their opinion in.

Speaking of. If you want to help decide winners, send me a forum PM.
I won't allow people to both pick and also submit content to avoid conflicts of interest. Choose wisely.

biass
Contributor

Postby Morax » 01 Jun 2018, 14:01

Blah, this is going to distract me from making FaF editor tutorials haha.

Good to see someone doing this finally, though. Thanks for organizing.
Maps and Modifications Councilor

M&M Discord Channel

Come join us and help create content with the artists of FAF.
Morax
Councillor - Maps and Mods

Has liked: 1167 times
FAF User Name: Morax

Postby Uveso » 01 Jun 2018, 17:00

Should a good map not also have AI markers ?
Uveso
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 70 times
Been liked: 291 times
FAF User Name: Uveso

Postby TheKoopa » 01 Jun 2018, 17:01

Nah
Feather: I am usually pretty good in judging people's abilities, intelligence and motives

Evildrew: Just because I didnt choose you for my team last year doesnt give you the right to be all bitchy and negative about my proposal
TheKoopa
Contributor

Has liked: 172 times
Been liked: 225 times
FAF User Name: Gently-

Postby Farmsletje » 01 Jun 2018, 17:32

no
FtXCommando wrote:
need to give him some time to blossom into an aids flower
Farmsletje
Contributor