ColonelSheppard
Contributor

Has liked: 154 times
Been liked: 165 times
FAF User Name: Sheppy

Re: Help, i'm new! v2

Postby Eukanuba » 15 Feb 2013, 16:19

Flynn wrote:Dear Col. Sheppard

I have a question. As we all know, assisting a factory with engines is more efficient than building a second factory. But if I want interceptors AND bombers I find it is quicker to build two factories each with assistance than to build 1 factory making 1 interceptor and 1 bomber with mass assistance of engines.

Please explain this.

The advantage of this method is that it's easier to separate out the two types of plane, for example you could assign one factory Ctrl-group 4 and the other Ctrl-group 5, and therefore select all fighters or all bombers by pressing the appropriate key.

In fact I think I will do this more often.

Excellent work Shep, kudos to you.
Eukanuba
Priest

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: Eukanuba

Postby Flynn » 15 Feb 2013, 16:34

It just feels like it is faster to have 2 factories producing at a relatively fast pace than 1 factory producing at a furious pace for some reason.
Flynn
Evaluator

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 8 times
FAF User Name: Flynn

Postby Voodoo » 15 Feb 2013, 17:07

It is better to have more then one air factory at the early game as you haven't enough engies to asisst them. After around 15 min game time it's better to switch to one high asissted factory (maybe t2).
Voodoo

Has liked: 251 times
Been liked: 344 times
FAF User Name: Voodoo

Re: Help, i'm new!

Postby ColonelSheppard » 16 Feb 2013, 18:25

it's done, make it sticky
ColonelSheppard
Contributor

Postby rxnnxs » 27 Feb 2013, 19:38

Thank you very much for your invested time to show us how to begin with.
It is really important to know how to start and what "hidden" abilities the game offers.
So I really appreciate what you have done. It is really good work and time you have put in this. I usually do NOT easy give a thumb up, but this work really deserves it.

Whatever, I have there one question and maybe it is already answered in your replays (I am still working through it). But I do not have the time I had in former days....

So here it comes, my question list, sure also interesting for many others:
– the simultaneous attack, is it really working? I never was able to see two armies attacking at the same time.. :oops:

– how can i "cheat" like you did? I want to spawn units to find out how they behave. it is not possible to do that in a skirmish. one time the enemy (AI) acts too stupid, the other time he is too good, and sometimes he is not building anything anymore, sometimes he gets stuck...
and i want to test the WALLs, and formations and so on... how can i spawn enemy units?
I even tried to give my units to the enemy, but thats not possible...

– the walls are behaving kind of odd. i watch them closely when around a point defense. the shots hit the point defense but the damage is somehow reduced. what is now doing the math here? ALSO, i use to build 4 wall sections instead of 8. is it really that better? questions like this want me to test it out. but you have to admit that for many reasons a real testing with other persons or ACU is very hard. but i quite do really not have the time to build up the economy and play half an our to spoil or forget my research if was going to do.

– Is there an easy way to start an FAF game (I host a game and play against an AI to train myself) and save it then? Because I do not know how to start a skirmish that is saveable with the latest FAF patch.

Thanks in advance, I got to go :-)
rxnnxs
Priest

Has liked: 92 times
Been liked: 24 times
FAF User Name: rxnnxs

Postby ColonelSheppard » 27 Feb 2013, 19:49

to 1)
no

to 2)
Alt-F2
(i mention this in the very first one i think)

to 3)
dmg is not reduced in any way by walls, the PD will only recive less dmg if you hit the wall instead (what happens quite often)

to 4)
Multiplayer games cannot be saved, there is a modification for this somewhere no idea if it is working, if you only play AI execute the Fa.exe in the hidden FAF folder
ColonelSheppard
Contributor

Postby GallantDragon » 28 Feb 2013, 01:01

the hidden folder is in C:\Programdata, fyi.
GallantDragon

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby rxnnxs » 28 Feb 2013, 13:13

ColonelSheppard wrote:to 1)
no

to 2)
Alt-F2
(i mention this in the very first one i think)

to 3)
dmg is not reduced in any way by walls, the PD will only recive less dmg if you hit the wall instead (what happens quite often)

to 4)
Multiplayer games cannot be saved, there is a modification for this somewhere no idea if it is working, if you only play AI execute the Fa.exe in the hidden FAF folder

1) is this maybe fixable? is there any fgood use to it?

2) Could you explain that a bit more? Is there a menu and is it self explaining? What replay is it talked about? If it is one of the early ones, i have watched them but then it is just mentioned and not explained.

3) when i look at the impacts of the shots, the PD is hit, NOT the walls. but the damage is not as big as withotu the walls. i do ask for a reason and i am thinking about using walls more often. but therefore one has to know, how it really works..

4) thanks, good to know!
rxnnxs
Priest

Has liked: 92 times
Been liked: 24 times
FAF User Name: rxnnxs

Postby ColonelSheppard » 28 Feb 2013, 13:41

1) probably no & no
2) it's 100% self explaining
3) the hitbox of a wall is slightly bigger than the animation, this might cause this impression
stopping tankfire or commanderfire with walls does work good, especially if the terrain is not flat(always build walls around your T1 PD)
ColonelSheppard
Contributor

PreviousNext

Return to LabWars