Fullscreen script (Dual Screen & Single Screen)

Talk about general things concerning Forged Alliance Forever.

Moderators: FtXCommando, Ze Dogfather

Re: Fullscreen script (updated)

Postby tatsu » 16 Mar 2017, 14:53

xx4u2NVxx wrote:Oh, no I haven't implemented your script yet. I will try later this afternoon. just busy with work and all. I'll let you know. Thanks for the help, much appreciation :)

any luck? :D
tatsu
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 1952 times
Been liked: 171 times
FAF User Name: tatsu

Postby smbrr » 11 Jul 2017, 11:33

Hello,

I've tried everything in this thread and got it working without issue but it doesn't fix my issue: my monitors are of different resolutions and not perfectly aligned... my main is 1440p and I've got a small 900p next to it so the dualscreen mod + ahk script doesn't work. Even if I put it at 2560*2 = 5120, the middle separation does not fit at the right edge of my main monitor, and even if it did, the second screen is way too small so the makeshift minimap is zoomed in... I'd use the normal dual screen thing from the game but it's creating insane screen tearing when I zoom in my main game so that's not an option

have I missed something? Am I the only one with different monitors?
smbrr

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: smbrr

Postby tatsu » 12 Jul 2017, 00:06

smbrr wrote:Hello,

I've tried everything in this thread and got it working without issue but it doesn't fix my issue: my monitors are of different resolutions and not perfectly aligned... my main is 1440p and I've got a small 900p next to it so the dualscreen mod + ahk script doesn't work. Even if I put it at 2560*2 = 5120, the middle separation does not fit at the right edge of my main monitor, and even if it did, the second screen is way too small so the makeshift minimap is zoomed in... I'd use the normal dual screen thing from the game but it's creating insane screen tearing when I zoom in my main game so that's not an option

have I missed something? Am I the only one with different monitors?

nah I used to be in the same case which pushed me to play single screen

there's no solution for that other than to buy another screen that fits the resolution of one of the two.
tatsu
Supreme Commander

Postby smbrr » 13 Jul 2017, 16:47

Ok, I'll stay on single screen then.
smbrr

FAF User Name: smbrr

Postby tatsu » 13 Jul 2017, 18:29

smbrr wrote:Ok, I'll stay on single screen then.

you can still (and should!) use ui party just turn off the splitting and ui rearranging features.
tatsu
Supreme Commander

Postby zaproid » 31 Jul 2017, 01:51

Hey,

Awesome work guys! I love the script and works fine with my screens, one problem tho:

The script takes your main screen and extends the windowed game to the right, so the extra "split screen" ends up hidden for me because my main screen is the right one, how to I get the "split screen" to extend to the left? Currently I can get it working, by setting my left screen with the control panel to the right. This means in order to use my left screen I would have to move the mouse over to the right (if this still makes sense), which isn't a problem, since this would be the screen used in strategic view for map awereness so I won't be going back and forth between the screens, disorienting myself. However changing this setting in control panel everytime I want to play FAF is going to be annoying. Any help?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EDIT:I figured it out. You take this line of code from CodingSquirrel's post
Code: Select all
WinMove, % "ahk_exe " procName , , 0, 0, 3840, 1080 ; move the window to 0,0 and resize it to fit across 2 monitors.

and change it to
WinMove, % "ahk_exe " procName , , -1920, 0, 3840, 1080 ; move the window to 0,0 and resize it to fit across 2 monitors.

Naturally you want the value to fit your screens, for me it was -1680 for example.

However, getting all the UI mods and important bits of UI to work on the right side is a problem in of itself I realized, so it is probablyt easier for me to either move my monitors or mess with the control panel.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EDITv2: Okay I have been messing about with UI mods and have finnaly gotten my stuff to a point I am happy with. I'll detail more info for people who are in the same boat as I am (right screen main, left secondary)

The first problem I had was not seeing the extra screen after implementing this script, solution above.

After that another problem for me was that when you activate the split screen feature in Supreme Commander all of the important UI pieces will appear on the left screen. This is aproblem, because I don't want to use my left screen for the main gameplay, but as a map in the strategic view. Also my left screen is at an angle not straight a cross me (I don't want to have a sore neck from playing FAF). To solve this problem I used a mod called Ui-festival (Link: github com/b2ag/ui-festival)

Re: New Mod: UI Party

Postby b2ag » 02 Apr 2017, 12:15
Hi,

I forked UI Party and removed split screen unrelated stuff. I also added some features like
- split can be configured (so it doesn't have to be 50/50 anymore),
- UI elements can be send to left or right view,
- initial zoom can be configured for left and right individually.
I have not yet made it work with Coop games, so I couldn't add sliders for all the Coop specific UI elements.

i.imgur com/YME21Pv.jpg

Git is here:
github com/b2ag/ui-festival

Have fun!

As you can see it is an amazing mod for solving my problems and if this mod helps you as well, go to Page 19 of the Ui-Party thread (viewtopic.php?f=41&t=9776&start=180) and show b2ag some love for this wonderful tool.

(Getting ridiculous all ready)

Lastly, something I also needed to deal with was a custom resolution for my TV (which is my left and secondary screen). TV's are notorious for having the screen go beyond the monitors edges when hooked up to a PC. This is because TV's compensate for shows and films so there would be no weird caping black lines at the sides, top or bottom of the screen which would ruin the viewing experience. Now with some, but mostly newer TV's you can simply use the remote to change the picture size or P.SIZE. In other words the ratio of the screen (the TV usually displays a text to signify what ratio you just changed to - i.e. 16:9 or 4:3. Also newer TV's have more of these, meaning more chances to find one that will fit your desktop to the TV). I, as stated earlier, needed to create a custom resolution (none of my TV's P.SIZE's fit my desktop). If you have a NVIDIA video card go to your NVIDIA Control Panel->Display->Change resolution. There you want to pick the problematic monitor, pick the highest possible resolution available for it and apply changes. After that go to Display->Adjust desktop size and position. Again pick the problematic monitor and go to Size, enable desktop resizing, Apply the changes and click "Resize..."
PS! You want to first change the resolution, because you want to resize the highest quality resolution, to prevent blurriness.
PPS! You need to enable desktop resizing and apply this change before the Control Panel allows you to actually resize the screen on the monitor.
After that it gives you a window to resize your screen, You want for white lines to appear at the edges of the screen to make sure that the desktop fully fits yet not overextends your monitor.

This is a very bare-bones and monkey-wrenched solution though so if you are looking to have your resized screen's resolution match your other screen's resolution you'll have to find somebody smarter :/ (for me it is always off by a few pixels and then it isn't fully fit to the screen which makes it look hideous, so I have settled with somewhat similar but not identical resolutions)

If you had to read this far, well shit son, get yourself a cookie (or a beer), because your setup has been giving you one hell of a migrane hasn't it? I hope this helps someone and uh... good luck.

PPPS! @tatsu Thank you! And well done to you and @CodingSquirrel as well, this is a wonderful tool!
Last edited by zaproid on 03 Aug 2017, 03:03, edited 1 time in total.
zaproid
Crusader

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 2 times
FAF User Name: zaproid

Postby tatsu » 31 Jul 2017, 06:28

well done @zaproid.

use UI party to tidy things up ! :D
tatsu
Supreme Commander

Postby Baccy » 23 Aug 2017, 16:17

Hey, is there anyway to get this script working so when i go onto my other monitor FA doesn't minimise?
Baccy

FAF User Name: Baccy

Postby tatsu » 24 Aug 2017, 20:41

Baccy wrote:Hey, is there anyway to get this script working so when i go onto my other monitor FA doesn't minimise?

the whole point is that it doesn't do that.

I dunno what you did to make that happen. check to see if you have a resolution set in FA under "resolution" in options. if yes turn it to "windowed"
tatsu
Supreme Commander

Postby JoonasTo » 12 Sep 2017, 10:47

I didn't like having this script running all the time for nothing so I made myself an .exe file to run it only when FAF is started and kill it when it's closed.

If your FAForever is installed in the default directory, here's a list of .exe files you can download directly to match your screen resolution(currently single screen setups only.) Simply unzip the appropriate file where ever you want, for example, your desktop and use it to start the game(fancy people put it into FAForever directory and just link the original shortcut to it.)

SEXY LINK

Spoiler: show
Now the .exe is specific to the path you have installed your FAF into but there's no reason I couldn't share the .bat that makes this all happen.

1. Copy your borderless AutoHotkey.ahk and AutoHotkey.exe to your FAF install folder and rename them FABorderless.ahk and FABorderless.exe. You don't need to install the AutoHotkey program itself, just use the zip file they provide. Take only the exe from there and create the script with notepad.

2. Create FAF.bat file(with notepad, for example) in your FAF folder and paste this inside it:
@echo off

SETLOCAL EnableExtensions

set EXE=FABorderless.exe
set EXE2=FAForever.exe

FOR /F %%x IN ('tasklist /NH /FI "IMAGENAME eq %EXE%"') DO IF %%x == %EXE% goto FIN
start FABorderless.exe
goto FIN
:FIN

FOR /F %%x IN ('tasklist /NH /FI "IMAGENAME eq %EXE2%"') DO IF %%x == %EXE2% goto FIN
FAForever.exe
taskkill /im FABorderless.exe
goto FIN

3. Use this bat file to start FAF. Now your autohotkey script will only run as long as FAF is running and be terminated when it's closed.

4.(Optional) Point your FAForever shortcut to the new bat file for easy access

If you're a bit handy with computers, you can create an exe file out of the bat with IExpress to not have the ugly cmd window stay open. For it to work, the bat file code needs to be modified to point to your FAF install directory like so:
@echo off

SETLOCAL EnableExtensions

set EXE=FABorderless.exe
set EXE2=FAForever.exe

FOR /F %%x IN ('tasklist /NH /FI "IMAGENAME eq %EXE%"') DO IF %%x == %EXE% goto FIN
start FABorderless.exe
goto FIN

FOR /F %%x IN ('tasklist /NH /FI "IMAGENAME eq %EXE2%"') DO IF %%x == %EXE2% goto FIN
YOUR FAF INSTALL DIRECTORY\FAForever.exe
taskkill /im FABorderless.exe
goto FIN
After which you can launch IExpress and select all the hidden options, include the bat file in the exe and make it run silently without that ugly window.

PS. These do not include the affinity/priority settings because I am unclear on the licensing on the required files for it.
I might have heard in passing about a shady link to a version that does for dual 1080p screens and twelve cores.
JoonasTo
Priest

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 81 times
FAF User Name: JoonasTo

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions