Optimizing your Experience with Forged Alliance - It works

Talk about general things concerning Forged Alliance Forever.

Moderators: FtXCommando, Ze Dogfather

Re: Optimizing your Experience with Forged Alliance - It wor

Postby galacticfear » 24 Feb 2015, 18:57

-_V_- wrote: My guess is the longer the game gets, the more you gain from those tweaks.

O RLY?!?
galacticfear

Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 85 times
FAF User Name: galacticfear

Postby -_V_- » 24 Feb 2015, 19:00

ELEMENTARY MY DEAR WATSON :mrgreen:
-_V_-
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 65 times

Postby SomeoneAUS » 25 Feb 2015, 05:05

There are several processes on windows that use core0 as their primary core... using approx 1-3% cpu. SupCom also defaults to using this as the main SIM core. By telling SupCom that it is not to use that core it picks one of the remaining cores. As there is nothing running on that core it can use 100% of the core by itself rather than needing to share that 1-3% with other windows processes. The more crap you have running in the background that defaults to using core0 the more improvement you will see by telling SupCom not to use that core.

Setting priority is similar reasoning. There are processes that balance themselves across all available cores. Setting the priority of SupCom to be higher than these processes basically allows SupCom to say nope those cpu cycles are mine as I am higher priority. Most multicore apps will then just balance themselves across the remaining quieter cores. This should happen anyway if the core they are competing for is being utilized at 100% so it is strange that this made a difference.
SomeoneAUS
Crusader

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: SomeoneAUS

Postby -_V_- » 25 Feb 2015, 12:32

I would agree it's a bit shady, but it does work. All that matters to me :)
-_V_-
Supreme Commander

Postby Col_Walter_Kurtz » 25 Feb 2015, 15:34

I assume all background applications are disabled and you made sure that the result is not randomly influenced by turbo?
Col_Walter_Kurtz
Priest

Has liked: 42 times
Been liked: 45 times
FAF User Name: Apocalypse_Now

Postby KD7BCH » 25 Feb 2015, 18:13

I have an FX-8350 and will try this. I will report my findings as well.
The Gun Down
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPmuSnJiV0o
KD7BCH
Priest

Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 12 times
FAF User Name: KD7BCH

Postby -_V_- » 26 Feb 2015, 05:57

_VODKA_ wrote:I assume all background applications are disabled and you made sure that the result is not randomly influenced by turbo?

Please let me know how you manage to make sure ALL background applications are closed/idle , on a modern OS. Please enlighten me :roll:

Once again, I do not care about the theory. Only that in a *practical* scenario, of what happens.

In a real life situation, it showed significant improvement for me (and at least some others). So it's worth trying , at the very least.
-_V_-
Supreme Commander

Postby Col_Walter_Kurtz » 26 Feb 2015, 11:12

I said applications, not processes. :mrgreen: Just close steam, skype, antivirus, all that stuff. Also, from your reply I gather that you did not think of fixing the core frequency? Turbo could have skewed your testing.
Col_Walter_Kurtz
Priest

Has liked: 42 times
Been liked: 45 times
FAF User Name: Apocalypse_Now

Postby -_V_- » 26 Feb 2015, 12:45

Yes because processus are almost NEVER attached to applications/executables , right. Sure theyre not fork of executable codes, na na :roll:

I wonder how far you gonna go to deny that it works, at least for some of us -> and that it's no harm tryin :)
-_V_-
Supreme Commander

Postby Typo91 » 27 Feb 2015, 16:20

Wasting everyone's time with this thread....

Lets say somehow this is true... as a fellow 2600k owner, I think its fair to say you know what I am talking about when I say its NEVER us with the low sim speed in 40+ min setons games... its always some random dork that doesn't even have the common decency to jump into an 8 player game with a competent rig, let alone read about a tweak like this on the forums.

They are playing on the wifi, or 4 simspeeds below the average player in game, or they got windows updates blowing up there bandwidth...

gota love those guys... they are too cheap to upgrade their hardware, and they are so used to playing at -3 (probably with 10FPS or less to match) while they expertly rig their entire base to blow up with a rehearsed eco build, they actually manage to through off your rhythm with a declining game speed while you try and stop the maddening torture with the fastest ACU snipe you can think of to end it.
Typo91

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 8 times
FAF User Name: Typo91

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions