Game engine & Nordic Games

Talk about general things concerning Forged Alliance Forever.

Moderators: FtXCommando, Ze Dogfather

Game engine & Nordic Games

Postby Dr_Doolittle » 08 May 2014, 00:40

Hi all,

I've been told that it doesn't take a lot of time to fix the game engine so that is has multi core support.

Now my idea is to ask them nicely to give us the engine so we can fix this for them (by contract). For free. Their benefit: far more people will start playing & buying this game as any quad core CPU can run this game now. Our benefit: more FAF members and normal gameplay.

Greetings,
Doolittle
Crêpe toujours
Dr_Doolittle

Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 6 times
FAF User Name: Stoop-ID

Re: Game engine & Nordic Games

Postby Xinnony » 08 May 2014, 01:24

This topic has been raised several times.

However if you can esseyer to demand.
But we must act :\
Xinnony
Contributor

Has liked: 70 times
Been liked: 34 times
FAF User Name: Xinnony

Postby Sheeo » 08 May 2014, 01:25

Fine and dandy.

Do you have the skills/will to do this? Or do you know of an able programmer willing to do this for free?

It's really not as simple as "multi core support". You can't just parallelize everything mercilessly, especially in this game where you need to preserve determinism of the simulation.

Certainly going through the code and improving where improvements can be made would be good, but "multi core" is not a golden nugget that will just make the game super fast. There are certainly more ways to make the game run better.
Support FAF on patreon: https://www.patreon.com/faf?ty=h

Peek at our continued development on github: https://github.com/FAForever
Sheeo
Councillor - Administrative

Has liked: 109 times
Been liked: 233 times
FAF User Name: Sheeo

Postby Dr_Doolittle » 08 May 2014, 02:15

Sheeo wrote:Certainly going through the code and improving where improvements can be made would be good, but "multi core" is not a golden nugget that will just make the game super fast. There are certainly more ways to make the game run better.

Just tell me, what ways are those and are those better ways?

The main problem of this game is it not having multi core support. It's even more important than balance. It's the reason why lots of gamers were not able to play this game and hated it because it's a damn slideshow.

If we manage find people who know how to do this and are wílling to do this (maybe we can even pay them), we can start making a plan to peruade Nordic Games to let us code this. The'd be able to make new advertisements for this game as the recommended processors would actually be accurate now. Put it in Steam news, some sites like PCGamer and they'll have new customers. We have the gameplay we want plus they have the money they want. Win win.
Crêpe toujours
Dr_Doolittle

Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 6 times
FAF User Name: Stoop-ID

Postby Aulex » 08 May 2014, 04:27

Well there are loads of issues here, one being Nordic Games does not care about sup com and I doubt they want a bunch of random people altering. Another is finding people, this probably won't take a few weeks but maybe a year or more of full time work for a few people at least. If you want to pay them their salary by all means go ahead, but it's not an easy task. I like the optimism, but realistically unless Nordic Games is willing to optimize themselves which I doubt they want to waste their time with, this realistically will not happen.
"Let's start beating ass and die" - drunk TA4Life

"Just because you have a d*** doesn't mean you need to be one...pussy" -Blackdeath

SCOUTING SAVES LIVES
http://imgur.com/YGk0W0o

How to play Sup Com by Ubilaz
http://goo.gl/je83z
Aulex
Contributor

Has liked: 299 times
Been liked: 225 times
FAF User Name: VoR_Aulex

Postby Ze_PilOt » 08 May 2014, 08:01

Read the previous topics about the same subject. Short answer even if Nordic was okay :
Not easy, have to pay for third party licenses used in FA.
Nossa wrote:I've never played GPG or even heard of FA until FAF started blowing up.
Ze_PilOt
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 376 times
FAF User Name: Ze_PilOt

Postby rootbeer23 » 08 May 2014, 12:06

all problems can be overcome.
third party module? replace it with a similar component.
You should write them a letter. What we are asking is reasonable.
rootbeer23
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 31 times
FAF User Name: root2342

Postby Ze_PilOt » 08 May 2014, 12:08

Do you think I've waited for someone to propose on the forum to ask?
Nossa wrote:I've never played GPG or even heard of FA until FAF started blowing up.
Ze_PilOt
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 376 times
FAF User Name: Ze_PilOt

Postby IceDreamer » 08 May 2014, 15:32

PilOt's already spoken to them after the breakup of THQ. Yes, doing this IS possible if Nordic were to allow it, but it would require expertise, time, and money and cooperation from other involved parties on the scale of making a brand new game. Parallelisation is not easy, and in effect requires the entire game engine to be rewritten from the ground up, not to mention that if this were to happen we would want to fix bugs, change the pathfinding, and do all sorts of other things too. It's a 2 year, 5 person full time project, and it's just not going to happen.
IceDreamer
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 488 times

Postby Zyneak » 08 May 2014, 17:45

Well I work on games. I can tell you for a fact, it's not a a two years to add multi-core support. To be honest if I got a license, I would love to improve Sup-Com.

If you can get it let me know. ;)
Programming, one line at a time.
Zyneak
Crusader

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 3 times
FAF User Name: Zyneak

Next

Return to General Discussions