LINUX SUPPORT IS HERE

Talk about general things concerning Forged Alliance Forever.

Moderators: FtXCommando, Ze Dogfather

Re: LINUX SUPPORT IS HERE

Postby ZeRen » 06 Jan 2020, 23:24

foodlfg wrote:no
no overcharge effect either
i mean watch my twich and see:
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/530761701

same, I see only UEF and Sera shell, pretty annoying
ZeRen
Evaluator

Has liked: 154 times
Been liked: 49 times
FAF User Name: ZeRen

Postby Cyborg16 » 11 Jan 2020, 13:45

Well, my install was working pretty-much perfectly (didn't check all effects).

I just updated to Fedora 31 (also the client from 59d68e92..e0927bc5 - nothing very interesting here), and tried playing two ladder matches, and in each case the game crashes after ~1 minutes. No error, no hang, no message in the client log since launch and nothing that looks like an error in the game log, just a straight crash. Any ideas?

Edit: it may be that the Proton run file was out-of-date. Strange to see it cause problems like this.

Edit 2: no, that didn't fix it. Just tested with a sandbox and it took a few more minutes, but still died; the client too and also the Steam process is acting up (not redrawing; tray menu takes ~30sec to open). Also, I get an error popup from "KIO Client": "Unknown host error: Host not found": apparently related to Steam. (I mis-reported the first instance: it also caused this error popup & Steam issue, though not the second instance.)
Cyborg16
Crusader

Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 3 times
FAF User Name: Cyborg16

Postby foodlfg » 11 Jan 2020, 15:13

what is the Proton version you are using?
vanila supcom does this too? launched from Steam?

maybe a new proton 4.11.xx came out which is causing this.
try to run the game with Proton 3.16-9 from steam and then change the run file

foodlfg

Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 69 times
FAF User Name: foodlfg

Postby foodlfg » 15 Jan 2020, 22:09

Linux's Gaming Future | DXVK Enters Maintenance mode
In this video, I go over recent news about DXVK entering maintenance mode and what their lead developer is doing and how this affects Linux's gaming future.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPuBLa0ayx8

foodlfg

Postby Cyborg16 » 21 Jan 2020, 23:10

No, I tried Proton 3.16, 4.2 and 4.11. All the same: Downlord's client gets killed, Steam goes weird (games library is black), and I get the "Host not found" error. The game survives when in singleplayer mode.

Ah, think I found the culprit: nohang (an out-of-memory handler that I set up recently). Java wins its "badness" score.
Cyborg16
Crusader

Postby DeathTBO » 25 Jan 2020, 01:57

Heyo, it's been a long time.

I wanted to boot the game back up recently, and ran into some issues. Of course I managed to sort some out. For starters, upgrading to the latest version of Downlords client produced an unusable UI. No real error messages in the terminal either. I was able to fix this by using Oracle JDK 11.0.2 specifically. JDK 13 and OpenJDK straight up were not working. Which is strange because previous versions seemed to handle JDK 13 just fine.

I also upgraded to Proton 4.11, which seems to work fine when launching Sup Comm directly from Steam.

The Downlords client causes massive system lag when doing any sort of downloads. It likes to fill up that swap memory though even if I have 10+ GB free of ram. Not sure why it's dumping memory into swap, but this is really bad because it's slow. As a temporary workaround I've disabled swap with: "sudo swapoff -a' and when done re-enable with: "sudo swapon -a"

This is however, the least of my concerns. The game crashes when attempting to launch. Uh oh! I regenerated a run file using Steam (because that works fine) and copied it over the old bash file. Only a few dll overrides were different, so nothing major. It kept crashing, this is when I noticed that the game execution directory was set to the bin directory. Unsetting that fixed the crash on launch.

Last problem was with the Downlords client once again. After playing the game for a minute or two it would freeze up my system (not just the game). My mind immediately jumped to the client. Switching terminal emulators I was able to get Htop up and kill it. Game runs just fine after this.

TL:DR
Upgraded for Fedora 31 and Proton 4.11. Copied new /tmp/proton/run, installed and set OracleJDK 11, turn off swap (temporary fix), and then lastly kill the Downlord client when in-game.

Not sure what's causing the client issues. Oh on a side note, I believe it's using D9VK (since that's Proton default now), which runs great and haven't run into any issues.

Edit: It seems like the issue might be related to Discord. I noticed Discord was not open after my little play test. Could the integration me causing issues for me? I do have the "show in-game" thing disabled.
DeathTBO
Crusader

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 5 times
FAF User Name: DeathTBO

Postby Wesmania » 25 Jan 2020, 13:10

Check https://github.com/FAForever/downlords- ... ssues/1353 for linux freezing issues.

tl;dr add -Dprism.order=sw or uninstall some fonts to make it work.
Wesmania
Contributor

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 79 times
FAF User Name: MazorNoob

Postby foodlfg » 25 Jan 2020, 16:46

i dont understand the swap problem. back then i was testing for memory leaks for the java guys and when the client exceeded the maximum memory limit (which was 500MB in that time) it crashed with an out of memory java exception. now the limit is ~800MB.
i don't think it uses the swap based on this.

the latest client works for me on PopOS 19.04.
no crashes.

i suggest buying a cheap second hand SSD for testing. I do this all the time when I migrate to a new linux distrib version. Remember, Valve only develops for SteamOS and Ubuntu, anything else with different kernels, drivers etc is not guaranteed to work. Especially distros with the latest developments like Arch or Fedora.

Anyways,
I wanted to boot the game back up recently, and ran into some issues. Of course I managed to sort some out. For starters, upgrading to the latest version of Downlords client produced an unusable UI. No real error messages in the terminal either. I was able to fix this by using Oracle JDK 11.0.2 specifically. JDK 13 and OpenJDK straight up were not working. Which is strange because previous versions seemed to handle JDK 13 just fine.

https://github.com/FAForever/downlords- ... ssues/1552

This is however, the least of my concerns. The game crashes when attempting to launch. Uh oh! I regenerated a run file using Steam (because that works fine) and copied it over the old bash file. Only a few dll overrides were different, so nothing major. It kept crashing, this is when I noticed that the game execution directory was set to the bin directory. Unsetting that fixed the crash on launch.

the game execution directory is set to nothing by default. I don’t understand how you ended up with that, I dont think the new clients have changed this. also in this category:
https://wiki.faforever.com/index.php?ti ... _Locations
https://wiki.faforever.com/index.php?ti ... h_the_game

Not sure what's causing the client issues. Oh on a side note, I believe it's using D9VK (since that's Proton default now), which runs great and haven't run into any issues.

It only uses D9VK if you enable it.
Do the DXVK_HUD work when you don’t enable D9VK?

Btw, after a new kernel/diver version on PopOS (kernel:5.3.0-7625-generic), the game began crashing with D9VK but Gallium Nine still works for me. So I’m using that now. Consider it if you have an AMD card.
https://wiki.faforever.com/index.php?ti ... _game_time

Also, stay tuned for changes (thanks icezero) and pls test the latest DXVK:
https://github.com/doitsujin/dxvk/releases
Version 1.5
D3D9 support
D9VK is now part of DXVK, which means that D3D9 games are now supported by default. Refer to the pull request for details and planned future work, and beware of frogs.

foodlfg

Postby DeathTBO » 25 Jan 2020, 22:41

Just thought I would share my experience, especially since there was another Fedora user. I also wasn't submitting bug reports yet, but it is good to know that the 12/13 JRE issue is already known. I too don't know how the directory got set. I had to unset it for the whole thing to work in the first place! I just thought I would mention it.

I was not getting any crashes or freezes related to the play tab. Adding the that argument to the vmoptions didn't change anything either (I guess I didn't have the offending font?).

When I said client I was referring to the Downlord client, not Steam. I don't have issues with Steam.

I just tested it again today. As soon as I start downloading something like a map my system begins to experience massive slow downs. Ram climbs briefly, and then swap jumped to almost 8 gb. After the downloading was done the swap does not decrease, I have to actually close the client before it returns. This jump also causes other programs to be moved to swap so I have to cycle swapoff/on. I have 2 SSDs and my system is set to 15% swappiness, and there was at least 10gb free when it began swapping. After closing the client memory usage also stays high. After bootup I'm at ~1.5gb. After some light usage it will climb and settle at ~2.4gb. After the Downlord client, it climbs to 6gb and stays there after closing, even if there is no active java process. I looked through my process list and it doesn't add up anywhere near that much. Where is the memory!?! I had also tried increasing the memory limit for the client to 4gb, but it was still swapping hard.

Feels like some hard memory leakage when it's allocating for downloads.

My mistake, D9VK is not enabled by default (tested using the HUD). When I did turn it on I got 90fps average, it would sometimes slow down to 60. I had one slowdown to 24fps with lots of units and shields. WineD3D wasn't nearly as fast as D9VK. Still have not tested Gallium 9.

My testing was all done on:
Fedora 31 - Kernel 5.4.12
Ryzen 2700 @ 4ghz
AMD 580 + Mesa 19.2
Proton 4.11-12
DeathTBO
Crusader

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 5 times
FAF User Name: DeathTBO

Postby Cyborg16 » 26 Jan 2020, 00:21

It seems like someone found the culprit for the memory leak (which is why nohang was killing stuff for me — I measured approx 20GB memory usage by the client after 7 minutes of gameplay). See this post on GitHub.

Short version is to add this to your launch options:
Code: Select all
-Dprism.order=sw
Cyborg16
Crusader

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions