LINUX SUPPORT IS HERE

Talk about general things concerning Forged Alliance Forever.

Moderators: FtXCommando, Ze Dogfather

Re: LINUX SUPPORT IS HERE

Postby Little Miss Murder » 18 Sep 2019, 14:53

I have a GTX970 and use the nouveau driver, it's always just worked. And to my eyes it looks better than on Direct3D.
Little Miss Murder

Has liked: 132 times
Been liked: 29 times
FAF User Name: Little Miss Murder

Postby ZeRen » 18 Sep 2019, 20:22

tatsu wrote:
ZeRen wrote:X-server

you're on x-server ? how??? what version and flavor of linux?

wayland would be much better here.

almost every linux FAFer has no issues with FAF so I don't see it as an insurmountable task for you to get it running.

de what :?: :shock:
Linux Mint 19.2
Attachments
Snímek obrazovky pořízený 2019-09-18 20-19-05.png
Snímek obrazovky pořízený 2019-09-18 20-19-05.png (671.3 KiB) Viewed 1806 times
ZeRen
Evaluator

Has liked: 154 times
Been liked: 49 times
FAF User Name: ZeRen

Postby tatsu » 20 Sep 2019, 07:41

mint is deprecated. use ubuntu with mate desktop or Budgie or Pop OS.
tatsu
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 1952 times
Been liked: 171 times
FAF User Name: tatsu

Postby ZeRen » 20 Sep 2019, 07:57

tatsu wrote:mint is deprecated. use ubuntu with mate desktop or Budgie or Pop OS.

hm :|

what is wayland? and how can I check if I have it?
ZeRen
Evaluator

Has liked: 154 times
Been liked: 49 times
FAF User Name: ZeRen

Postby tatsu » 20 Sep 2019, 19:52

Code: Select all
echo $XDG_SESSION_TYPE

will give you X11 if on X, wayland if on wayland.

X, specifically version 11 was a display "windower"/"manager"/"server" since 1987 for all OS's of the unix family.

why? well because there has to be one, without one nothing shows up on the screen and the server-client design pattern is great for tackling almost any problem even and especially draw calls.

but it's 32 years old now.

did this code's old age come with any caveats? well yes it was ill adapted to multi screen as it was conceived in a day where multi-screen wasn't a thing and it also had poor performance on remote desktop and redraws.

most importantly it took on a gargantuan Swiss knife aspect over the years with it's code becoming more and more of a nightmare to contribute to.
the main devs were perfectly willing to see it phagocyte the entire system.

X could handle boot, loading for you, it could boot, it could be a lightweight DE. basically, taken to the extreme you could have "X as an OS".

more pertinently to modern-day issues X was wholly incompatible with "modern" graphical 3D libraries the likes of directX version 10 and above. only OpenGL has a working X implementation.

evidently there were regular cries over the years of "replace!" going as far back as 1990 (Why X Is Not Our Ideal Window System by Gajewska, Manasse and McCormack)

the reason they never really came to a head is the spread out and small nature of the linux community. it was hard to pull through or at least justify a team effort in that respect. And keeping a team together until the end for this huge task was hard in the context of open source.

2008 was the year of "Enough is enough!". I like to imagine it was spurred on by Bryan Lunduke and his controversially popular "Linux Sucks" conferences.

Kristian Høgsberg initiated and led the effort with a project called "Wayland".

in 2013 Canonical who had been pressured to jump on board disappointed everyone by stating they didn't like wayland's direction and forked parts of Wayland to start their own project, "Mir", when they had previously stated that they would use Wayland in 2010.

And the race was off Mir vs Wayland. Big bucks vs open source and free dev.

in the end Canonical dropped mir and the desktop interface named "Unity" simultaneously, they admitted they were wrong by adopting Gnome (and therefore wayland because they had not started porting Unity to wayland in the meantime) and everyone loved canonical/ubuntu again (for a while).

The Fedora devs had pulled through and managed a full Desktop Environement implementation of Wayland in version 24 with their first partial Wayland release being Fedora version 20 in 2013.

Ubuntu never had a feature-complete Mir Unity8 setup for the desktop. In the 19th of October 2017, canonical released ubuntu 17.10 with opt-in wayland support. same for 18.04 in 2018 and now in 2019 wayland is installed on ubuntu 19.04 although, you have to switch to a wayland login session first (the default one is still X). Wayland has been on many other distributions for awhile. (red hat 8, fedora 24, manjaro)

the only desktop environments that support wayland are KDE, gnome, and Enlightenment (that I know of, googling this was a bit hard) (Enlightenment is not noteworthy IMO).

so if you use another you won't have wayland on.

Wayland came with many performance improvements, overall better feel and support for the Vulkan 3D graphics library which has perfect feature-parity / theoretically surpasses direct X 12.

you can test Vulkan out with Dota 2 :

it's implementation will be truely put to the test with the Linux release of Ashes of the Singularity and Star Citizen

I'd say knowing the version number of your OS, the Desktop Environment (if it's gnome/KDE/Enlightenment or not) and the Distribution you are using are the only three factors you need, if you wish to know if you have wayland or not.

mint 19 being based on ubuntu 18 it's default session is not wayland, it's X, but you can create and log into a wayland session from the login screen (normally, .....if you migrated versions it may not be an option)

I would recommend switching to any other OS as mint will receive less and less support going forward. if you're used to the desktop layout of mint I recommend you go with pop OS (it uses a gnome modified in a way that IMO makes it look like mint).
tatsu
Supreme Commander

Postby tatsu » 22 Sep 2019, 01:26

my bad I actually do have the 47 min crash :(
tatsu
Supreme Commander

Postby foodlfg » 22 Sep 2019, 10:39

The worst kind of crash is a game crash! XD
Welcome in the party of "how to win Setons under 40 mins"! o/

Tho I'm quite confident that We don't need that much time in most cases. We either die at min 15 or crush at min 47 and you can crash at that point with ease because of the wonders of FULL SHARE! (given you still have teammates left xD)

(last time i managed to play a 57 min long setons game with D9VK enabled Proton btw and i had no problems with Gallium Nine either)

foodlfg

Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 69 times
FAF User Name: foodlfg

Postby tatsu » 22 Sep 2019, 14:07

ok i'll try D9vk out, are you on amd?
tatsu
Supreme Commander

Postby foodlfg » 22 Sep 2019, 15:55

sure! RX560 :D

foodlfg

Postby foodlfg » 22 Sep 2019, 20:55

Why does Microsoft Windows 10 have so many bugs? Ex-Employee tells you why!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9kn8_oztsA
Let me tell you why Microsoft Windows 10 has so many bugs with every new Windows Update from my perspective as a former Senior Software Developer (SDET)

:'D

foodlfg

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions