LINUX SUPPORT IS HERE

Talk about general things concerning Forged Alliance Forever.

Moderators: FtXCommando, Ze Dogfather

Re: LINUX SUPPORT IS HERE

Postby morgoth_bauglir » 11 Sep 2019, 17:32

Current status of python?
morgoth_bauglir
Crusader

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 3 times
FAF User Name: kirovreporting

Postby callcifer » 11 Sep 2019, 17:37

The python client is dead and has been for a long time. Just use the Java client like everyone else.
callcifer
Crusader

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 13 times
FAF User Name: callcifer

Postby foodlfg » 15 Sep 2019, 17:50

so i was not able to make the game run on Gallium Nine, not even starting from Steam (PopOS 19.04). other games like Mirrors Edge work with the Gallium Nine parameters. FA just doesn't start.

as for D9KV enabled proton, i was able to play a 57 min long (game time) Seton's Game without any crash. Before i was testing it with replays and it crashed before this time. i need more testing.

watch me how i die at min 57:
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/481374361
lol

foodlfg

Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 69 times
FAF User Name: foodlfg

Postby tatsu » 16 Sep 2019, 00:11

on gallium nine : just testing this with latest Proton version (4.11-3) ? when I was using Proton 3.16-9, gallum 9 (installed manually) worked for me. that being said. being on Nvidia. I had to first switch to the nouveau driver because there is no gallium nine support for proprietary nvidia driver yet.
tatsu
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 1952 times
Been liked: 171 times
FAF User Name: tatsu

Postby ZeRen » 16 Sep 2019, 07:04

tatsu wrote:on gallium nine : just testing this with latest Proton version (4.11-3) ? when I was using Proton 3.16-9, gallum 9 (installed manually) worked for me. that being said. being on Nvidia. I had to first switch to the nouveau driver because there is no gallium nine support for proprietary nvidia driver yet.

could you pls tell exactly what you did with your driver? how did you switched it? did you installed something else for driver?
ZeRen
Evaluator

Has liked: 154 times
Been liked: 49 times
FAF User Name: ZeRen

Postby foodlfg » 16 Sep 2019, 18:37

I installed
https://github.com/popsUlfr/Proton/releases
https://ubuntu.pkgs.org/19.04/ubuntu-ma ... 6.deb.html

Pop!_OS 19.04 installed the amd64 version of the libd3dadapter9 lib with apt install so i had to use the previous i386 one.
I have an AMD RX560 GPU btw.

my launch options are:
PROTON_USE_GALLIUM_NINE=1 PROTON_GALLIUM_NINE_MODULEPATH="/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/d3d/d3dadapter9.so.1" PROTON_NO_ESYNC=1 PROTON_DUMP_DEBUG_COMMANDS=1 PROTON_LOG=1 %command%

Again, it works with Mirrors Edge, another directx9 game. But not with FA, FA crashes at launch immediately. MEH!

foodlfg

Postby tatsu » 17 Sep 2019, 00:03

ZeRen wrote:could you pls tell exactly what you did with your driver? how did you switched it? did you installed something else for driver?

this old version of my script allowed you to do it : https://github.com/tatsujb/installFAFsc ... ed9a1bd3d0

in steam launch options for FA :
Code: Select all
PROTON_NO_ESYNC=1, PROTON_DUMP_DEBUG_COMMANDS=1, PROTON_USE_GALLIUM_NINE=1, PROTON_GALLIUM_NINE_MODULEPATH="/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/d3d/d3dadapter9.so.1:/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/d3d/d3dadapter9.so.1" %command%

Screenshot from 2019-09-16 23-52-05.jpg
Screenshot from 2019-09-16 23-52-05.jpg (401.01 KiB) Viewed 1690 times

that's how you switch to nouveau when on nvidia. it's the default drver to start with on 18< versions of ubuntu, on ubuntu 19> nvidia community driver is default, though I generally switch that to the modified proprietary nvidia one for best native performance. but for gallium nine only nouveau will work.

then after switching to nouveau run :

sudo apt update && sudo apt autoremove -y && sudo apt autoclean && sudo reboot

after reboot (line by line otherwise it doesn't work) :

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/updates -y && sudo apt update && sudo apt full-upgrade -y
python3 -m pip install --user pipx
~/.local/bin/pipx ensurepath
eval "$(cat .bashrc | tail -n +10)"
pipx install protontricks
pipx upgrade protontricks
protontricks 9420 galliumnine

from my script, I dug out installing protontricks and winetricks (latest), if you prefer to do that manually :

sudo apt install -y python3-pip python3-setuptools python3-venv libnss3-tools libd3dadapter9-mesa:i386 libd3dadapter9-mesa
sudo purge winetricks -y
wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Winetricks/winetricks/master/src/winetricks
chmod +x winetricks
wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Winetricks/winetricks/master/src/winetricks.bash-completion
sudo mv winetricks /usr/bin
sudo mv winetricks.bash-completion /usr/share/bash-completion/completions/winetricks
python3 -m pip install --user pipx
~/.local/bin/pipx ensurepath
eval "$(cat .bashrc | tail -n +10)"
pipx install protontricks
pipx upgrade protontricks
protontricks 9420 galliumnine
tatsu
Supreme Commander

Postby ZeRen » 17 Sep 2019, 18:52

tatsu wrote:

thx, when I was doing those command my PC freeze several times few minutes after reboot, look like my graphic card hate noveau driver :lol: :lol:

so even if I would switch to NVIDIA do the stuff and switch back to noveau, my PC would freeze during game, so no point :cry:

hope this help anyone else, thx again

btw. do you know how to kill X-server and then turn it back on with terminal?
ZeRen
Evaluator

Has liked: 154 times
Been liked: 49 times
FAF User Name: ZeRen

Postby foodlfg » 17 Sep 2019, 20:29

sell the nvidia card and buy and AMD one instead. really.
i wouldn't buy the newest RX5700 series just yet because you will need the newest kernels for that. by next year it will have more mainstream support.

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page= ... july&num=1
This round of testing features the Navi Radeon RX 5700 series tested with the very latest Linux 5.3 development kernel as of this past weekend, which is the first kernel featuring this Navi support.

The next Ubuntu release 19.10 (soon) will have the kernel version 5.3 btw. it looks like.

foodlfg

Postby tatsu » 17 Sep 2019, 23:27

ZeRen wrote:X-server

you're on x-server ? how??? what version and flavor of linux?

wayland would be much better here.

almost every linux FAFer has no issues with FAF so I don't see it as an insurmountable task for you to get it running.
tatsu
Supreme Commander

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions