LINUX SUPPORT IS HERE

Talk about general things concerning Forged Alliance Forever.

Moderators: FtXCommando, Ze Dogfather

Re: LINUX SUPPORT IS HERE

Postby morgoth_bauglir » 28 Aug 2018, 13:21

foodlfg wrote:Something is happening at Valve / Steam regarding running Windows games on Linux.

someone should test scfa and scfa+faf client
morgoth_bauglir
Crusader

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 3 times
FAF User Name: kirovreporting

Postby kozy » 28 Aug 2018, 15:02

morgoth_bauglir wrote:
foodlfg wrote:Something is happening at Valve / Steam regarding running Windows games on Linux.

someone should test scfa and scfa+faf client

done here : https://spcr.netlify.com/
but I can't get SupCom to run from the command line, so no idea how to use steam natively ..
The only thing i find is through
Code: Select all
steam steam://rungameid/9420
but that's not going to be very helpful :(
Also, please note that you should set "PROTON_NO_ESYNC=1 %command%" to the launch in steam to have SupCom run smoothly.
kozy
Crusader

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 11 times
FAF User Name: kozy

Postby foodlfg » 28 Aug 2018, 21:03

we should make a distinction between
- running the base games (supcom, supcom faf) from Linux Steam with this new compatibility feature (Proton)
and between
- running the modded faf (that we use today) or anything else from the "command line" using Proton only. our faf client on linux does something like this btw.

- the first one is doable already using the Steam linux beta client. i don't know if it really can run the base games but you can launch "unsupported" Steam games with it already. i think kozy's prev post is about this.
- as for the second one, some people are experimenting with it already (see my prev post) but Proton is too coupled with Steam for now, so you need workarounds to launch something without Steam but still using Proton... x.x kinda problematic. but Proton is open source, so we might see some standalone Proton releases in the future...

this is how the client launches the game using Wine (just an example, it does other things too):
Code: Select all
/usr/bin/wine "/home/test1/FAForever/bin/ForgedAlliance.exe" /mean 1050.89 /deviation 102.554 /init init_faf.lua /numgames 179 /log "/home/test1/FAForever/logs/game.log" /nobugreport /savereplay "gpgnet://localhost/8420570/foodlfg.SCFAreplay" /gpgnet 127.0.0.1:46669

theoretically you could change calling Wine to calling Proton instead.

foodlfg

Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 69 times
FAF User Name: foodlfg

Postby morgoth_bauglir » 28 Aug 2018, 22:32

foodlfg wrote:so you need workarounds to launch something without Steam but still using Proton

it impossible now
maybe in future they add custom programs/api not only games
morgoth_bauglir
Crusader

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 3 times
FAF User Name: kirovreporting

Postby kozy » 29 Aug 2018, 03:40

morgoth_bauglir wrote:
foodlfg wrote:so you need workarounds to launch something without Steam but still using Proton

it impossible now
maybe in future they add custom programs/api not only games

This is what i was trying to achieve (foodlgf point 2.), but only could achieve (1).

On the plus side, whatever happens with proton, we don't need the wine steam anymore \o/
kozy
Crusader

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 11 times
FAF User Name: kozy

Postby Geosearchef » 05 Sep 2018, 18:30

You never needed the wine steam anyways. You could just trick your native steam into downloading a windows game by creating a special file.
Developer, Server Admin, ICE, currently working on Team Matchmaking, FAF Client
Geosearchef
Contributor

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 127 times
FAF User Name: Geosearchef

Postby foodlfg » 05 Sep 2018, 20:58

Geosearchef wrote:You never needed the wine steam anyways. You could just trick your native steam into downloading a windows game by creating a special file.

really? : D
but how it is done exactly? (i guess i can google it too.. at some point X) )

i had problems using Windows Steam through wine 3.10. it couldn't download the game... it can be fixed but still. D:
but thinking of it, Windows Steam installs dlls too which i don't think the Linux Steam does. i'm not sure which the best way is to download/install the game. :/

edit: Windows wine -> Windows Steam lol

foodlfg

Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 69 times
FAF User Name: foodlfg

Postby tatsu » 09 Sep 2018, 16:23

They try to use a modified version of Wine and pair this up with other things to make Linux gaming less tedious.
Currently it's in beta status.

Valve’s “Steam Play” uses Vulkan to bring more Windows games to Linux
https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018/08/ ... -to-linux/

Valve Launches Wine-based “Proton” To Let You Play Windows Games On Linux
https://fossbytes.com/wine-based-proton ... -on-linux/

Introducing a new version of Steam Play
https://steamcommunity.com/games/221410 ... 5739350561

FYI: Steam Proton for non Steam applications (like faf)
https://www.reddit.com/r/Steam/comments ... lications/

I say, YES!

OK so I had this shown to me durring a LAN for age of empires HD because was complaining that I wanted to stay on my linux boot.

and this weekend I thought : hey maybe it works with FA! so I just tried it and it works brilliant (minoring that I kinda had to hit alt-F4 a couple times to refresh blackscreens and then close the "do you really want to quit?" menu and proceed while I was in profile creation screen and very first load of the main menu but not it works fine)

and I was like "I gotta let people in this thread know" and lo and behold your already at it!

not only that but :

Geosearchef wrote:I've now compiled a version of the java (downlord's) client without ICE that should run on linux natively. It requires you to install openjdk and openjfk version 1.8.0 (162+) or oracle java.

https://geosearchef.de/dfc_linux_0_9_0-beta-rc_3.deb

After installing, you need to set the java location, head into /opt/downlor..../ and execute 'downlords-faf-client' there. You also need to set the faf-uid file in the lib folder as executable.

Keep in mind this is a release candidate.

If there error persists, please send the log file of the client.

FINALLY a packaged Linux version of the JAVA client off to try it out!

EDIT : ....oh : link is broken :( @Geosearchef
tatsu
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 1952 times
Been liked: 171 times
FAF User Name: tatsu

Postby Geosearchef » 09 Sep 2018, 16:28

ooops, http://geosearchef.de/downlords-faf-cli ... a-rc_3.deb, keep in mind this is a release candidate and the deb package doesn't auto configure everything. You will to chmod +x the faf-uid, execute it in install dir and set the java home environment variable (it will tell you). This will probably be included in the next release. There will also be a .tar.gz and an .rpm, muellni also wants to build a pacman package.
Developer, Server Admin, ICE, currently working on Team Matchmaking, FAF Client
Geosearchef
Contributor

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 127 times
FAF User Name: Geosearchef

Postby tatsu » 09 Sep 2018, 16:33

Geosearchef wrote:set the java home environment variable (it will tell you).

hey thanks a lot for the quick response!

what do you mean by that?

once I run it it will prompt me and I'll be able to fill it out? or I first have to type something in term before running the .deb?

also are like JRE 10/11 accepted or is it better to stick with 8u181?
tatsu
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 1952 times
Been liked: 171 times
FAF User Name: tatsu

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions