LINUX SUPPORT IS HERE

Talk about general things concerning Forged Alliance Forever.

Moderators: FtXCommando, Ze Dogfather

Re: LINUX SUPPORT IS HERE

Postby Herby » 27 Aug 2017, 08:21

sandwormsurfer wrote:Good to hear you made the native client run. To use your POL-wineprefix use the client settings I documented here.
I tried this but didn't manage to get it work. Anyway, a quick reinstall of FA with wine saved the day and I've just deleted the previous install made through POL.
Herby
Crusader

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 5 times
FAF User Name: Herby

Postby kozy » 27 Aug 2017, 08:42

I'm a bit worried as I am unable to run the client in native python yet the 0.16 release doesn't work anymore with wine :(
Is there a guide for ubuntu 16.04 LTS ? Currently i'm stuck with some GL issues (shaders cannot compile - might be an nvidia issue, anybody is playing with a GeForce ?).
kozy
Crusader

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 11 times
FAF User Name: kozy

Postby Herby » 27 Aug 2017, 08:59

I have a nvidia GeForce card and don't have any problem with it. Indeed, I had a small issue that I quickly fixed. See this post.
Yesterday, I helped a friend to install the client on a kubuntu 16.04. We just followed the install guide from the wiki and everything worked.
Another option is to download the latest .msi and reinstall the client in wine but do not upgrade it. It worked on my computer.
Herby
Crusader

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 5 times
FAF User Name: Herby

Postby Wesmania » 05 Sep 2017, 08:20

I was checking ubuntu packages out of curiosity, and I think ubuntu zesty (17.04) or later has all the dependencies the client needs. I think packages: python3-semantic-version, python3-pyqt5 and python3-pyqt5.qtwebengine should be enough for the client to work.
Wesmania
Contributor

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 79 times
FAF User Name: MazorNoob

Postby tatsu » 05 Sep 2017, 15:01

Wesmania wrote:I was checking ubuntu packages out of curiosity, and I think ubuntu zesty (17.04) or later has all the dependencies the client needs. I think packages: python3-semantic-version, python3-pyqt5 and python3-pyqt5.qtwebengine should be enough for the client to work.

nope. zesty (17.04) is what I've been using for the last 20 pages. you still have to virtualenv. unless there's something I'm missing but Pyqt5 (or 4) IS NOT something you can get faf to find under 17.04

so i have native faf working. but still have to virtualenv it.
tatsu
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 1952 times
Been liked: 171 times
FAF User Name: tatsu

Postby Wesmania » 06 Sep 2017, 16:55

From what I can see in the thread, the most successful attempt had issues with the 'trueskill' package. I've just removed it from deps, as we actually don't use it right now. You can try checking out the develop or staging/0.16 branch to see if it works now, or wait for the next 0.16.0 release. You might also need to install the python3-idna package.
Wesmania
Contributor

Postby tatsu » 06 Sep 2017, 20:07

Wesmania wrote:From what I can see in the thread, the most successful attempt had issues with the 'trueskill' package. I've just removed it from deps, as we actually don't use it right now. You can try checking out the develop or staging/0.16 branch to see if it works now, or wait for the next 0.16.0 release. You might also need to install the python3-idna package.

woops

Code: Select all
t@tsu:~/fafclient$ /usr/bin/python3 ./client/src
fatal: Not a git repository (or any of the parent directories): .git
Error grabbing git version: Command '['git', '-C', '/home/t/fafclient/client', 'describe', '--tags', '--always', '--abbrev=0']' returned non-zero exit status 128Could not get git version
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python3.5/runpy.py", line 193, in _run_module_as_main
    "__main__", mod_spec)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.5/runpy.py", line 85, in _run_code
    exec(code, run_globals)
  File "./client/src/__main__.py", line 42, in <module>
    import util
  File "./client/src/util/__init__.py", line 15, in <module>
    from config import Settings
  File "./client/src/config/__init__.py", line 139, in <module>
    VERSION = version.get_release_version(dir=fafpath.get_resdir(), git_dir=fafpath.get_srcdir())
  File "./client/src/config/version.py", line 129, in get_release_version
    raise ValueError("Cannot find the version number! Please provide RELEASE-VERSION file or run from git.")
ValueError: Cannot find the version number! Please provide RELEASE-VERSION file or run from

I'm doing this wrong aren't I?

I installed python3-idna. and i used this : https://github.com/FAForever/client/tree/staging/0.16
tatsu
Supreme Commander

Postby Wesmania » 06 Sep 2017, 21:03

Hmm, we really need to finally document this. If you used the repo it'd work out of the box, but it's not a problem - just do
cat "0.16.0" > ./res/RELEASE-VERSION
in client root directory and you should be fine.

BTW, is it a cloned repo, or is it just a downloaded source package? If it's the earlier, then we've got ourselves a bug.
Wesmania
Contributor

Postby tatsu » 06 Sep 2017, 21:59

Wesmania wrote:Hmm, we really need to finally document this. If you used the repo it'd work out of the box, but it's not a problem - just do
cat "0.16.0" > ./res/RELEASE-VERSION
in client root directory and you should be fine.

oh yeah :P

well done that worked!

Wesmania wrote:BTW, is it a cloned repo, or is it just a downloaded source package? If it's the earlier, then we've got ourselves a bug.

I'm not sure which i just switched to this branch on github and downloaded the zip from there.

FAF can know what system it's running on right? can the auto updater just re-git-clone instead of downloading a windows installer when it detects it's on linux? that would be great.
Herby wrote:I have computer.

you might wanna get in on this.

script file to link to in the desktop file :
#!/bin/sh
cd /faf-client
/usr/bin/python3 ./client/src

and instalation :
sudo apt-get install python3-pycparser python3-dateutil python3-requests python3-cffi python3-semantic-version python3-virtualenv python3-dev liblua5.1-0-dev xdelta3 git python3-idna
mkdir fafclient && cd fafclient
sudo wget https://github.com/FAForever/uid/releases/download/v4.0.5/faf-uid -O /usr/bin/faf-uid
sudo chmod +x /usr/bin/faf-uid
git clone https://github.com/FAForever/client/tree/staging/0.16.git
touch client/res/RELEASE-VERSION
echo "0.16.0" >> client/res/RELEASE-VERSION
tatsu
Supreme Commander

Postby Cyrax » 24 Sep 2017, 14:32

Hello linux dudes. Have a problem running faf after updating Mint to 18.2. Sometimes (every 1-2 games) during the game my screen can suddenly freeze, but the game client is continuing to run (I hear in-game sounds, interface reactions and I even can type to chat). I'm running on 0.16.2 faf client. Tried to checkout to 0.13.2 version, but getting segfault when I try to launch it. Any ideas how to fix 0.16.2 or at least to launch 0.13.2?
Cyrax

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time
FAF User Name: Cyrax

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions