FAF as a noob.

Talk about general things concerning Forged Alliance Forever.

Moderators: FtXCommando, Ze Dogfather

FAF as a noob.

Postby Cuddles » 15 Apr 2013, 20:27

First up: awesome community you guys have here! :mrgreen: and I'm Afrikaans not English for the grammar guys.

As a new guy the experienced players has all been friendly and helpful, none of the normal bs noobs go through. It's kind of odd, because it seems like a very competitive game.

I'm trying to miss as much if the faq's and tutorials as I can, for the simple reason that I want to develop my own strategy. Kinda of a catch 22 though. How do you beat the other guy if you don't know what his strat is? The only problem is I can't stop watching the casts! Never thought I would subscribe to replay channels, but Felixlighta and ZaphodX got me hooked.

As far as the matches itself went - I got owned :mrgreen: I thought I was doing okay in early raiding and then I saw I sent flak instead of the tanks I planned too. It was not very effective :oops:
Turinturambar defended very valiantly
Cuddles
Contributor

Has liked: 132 times
Been liked: 118 times
FAF User Name: Scoot

Re: FAF as a noob.

Postby Flynn » 15 Apr 2013, 21:49

You're enthusiasm is good, but you need to read the FAQs, as they cover the basics. Think of the basic things you need to know (building a basic economy, basic tactics eg raiding) as a foundation to execute you're strategies from. Before strategy begins in this game, you need to rival you're opponent in economy. From then, it comes to strategies and decision making as to what the best way is to defeat them.
Flynn
Evaluator

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 8 times
FAF User Name: Flynn

Postby Pathogenic » 15 Apr 2013, 22:21

There is a subsection of the forum called "Help me I'm a newbie" where discussions of this sort usually take place. Not that I personally mind seeing posts in the wrong forum subsection, it's just that some folks get all uptight and anal about that sort of thing.
Pathogenic

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby Cuddles » 15 Apr 2013, 22:55

Wasn't really looking for help, just wanted to say cool game and wassup. But the mods can move it. Unless that is the Introduction forum, then by all means move it.
Cuddles
Contributor

Postby ColonelSheppard » 15 Apr 2013, 23:10

it's nice to hear this, i'd like to ask you, if you maybe can tell me, whats the most difficult thing for you on FA/FAF or what you think is for other newbies
(i'm the guy with the video tutorials)
ColonelSheppard
Contributor

Has liked: 154 times
Been liked: 165 times
FAF User Name: Sheppy

Postby ZaphodX » 16 Apr 2013, 03:22

Welcome to FAF :)
ZaphodX
Contributor

FAF User Name: TAG_ZaphodX

Postby Swkoll » 16 Apr 2013, 04:39

Welcome :D
"Only the fear of the hypnotoad is preventing me from raging right now." - ColonelSheppard
"Swkoll is a genius, let's accept this and move on" - VoR_Gorton
Swkoll
Contributor

Has liked: 114 times
Been liked: 41 times
FAF User Name: Swkoll

Postby Cuddles » 16 Apr 2013, 10:17

Most difficult thing? hmmmmm, the early game rush. I suspect the only way to defend it is with a good offence. I just need to lose another couple of games until I find out what the common tactics are and how to counter them.

I look at it this way - I can watch all the tutorials and learn what to do or not to do, but I will never really appreciate it or know the true worth of doing things a certain way. Failure brings a deeper understanding to a subject, experience counts for allot more than theory IMO. Sure that means I'm going to lose allot and have a hard time, but at some point I will turn it around.

How long did it take you all to figure things out?
Cuddles
Contributor

Postby ZaphodX » 16 Apr 2013, 10:54

You have a really good attitude and understanding of how to get better.

For me it took years before I began to reach a Zen level of understanding of eco management. After a hiatus of several years I came back and decided to play aggressive not defensive eco noob and that's when I reached a level of understanding of competitive gameplay.
ZaphodX
Contributor

FAF User Name: TAG_ZaphodX

Postby Cuddles » 16 Apr 2013, 11:32

Thanks.

What's the deal with UI mods? Is it a must have? At first watching the replays I thought every one knows the keyboard shortcuts off by heart and that is why I started playing the single player campaign before just jumping in multiplayer. But now I'm not so sure - some things happens too fast watching other guys and with way more control than what I can get out of the default UI. Unless I'm just really slow still.

I'm totally against it at this stage - if it is a must have then it must be part of the package form the start or clearly explained. At this stage it looks like it is more part of the culture/community - not the game. Someone who just comes in for the game and does not join the forum will always be at a disadvantage if that is the case.

To me it's the same is giving one guy a pistol and the other a chain gun and saying it's a fair fight because both guys has guns.
Cuddles
Contributor

Next

Return to General Discussions