Two questions about FAF things: OC and clump order

Talk about general things concerning Forged Alliance Forever.

Moderators: FtXCommando, Ze Dogfather

Two questions about FAF things: OC and clump order

Postby FunkOff » 06 Aug 2020, 20:31

How does OC work now, exactly? I tried it in a game against SCUs and it took some 5 or 10 shots to kill a single enemy SCU despite my having multiple storage. How EXACTLY does it work?

And how does clump move work? The manual move order to make units clump together not in formation? I've seen it used against me but havent seen how to use it.
FunkOff
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 43 times
FAF User Name: FakeOff

Re: Two questions about FAF things: OC and clump order

Postby Captcha-Lover » 07 Aug 2020, 06:45

OC deals only 500 damage against acus and buildings. Not sure how much it deals against support commanders, I think full damage. Don't underestimate Rambo come shield and nano hp. They can take a few max damage ocs.

Clump move order is commonly referred to as shift g.
You issue a move order and then press shift+g. Every unit will search for the shortest path to the target itself and units will not be in a formation. This makes units nicely bunched up to all be overcharged at once or to die to single bomber passes or frigate aoe. However, it also makes the dps very focussed with less surface so the clumps trade better against non aoe like for example T1 tanks Vs T1 tanks. Add one arty to the equation and shift g is hardcountered jebaited and balanced well.
Captcha-Lover
Crusader

Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 7 times
FAF User Name: Captchagachi

Postby RedX » 07 Aug 2020, 07:08

Wasn't it changed to be a % damage reduction against SCUs and buildings, rather than just a straight 500 damage cap?

Also you don't need shift+g, that's only for queuing. You can just hit g to do the first order. I think the most common use for this I've seen is to cut off ACUs. If you just issue a move order behind the ACU it will often be able to squeeze through, but if you hit g they will clump very tightly and make movement almost impossible. It's a great finishing move to end a game if you're sure your opponent A) doesn't have OC, B) can't OC enough units to turn the tide.
RedX

Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 14 times
FAF User Name: D3matt

Postby keyser » 07 Aug 2020, 12:19

it's something along those line : Image
easy way to remember for OCing unit :
you need 1 energy storage to kill T1 and most T2 units
2 energy storages for ilshy / obsidian and T3 siege bots
3 energy storages for ohtuum/harbi
4 energy storages for T3 assault bots

for SACU it depends of their HP.

Also OC deals 400 damage to ACUs and 800 damage to buildings
Zockyzock:
VoR is the clan of upcoming top players now
keyser
Councillor - Game

Has liked: 424 times
Been liked: 540 times
FAF User Name: keyser

Postby FunkOff » 07 Aug 2020, 17:46

Why is energy on the Y axis? Energy is dependent variable.

What I see is that 10,000 energy (2 storages, mostly full) does only 4,000 damage, and doubling that to 20,000 energy doubles the damage to 8,000, and max damage is 15,000 using 50,000 energy.

That would certainly explain why killing an SCU seemed to take forever on 3 storages. SCU had shield, so that's probably a total of like a dozen shots to burn through it and his HP.
FunkOff
Supreme Commander

Postby keyser » 07 Aug 2020, 19:49

i don't get the question. X is the damage and Y is the energy. You deal damage depending of the energy you use.
And yes 3 e storage is way too low at this stage of the game to fight high hp unit. It's not enough to 1 shot percy/brick.
if you want to do full damage you need to get ~10 e storage
Zockyzock:
keyser
Councillor - Game

Postby FunkOff » 07 Aug 2020, 20:17

keyser wrote:

i don't get the question. X is the damage and Y is the energy. You deal damage depending of the energy you use.
And yes 3 e storage is way too low at this stage of the game to fight high hp unit. It's not enough to 1 shot percy/brick.
if you want to do full damage you need to get ~10 e storage

In Math and Science in the United States, it is taught that the dependent variable is always charted on the Y axis, and the independent variable is always on the X axis. When you say "you deal damage depending on the energy" this describes that the damage is the dependent variable (Y axis) and energy is the independent variable (X axis).

But yes, this is a huge nerf to OC generally, and this requirement for ~2,500 mass in storage + ~9,000 mass in E production (three T3 pgens) is obsurd to consider this a natural ACU enhancement
FunkOff
Supreme Commander

Postby ThomasHiatt » 08 Aug 2020, 00:04

Energy and Damage are both dependent on one another. OC only tries to do enough damage to kill the highest health unit in its AOE radius, so in that case, the energy consumption depends on the damage. In the case where you don't have that much energy then it does as much damage as it can, so damage depends on energy. It is not really a nerf or a buff to OC. You can do more max damage then before if you have enough power. You also get full reclaim from all the stuff you overcharge due to no overkill damage. You can easily fund your pgens and energy storage by making thousands of mass in reclaim from overcharging stuff.

This OC system is terrible though since you have to time your OC just right that you have enough energy to kill the high tech units you are shooting, but not waiting too long and wasting time. If you do it too soon then it is super bad since you left some unit alive and have to wait to OC it again.
ThomasHiatt

Has liked: 116 times
Been liked: 110 times
FAF User Name: ThomasHiatt

Postby keyser » 08 Aug 2020, 00:45

you do have a visual indicator of when the OC will kill or not the unit. Use auto OC at your own risks.
Zockyzock:
keyser
Councillor - Game

Return to General Discussions