Transport vulnerable to ground units sometimes, is it a bug?

Talk about general things concerning Forged Alliance Forever.

Moderators: FtXCommando, Ze Dogfather

Transport vulnerable to ground units sometimes, is it a bug?

Postby armacham01 » 04 Aug 2020, 08:55

T2 transport sort of landed when it came to rescue an ACU

I expected it to be vulnerable to my ACU. I turned off auto-overcharge, waited for the transport to stop, and then I manually overcharged the transport to death

Is that a bug? An exploit? Or is it supposed to be that way? When are transports supposed to be vulnerable to anti-ground weapons?

Replay is #12325126
armacham01

Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 109 times
FAF User Name: arma473

Re: Transport vulnerable to ground units sometimes, is it a

Postby tatsu » 04 Aug 2020, 10:00

uh when transports are in the position where they pick up or drop off units they are in the ground "layer" (you can see that visually as they are closer to the ground) and they are therefore targetable by all "...-to-ground" weapons.

that is part of the game's design.

now, does it look a bit off because they aren't at that point fully landed (you can see them hovering a bit above the ground, not touching the ground) and this is exacerbated by the fact transports can in fact fully land? yes.

but that's just because the devs of this game didn't manage to get loading units into transport work by having them slot themselves in while it's landed (there were probably a lot of collisions with the transport and the units in that method which might have lagged or bugged the game or they simply never manager the get units to attach that way)

bottom line is the technical fix to this is to have the transport hover a bit above ground (so that units can already cycle underneath without colliding with it) and are sucked up by the transport. you'll have to use your imagination there and imagine the transport is fully landed and supcom got amazing immersive transport loading animations working and all this is happening on the ground.

because that's where the sim sees this happening. on the ground.

TLDR: no, not a bug.

EDIT: since I now notice you're talking about overcharge. overcharge is pretty weird in this game since it is a target-seeking projectile that, in the code says it cannot miss it's target, (more or less, and this is the only projectile in the game for which this extra code is added) which means it does some really really weird stuff (especially when it's target is already dead, sometimes loop-de-loops).

EDIT so yeah I watched you replay you didn't only overcharge his transport that was trying to pick him up (which is perfectly normal and as-intended) you also shot normal commander shots at it (which is perfectly normal and as-intended).

I don't know why you a 1300 player and your opponent a 1500 , think this is a bug.
tatsu
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 1952 times
Been liked: 171 times
FAF User Name: tatsu

Return to General Discussions