Ladder maps

Talk about general things concerning Forged Alliance Forever.

Moderators: FtXCommando, Ze Dogfather

Ladder maps

Postby GodKron » 03 Aug 2020, 11:15

I see we have great neroxis map generator now. Can we use it for ladder games (inspired by Heroes of Might and Magic 3)?
It will be much more fair to all players, because noone can have 100500 games on a random map (obviously).
If, for some reasons, this can't be done, can we use this approach for 2v2 ladder?
P.S. I am realy tired of "lobby simulator", so I am looking forward to +- fair team matchmaking!
GodKron

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1 time
FAF User Name: GodKron

Re: Ladder maps

Postby tatsu » 03 Aug 2020, 14:46

isn't that already what's planned?

seems obvious to me. that's all I personally wanna play on ladder.
tatsu
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 1952 times
Been liked: 171 times
FAF User Name: tatsu

Postby FtXCommando » 03 Aug 2020, 18:10

Planned? It comes down to the generator coming close to the quality of a curated map pool. If that doesn’t exist, there is nothing to plan or debate.
Are you upset? Are you happy? Are you a FAF Player? Come to the PC Discord and share your thoughts and build the community!

https://discord.gg/Y2dGU8X
FtXCommando
Councillor - Players

Has liked: 234 times
Been liked: 583 times
FAF User Name: FtXCommando

Postby tatsu » 03 Aug 2020, 18:52

I'm satisfied with the quality and it just got better with the recent patch with more improvements to come.

what departments if any do you find the procedural maps lacking in?
tatsu
Supreme Commander

Postby FtXCommando » 04 Aug 2020, 03:03

tatsu wrote:I'm satisfied with the quality and it just got better with the recent patch with more improvements to come.

what departments if any do you find the procedural maps lacking in?

I’m not. From first glance it absolutely isn’t close to the quality I’m comfortable with for ladder.
Are you upset? Are you happy? Are you a FAF Player? Come to the PC Discord and share your thoughts and build the community!

https://discord.gg/Y2dGU8X
FtXCommando
Councillor - Players

Has liked: 234 times
Been liked: 583 times
FAF User Name: FtXCommando

Postby FemtoZetta » 04 Aug 2020, 04:44

If anything it could be a "map" in the pool that's randomly generated. It shouldn't all just be randomly generated maps; majority should be normal maps.
Last edited by FemtoZetta on 05 Aug 2020, 12:19, edited 1 time in total.
FemtoZetta
Crusader

Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 2 times
FAF User Name: FemtoZetta

Postby tatsu » 04 Aug 2020, 09:46

FtXCommando wrote:I’m not. From first glance it absolutely isn’t close to the quality I’m comfortable with for ladder.

could you please elaborate?

from what I can tell you're saying that as a reflex with nothing concrete to back it up?
tatsu
Supreme Commander

Postby biass » 04 Aug 2020, 13:55

Honestly a little mad that half of you dudes won't touch any small water map with a 10ft pole and then turn around and wanna play this in ladder:

tatsu wrote:could you please elaborate?

Burden of proof is on you guys to propose as to exactly why this should be in ladder.
You're essentially asking to play only 1/5 score or lower maps just to avoid needing a build order, I don't see this as an advantage.
Map thread: https://bit.ly/2PBsa5H

Petricpwnz wrote:biass on his campaign to cleanse and remake every single map of FAF because he is an untolerating reincarnation of mapping hitler
biass
Contributor

Has liked: 598 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: biass

Postby tatsu » 04 Aug 2020, 21:34

I don't get what you mean?

I take it you're firmly in the "5 maps in the pool for everyone tops" camp; since you talk about memorizing build order, and by that I assume you mean full game-length BO, not first 15 queued structures with first 10 queued units BO, because the latter I do have and am able to adapt and flex according to the map or the kind of offense I'm in the mood for that day. you aren't seriously proposing that I'm coming up with everything I do on the fly as I play my ladder matches?

So I don't see exactly what you're saying there. I thought the side that wanted memorised BO to the last second was crushed in the polls on map pool?

Yes the map above does look tasty to me. I'd play that anyday and no that's not a navy map (at least not in the sence of you ever fighting boats with boats, I'm sure you can tell from looking at it).

plus the parameters of this map generator (I'm sure you realized as you were generating this one) are quite configurable. so you could for example have less to no water on larger maps, not that larger maps are predominant on ladder I thought we also agreed?
tatsu
Supreme Commander

Postby armacham01 » 05 Aug 2020, 05:09

One reason to avoid using generated maps is that we won't be able to watch the replays (unless FAF starts saving every single randomly-generated map, OR if it saves the seeds AND it saves the code to generate a map from a seed)

In theory you could generate 50 maps, pick the 5 "best" ones for ladder, and put those in the pool for a week. Do this every week and we always have some fresh maps. But we already have a lot of maps to choose from. Why push created maps out of the way to make room for generated stuff? We should encourage more people to make custom maps. Not look for substitutes.
armacham01

Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 109 times
FAF User Name: arma473

Next

Return to General Discussions