Ladder maps

Talk about general things concerning Forged Alliance Forever.

Moderators: FtXCommando, Ze Dogfather

Re: Ladder maps

Postby Sheikah » 05 Aug 2020, 12:50

I wanted to chime in quickly here as I am currently the dev working on the map generator. First I wanted to say that the map generator has made improvements recently to the variation and quality of the maps generated. That being said, I understand that it is most likely not up to consistently putting out the quality of maps that would be desired in the map pool, and individual maps cannot really be used to judge the quality. I like to think of it as similar to the idea of self-driving cars, sure it can work sometimes but if it doesn't work every time then it shouldn't be solely relied on.

To get it to a place where it is consistently generating good maps I am working with the ladder team to help refine the map generator with the principles they use for rigorously evaluating maps. I am also open to any general feedback as well from the player-base.
I am regularly hosting 1v1s on generated maps as this is the best way to get feedback on how the maps play so feel free to join me or host your own as this is ultimately what will allow it to be developed the fastest. I just ask that you include map gen or generator in the title as this makes the replays easier to find.

biass wrote:The ladder pool is not going to be able to reroll the map and adjust settings per each map. It does not do it with adaptive maps and it will not do it here. I clicked generate in the lobby ONCE and rolled this abomination; I couldn't have asked for a better example. Furthermore, the map is of such a low visual standard that user created maps made of the same standard are oft removed from the vault and their authors on rare occasion banned from uploading.

I'm sure the dev is aware of this, as well as what he discussed with FtX in the PC discord.

On the note of the settings, they are passed along in the map name as values that are used to seed different terrain generation. So it is entirely feasible that maps generated for the more competitive purposes are given a restricted set of options. This is what I view as the first step in working with the ladder team.

And yes the aesthetics are not great and need to be improved.
Sheikah

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 8 times
FAF User Name: Sheikah

Postby AdmiralZeech » 05 Aug 2020, 16:19

tatsu wrote:What no talking? on a forum?

Maybe you could explain what makes a good 1v1 map in your opinion, and how the generated maps will always fulfill your criteria?
AdmiralZeech
Priest

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 62 times

Postby tatsu » 05 Aug 2020, 16:41

aethetics will never be up to par with the manmande works of art we're dealing with nowadays. NEVER.

Is that what we're debating is the problem here? I'd like to hope it was understood amongst us all here no matter the side we're on that that was not even "one of" the problems that were being debated here.

We are talking about competitive ladder. just as a reminder.

and just as a reminder NOONE is suggesting removing manmader maps completely and utterly.

(And don't debate with me that I was. I'm not and I reaffirming that with this reply so that's settled.)

So we're talking about the possibility of injecting theoretical infinite variance into the map pool.

On the surface and if the maps aren't unbalanced or bugged or otherwise contrary to FAF fun then that's a good thing right?

Apparently not and I want to know why. I want to know WHY from the naysayers SPECIFICALLY BECAUSE their opinion matters in fixing these procedurally generated maps.

and in that case there would be no objections left to random maps in ladder? (I like the generated on the fly Idea, that would be my ultimate goal, obviously there would be a first few months where we only let human-curated maps out of the generated batches into the ladder pool so you would have the BO effect on those maps, but after the generator stops producing maps that vetters ever veto then we can say the trial period is over and it could be on-the-fly generation.)

AdmiralZeech wrote:Maybe you could explain what makes a good 1v1 map in your opinion, and how the generated maps will always fulfill your criteria?

I'm not saying they perfectly do fulfill my criteria right now, but I'd be unable to say why. I guess I'd defer to more experienced players to be able to say that. or maybe there's nothing wrong with them at all (aesthetics aside).

Here's a replay where I had a fucking fucking blast : https://replay.faforever.com/12333829

I like that.

I like the idea of not having to wait for someone (who obviously knows about procedural map gen and that they're worth a shot) to join my host.

I like the idea of clicking the "play" button in ladder and be thrown into that (and without having seen the preview) please yes. making the play button that much better? yes. please.
tatsu
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 1952 times
Been liked: 171 times
FAF User Name: tatsu

Postby nine2 » 05 Aug 2020, 17:04

Well I can understand the reluctance to a perm random ladder - but how about a one-off experimental mapgen ladder week? Just for a casual laugh to see what it's like - then we put it back.
nine2
Councillor - Promotion

Has liked: 285 times
Been liked: 515 times
FAF User Name: Anihilnine

Postby FtXCommando » 05 Aug 2020, 17:49

I fail to see the benefit in some sort of combination of curated maps and a map generator. Either the map generator is good enough to associate with curated maps, or it isn’t. If it is, it replaces the curated maps. Or at least it would be up for discussion. If it isn’t, it doesn’t and so it stays out of ladder.

I’m also not interested in throwing a generator that creates bad ladder maps into ladder for the memes. There are better ways to test the program without harming user experience.

Any sort of experiment using the generator within ladder requires a bare minimum quality check.

Also, we ARE talking about aesthetics. Ladder maps are graded on a weighted rating across the categories of aesthetics/gameplay/variance. Maps can look like shit and still get into ladder (badlands), but it requires the map to perform better in other categories. And no, there is more to my expectations than a map being symmetrical and not bugged.
Are you upset? Are you happy? Are you a FAF Player? Come to the PC Discord and share your thoughts and build the community!

https://discord.gg/Y2dGU8X
FtXCommando
Councillor - Players

Has liked: 234 times
Been liked: 583 times
FAF User Name: FtXCommando

Postby tatsu » 05 Aug 2020, 18:52

then what? what is it that's wrong? again not saying they're perfect. just saying I don't know. (aesthetics aside)
tatsu
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 1952 times
Been liked: 171 times
FAF User Name: tatsu

Postby nine2 » 06 Aug 2020, 11:29

Hey ftx,

While the quality isn't there, random maps are interesting for ladder because they favour improvisation over rehearsal. Pretty sure I remember Blackheart being interested in mapgen as well.

A mapgen "week" might be overdoing it but what about one mapgen "day"?

The benefits are:
- developer has motivation to improve improve improve
- gain feedback
- interesting for players

The league provides a very serious ladder experience and that has just finished. End of league seems like a good time to try something like this because
- doesnt interfere with league
- gives the ladder players who have been thrashing it something new, a reason to continue with ladder now that the big league is paused
nine2
Councillor - Promotion

Has liked: 285 times
Been liked: 515 times
FAF User Name: Anihilnine

Previous

Return to General Discussions