Ladder maps

Talk about general things concerning Forged Alliance Forever.

Moderators: FtXCommando, Ze Dogfather

Re: Ladder maps

Postby armacham01 » 05 Aug 2020, 05:10

Also, I do like the idea of playing 1v1s on generated maps and I've done it in custom games. If those lobbies were more popular that would go a long way towards convincing people that there is demand for having generated maps on the ladder.
armacham01

Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 109 times
FAF User Name: arma473

Postby FtXCommando » 05 Aug 2020, 05:28

The maps generated are terrible for 1v1 and fail fo follow basic mapping principles. If current authored maps and generated maps look the same to you, I just don’t know what to say to you. The best ones I’ve generated so far might just barely squeeze by the minimum acceptability rating for a viable ladder map.

I’ve already given comments to the dev of the generator, don’t see the point in repeating myself here.

I’m also not doing this make 50 maps and choose 5 from it for ladder idea. That’s an absurd amount of work and anyone involved with ladder is gonna burn out within 2 pools of doing that system. Especially when you add on additional matchmaker pools.

By the way, the map biass just showed is going to be a terrible time in a ladder game. Look at the mountains basically dissuading all interaction between players. It’s literally a worse ladder map than dual gap.
Are you upset? Are you happy? Are you a FAF Player? Come to the PC Discord and share your thoughts and build the community!

https://discord.gg/Y2dGU8X
FtXCommando
Councillor - Players

Has liked: 234 times
Been liked: 583 times
FAF User Name: FtXCommando

Postby biass » 05 Aug 2020, 07:09

tatsu wrote:I take it you're firmly in the "5 maps in the pool for everyone tops" camp; since you talk about memorizing build order

So I don't see exactly what you're saying there. I thought the side that wanted memorised BO to the last second was crushed in the polls on map pool?

Do your research before you act so mighty.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15551&hilit=ladder+pool+size#p157535

Or at least try to remember, because you even wrote in that thread yourself.

tatsu wrote:plus the parameters of this map generator (I'm sure you realized as you were generating this one) are quite configurable. so you could for example have less to no water on larger maps, not that larger maps are predominant on ladder I thought we also agreed?

The ladder pool is not going to be able to reroll the map and adjust settings per each map. It does not do it with adaptive maps and it will not do it here. I clicked generate in the lobby ONCE and rolled this abomination; I couldn't have asked for a better example. Furthermore, the map is of such a low visual standard that user created maps made of the same standard are oft removed from the vault and their authors on rare occasion banned from uploading.

I'm sure the dev is aware of this, as well as what he discussed with FtX in the PC discord.

I also agree with FtX that if you can't tell the difference between the example I posted and a user created map, you don't have what is required for a discussion about the topic. I don't know how you fix that, go make some comparisons? get better at the game? dunno.
Map thread: https://bit.ly/2PBsa5H

Petricpwnz wrote:biass on his campaign to cleanse and remake every single map of FAF because he is an untolerating reincarnation of mapping hitler
biass
Contributor

Has liked: 598 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: biass

Postby tatsu » 05 Aug 2020, 10:39

Last edited by tatsu on 05 Aug 2020, 14:01, edited 1 time in total.
tatsu
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 1952 times
Been liked: 171 times
FAF User Name: tatsu

Postby FtXCommando » 05 Aug 2020, 10:43

tatsu wrote:we

This isn't a "we" debate but a "me" debate.

I can tell you don't know mapping principles, don't need to reemphasize.

To reiterate, I'm already working with the developer of the map generator and there is nothing to be gained by me explaining why it's bad at making competitive maps here.
Are you upset? Are you happy? Are you a FAF Player? Come to the PC Discord and share your thoughts and build the community!

FtXCommando
Councillor - Players

Postby tatsu » 05 Aug 2020, 10:47

FtXCommando wrote:there is nothing to be gained by me explaining why it's bad at making competitive maps here.

What no talking? on a forum?

No I think you can do better than a :

“War is peace.
Freedom is slavery.
Ignorance is strength.”

on the freaking FAF forum.
tatsu
Supreme Commander

Postby keyser » 05 Aug 2020, 11:36

you can find all the information you want here : https://discord.com/channels/4562961000 ... 1133714443
Zockyzock:
VoR is the clan of upcoming top players now
keyser
Councillor - Game

Has liked: 424 times
Been liked: 540 times
FAF User Name: keyser

Postby tatsu » 05 Aug 2020, 11:59

404 :

Screenshot from 2020-08-05 11-58-49.png
Screenshot from 2020-08-05 11-58-49.png (23.67 KiB) Viewed 629 times

is that something to make me take the hint or which channel is it?
tatsu
Supreme Commander

Postby Sheikah » 05 Aug 2020, 12:00

armacham01 wrote:One reason to avoid using generated maps is that we won't be able to watch the replays (unless FAF starts saving every single randomly-generated map, OR if it saves the seeds AND it saves the code to generate a map from a seed)

Just as a note this has been fixed in client version 1.1.9 so generated map replays are now watchable. The map will be regenerated when the replay is opened as the map name is the seed.
Last edited by Sheikah on 05 Aug 2020, 13:09, edited 1 time in total.
Sheikah

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 8 times
FAF User Name: Sheikah

Postby FtXCommando » 05 Aug 2020, 12:41

keyser just linked the ladder channel on the Discord in my signature, not sure why it didn't open for you.

FtXCommando
Councillor - Players

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions