The "What AI can you beat?!" challenge

Talk about general things concerning Forged Alliance Forever.

Moderators: FtXCommando, Ze Dogfather

The "What AI can you beat?!" challenge

Postby tatsu » 30 Jul 2020, 01:39

I'm officially opening this challenge

Here are the rules, you pick a map that has AI markers (so that Sorian can play) and you play on it vs increasingly difficult set of AIs. (obviously It has to be a 1v1 setup) And you pick a spawn point on the map (you must pick mirror spawns).

You can choose a map already chosen by another player but if you do at least choose a different spawn as this is likely to change things up.

snipes are of course allowed, the lower the time the better, bonus points if you can make a show of dominance by simultaneously having map control.

The first purpose of this is to challenge yourself. I remember that before joining GPGnet in my noob-brained fashion I desperately wanted to only try PvP for the first time if I'd beaten the hardest AIX (i think at the time it was the tech AIX). I remember getting it by the skin of my teeth just once and being like "there! I finally deserve to matchmake! I bet few there can say they did as much!".

Woe be me to discover that not only were most players there capable off brushing of a tech AIX like it was nothing but the playstyle required to do so was wholly incompatible with PvP.

Now going back to this 'AI ladder challenge' I find the PvP playstyle much more suiting and efficient. albeit I'll probably have to adapt it again to get to the level I want. (which is beating ANY ai period, no matter how much extra eco it gets)

the second purpose of this is to classify all AIs from strongest to weakest (averaging the maps).

the simple listing order in the lobby of course is just a way to present them and currently has no baring on how good they are. (that being said maybe we should do something here. Even the sorian / vanilla AI distinction is poor and not user friendly, you can see in my google sheet linked below how they show up in lobby, it's a mess that we would do good to clean up if we want to appeal to newer players)

Also I found this was an opportunity to weigh Loud AI against all the FAF AIs, the only constant here being myself, unfortunately.

Since, of course, I cannot set up a loud vs sorian match (heck, using loud you can't even set up a loud vs vanilla match since they only have "loud" as an opponent in the dropdown) since the loud mod is not available on faf and vise versa.

Fair warning! for those who want to try out loud, since both loud and faf write to the FA install dir, backup your FA install dir to somewhere else, verify integrity of game files with steam and only then run the loud installer. once you're done testing, you can move the whole FA install dir to somewhere else (or delete it) and then restore your back-ed up FA install dir (and only then start up FAF once again).

But right now here are my results : https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

If you feel inclined you can add your own (you'll have to add "AI-Uveso" and "AI-swarm" in the mod vault : https://imgur.com/a/hC6TZDm)

after this i think I'll add an AI vs AI component to really compound the AI's rating.
tatsu
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 1952 times
Been liked: 171 times
FAF User Name: tatsu

Return to General Discussions