Team Matchmaker UI Discussion

Talk about general things concerning Forged Alliance Forever.

Moderators: FtXCommando, Ze Dogfather

Team Matchmaker UI Discussion

Postby biass » 06 Jul 2020, 11:53

Day by day, we tip-toe ever closer to a feasible user interface solution for the matchmaker.
It's taken many hundreds of small iterations to get to this point, and with some major headaches in part due to the programming language, but we're on track to having something decent with the constraints provided.

I'm posting this today because we have a small pocket of space that we don't really know what to do with.
The small area in the space denoted by the red question marks.

Due to the way the interface is being developed, it's best if we actually had something there instead of trying to push the stats upward or whatever.
So, we're opening it up to you guys to suggest what you want to have there.

My suggestion was to have your most recent replays there for easy access, as well as a small way of tracking your winloss.
Blackyps suggested to have the map icons listed in a grid, but we settled on a different solution using the button that I havent finished yet.

That said, please tell us what you would put there if you had the choice.

Feel free to add on any comments about the WIP UI you have now before it comes to the point where it's too hard to change. But please read the FAQ in the spoiler before you post something.

Spoiler: show
Q: Why do some buttons (the Aeon faction, 2v2, etc) appear different?
A: They're to showcase what the element looks like when the mouse is hovering over the button.

Q: Why does the menu take up half the screen space?
A: To make it feasble with the average FAF user's lower resolution monitor display, as well as providing an easy responsive solution for people who don't run the FAF client fullscreen. the chat will fall underneath the menu, as if it were a website.

Q: Does this mean that the TMM will go from 1v1 to 6v6?
A: The current plan is to go up to 5v5, and the 6th button will be for a limited time event queue if one is available.

Q: Why does petric have a crown?
A: Petric is the party leader, this denotes him as such while keeping your information at an anchored place at the top of the screen.
Only a host can invite players, so please pretend the "invite players" button is red and says "leave party" if you're not a host.
Hitting the invite button will bring up a popup where you can type in usernames as well as (hopefully) being able to see your friends in a space to invite them faster.
Invites will appear on the notification icon on the top right of the client, and hopefully with a small popup there as well to help notify you.

Q: How do I ready up?
A: We're most likely moving to a system wherein you ready up once you've found a game. this helps remove the chance of starting with AFK players.
In that case, you'll just hit the search button again to ready up. We'll make it go green or something.

Q: The stuff on the bottom looks funny.
A: It's nowhere close to being done.

Finally, as an aside; The TMM is probably going to be released in tandem with a new league system. The names of the leagues is still up for debate; so please drop your suggestions on what is the best league name system for you below (military ranks, materials, etc)

Cheers.
Map thread: https://bit.ly/2PBsa5H

Petricpwnz wrote:biass on his campaign to cleanse and remake every single map of FAF because he is an untolerating reincarnation of mapping hitler
biass
Contributor

Has liked: 598 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: biass

Re: Team Matchmaker UI Discussion

Postby FemtoZetta » 06 Jul 2020, 16:49

I think having stats there, like currently in the client with the rating distribution would be nice. Maybe in the end an extra tab for more extensive stats is a better solution though.
To keep it simple just win/loss and rating change for your last 20(?) games would be nice (you can see a overview of your games in the vault relatively easy already). But that doesn't occupy much space.

On the other topic: for league names I suggest a combination of metals and cool sounding names for the top leagues (like in CSGO for example).
Maybe something like this (inspired by chess):
Bronze -> Silver -> Gold -> Master -> Grandmaster -> Supreme Grandmaster
FemtoZetta
Crusader

Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 2 times
FAF User Name: FemtoZetta

Postby FtXCommando » 06 Jul 2020, 19:28

What’s the point of a win/loss stat?
Are you upset? Are you happy? Are you a FAF Player? Come to the PC Discord and share your thoughts and build the community!

https://discord.gg/Y2dGU8X
FtXCommando
Councillor - Players

Has liked: 234 times
Been liked: 583 times
FAF User Name: FtXCommando

Postby FemtoZetta » 06 Jul 2020, 20:16

Just for the recent games, not overall. Gives a general idea of how you are doing. I guess rating change alone fulfills that already.
FemtoZetta
Crusader

Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 2 times
FAF User Name: FemtoZetta

Postby Se7ven » 06 Jul 2020, 20:26

I think win loss overall should be implemented I would like to see exact win and loss numbers aswell so you can see how good you are doing win percentage whise .
Se7ven

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1 time
FAF User Name: Se7ven

Postby armacham01 » 06 Jul 2020, 21:01

You should leave it blank for now. That way you have flexibility to add something later and people won't feel like you're taking something away from them. You might also want to rotate through multiple types of content for that space. Sometimes it would show certain stats for the user, other times it would show something else, like stats for FAF as a whole.

"The TMM is probably going to be released in tandem with a new league system. The names of the leagues is still up for debate; so please drop your suggestions on what is the best league name system for you below (military ranks, materials, etc)"

Name the leagues after players with many, many games:

Coca - Aldarion - FLOOD - Quagar - Montana - Turin

Okay, more seriously: I'm not sure we would benefit from having leagues at all. I would favor a military ranks theme based on the UEF faction. After 3-6 months, you could replace it with new league names based on the Cybran military hierarchy. Then do aeon, then seraphim. You know the top league for Cybran would be "Elite Commander." It can't be anything else. UEF is probably "General." I don't think we met anyone in the campaign higher than that. Seraphim would have ranks like e.g. "Un-Ashin (Devastator)" and "Ath-Ythsau (World-breaker)" except you'd have to figure out their language to get the names right. You can't just make up nonsense syllables (or can you?)
armacham01

Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 109 times
FAF User Name: arma473

Postby Laticlave » 06 Jul 2020, 21:21

I think I'd ordinarily expect some kind of party chatbox there
Laticlave

Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 31 times
FAF User Name: Laticlave

Postby FtXCommando » 06 Jul 2020, 21:33

Se7ven wrote:I think win loss overall should be implemented I would like to see exact win and loss numbers aswell so you can see how good you are doing win percentage whise .

The whole point of trueskill is to maintain a .5 win rate. You’re trying to empty the ocean with a bucket if you’re focused on improving win rate.

Win rate over the last week or something could be fine, I guess.

Daily reminder league systems are meant to be intuitive. Switching names every month or making them become “Yuworhe-djeoq” is not an option.
Are you upset? Are you happy? Are you a FAF Player? Come to the PC Discord and share your thoughts and build the community!

FtXCommando
Councillor - Players

Postby RedX » 07 Jul 2020, 03:20

Doesn't excluding 6v6 exclude many of the most popular team maps?
RedX

Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 14 times
FAF User Name: D3matt

Postby FtXCommando » 07 Jul 2020, 03:49

Can’t think of one other than dual gap, and if you really want to get into that argument, there’s really no functional difference between a 5v5 and a 6v6 on dual gap.

FtXCommando
Councillor - Players

Next

Return to General Discussions