Tool to see net balance changes between time and now?

Talk about general things concerning Forged Alliance Forever.

Moderators: FtXCommando, Ze Dogfather

Tool to see net balance changes between time and now?

Postby sasin » 10 Jun 2020, 19:36

Hello,

I have been thinking about jumping back into FAF, but when I went to look at the balance changes, I found it hard to keep track of the net changes between the balance as I knew it and the balance now. Is there any tool out there to put in a past date and see the net changes on each unit between then and now? I know they have that for some other games.

If not, how hard would it be to make? It seems it would be useful given the number of players who played from different eras that jump back in.
sasin
Priest

Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 43 times
FAF User Name: sasin

Re: Tool to see net balance changes between time and now?

Postby RedX » 10 Jun 2020, 20:53

Well if you're really interested you could pick a date on GitHub and compare the values in that revision with the current one. It's basically just config files.
RedX

Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 14 times
FAF User Name: D3matt

Postby tatsu » 11 Jun 2020, 22:42

sasin wrote:Is there any tool out there to put in a past date and see the net changes on each unit between then and now? I know they have that for some other games.

If not, how hard would it be to make? It seems it would be useful given the number of players who played from different eras that jump back in.

Raw unit stats is probably not what you want though :

For example faf added units and buildings.

I imagine your automatically generated comparison would fail on units that didn't exist in previous version, therefore not including those.

Also the stats say nothing about the changed game mechanics, such as auto-OC, full-share, auto-mex cap, shield damage spread, Wreaks in the sea, Direct fire switched to arked projectile, or continuous fire changed to a repeat volley, a unit changed to AOE and vice versa, changes to the air transports capacity ect ect ect ect.

I made a post about that if you're interested. It's cursory, I don't know about everything, it's to the best of my knowledge. I noticed the T2 Aoeon gunship recently changed rate f fire and projectile type, I think?

https://gaming.stackexchange.com/questi ... 014#353014
tatsu
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 1952 times
Been liked: 171 times
FAF User Name: tatsu

Postby sasin » 15 Jun 2020, 08:06

tatsu wrote:
sasin wrote:Is there any tool out there to put in a past date and see the net changes on each unit between then and now? I know they have that for some other games.

Raw unit stats is probably not what you want though :

For example faf added units and buildings.

I imagine your automatically generated comparison would fail on units that didn't exist in previous version, therefore not including those.

Also the stats say nothing about the changed game mechanics, such as auto-OC, full-share, auto-mex cap, shield damage spread, Wreaks in the sea, Direct fire switched to arked projectile, or continuous fire changed to a repeat volley, a unit changed to AOE and vice versa, changes to the air transports capacity ect ect ect ect.

I made a post about that if you're interested. It's cursory, I don't know about everything, it's to the best of my knowledge. I noticed the T2 Aoeon gunship recently changed rate f fire and projectile type, I think?

https://gaming.stackexchange.com/questi ... 014#353014

Oh man, this is sounds exhausting. Now I'm pretty intimidated about returning, although I'm sure I'd figure things out soon enough.
sasin
Priest

Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 43 times
FAF User Name: sasin

Return to General Discussions