Unexplored Map Mode

Talk about general things concerning Forged Alliance Forever.

Moderators: FtXCommando, Ze Dogfather

Re: Unexplored Map Mode

Postby RedX » 21 May 2020, 07:37

Bennis- wrote:
Why the hostility?

I can provide an analysis:

A thread is being opened with a new, interesting and challenging idea about a new game mode and a tournament around said game mode.
The game mode is the idea of playing unexplored maps with fog of war, which puts emphasis on scouting before acting and would most likely result in either chaos or think before play or scout before play styles and would overall favor smart or adaptive individuals (like myself)

you then enter the thread and make the following statement:

I dont think that the game mode is a good idea, because I (a person without any merit to their name to make a value statement) play (insert a completely irrelevant RTS) and in this RTS your game mode (decribed in a way that makes clear you didnt understand what this thread is about) tends to suck (without any analysis as to why you believe it is a bad idea)

I dont know its just so completely hilarious and triggering beyond repair that I had to laugh very loud and had to make my ironic post.

You can kill me for it. but since you asked why the hostility, I provided you an honest and from my view complete answer.
Your reading comprehension could use a lot of work. I never said it sucks in civ. I said it works well in Civ (which, btw, is not even an RTS). If you had put as much effort into thinking critically about the idea as you did into attacking me, you'd have quickly come to several conclusions:

• Unexplored map is pointless unless nobody knows the map
  • The only way to ensure nobody knows the map is to make it random
  • Random maps in RTSes are not good (if they were good, they wouldn't be a completely unused feature of FAF and a non-existent one in basically every other RTS ever)
  • Thus, the idea has serious hurdles to cross before being viable

Nowhere did I say the idea was not interesting or even promising, only that I question whether the conditions exist for it to really shine. But hey, if you just want to keep drinking haterade and tooting your own out-of-tune horn, I can't stop you.
RedX

Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 14 times
FAF User Name: D3matt

Postby vongratz » 21 May 2020, 08:20

Well, Its a VERY interesting idea to be implemented.
vongratz

Has liked: 165 times
Been liked: 9 times

Postby Katharsas » 21 May 2020, 20:48

RedX wrote:[*]Random maps in RTSes are not good (if they were good, they wouldn't be a completely unused feature of FAF and a non-existent one in basically every other RTS ever)

Except every competitive AOE2 game is played on random maps (yes AOE2 is well and alive with 10k dollar tournament coming).
Katharsas

Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 34 times
FAF User Name: Katharsas

Previous

Return to General Discussions