Installing FAF is as annoying as hell now.

Talk about general things concerning Forged Alliance Forever.

Moderators: FtXCommando, Ze Dogfather

Installing FAF is as annoying as hell now.

Postby Neutrino » 18 Apr 2020, 18:10

It used to be that installing FAF was as simple as running the installer. Now it's not.

I have Supreme Commander and Forged Alliance both installed. But now installing FAF it tells me that I have to have either game installed via Steam. Except I can't find the box with the CD key, and the one retrieved from the registry isn't recognised by Steam.

Importing the game into Steam as an existing game also doesn't work.

So now to install FAF I have to buy Supreme Commander again? That's not very good. It's not particularly expensive, but I have a pathalogical dislike of buying things that I already own.

Any advice?
Neutrino

Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 13 times
FAF User Name: Neutrino

Re: Installing FAF is as annoying as hell now.

Postby Sovietpride » 18 Apr 2020, 19:03

PM'd
Sovietpride

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 109 times
FAF User Name: Sovietpride

Postby RedX » 20 Apr 2020, 07:11

I can't find the sticky about it but it was basically this or get sued. One of the rights-holders was not happy that code owned by the rights-holder was being distributed by FAF, even in a modified format, and the compromise reached was that FAF must verify all users own the game, and the way to do so was via Steam. There was talk of modifying the client so that the code was merged client-side with existing copyrighted code, but that never happened before the deadline and still has not happened, so now Steam ownership is required.
RedX

Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 14 times
FAF User Name: D3matt

Postby ThomasHiatt » 20 Apr 2020, 09:16

The rights owners don't actually care and didn't say anything at all it is just some scenario visionik invented in his mind and had implemented just in case something like that ever happens.
ThomasHiatt

Has liked: 116 times
Been liked: 110 times
FAF User Name: ThomasHiatt

Return to General Discussions