Looking to start FAF properly, but a little intimidated

Talk about general things concerning Forged Alliance Forever.

Moderators: FtXCommando, Ze Dogfather

Looking to start FAF properly, but a little intimidated

Postby VincentMicah » 30 Mar 2020, 09:27

Hi guys,

So SC:FA is my favourite RTS of all time, I've played through the campaign countless times, watched alot of Gyle casts and I've done a few FAF matches ages ago, won a couple but lost countless team games.

I'm looking to get back into it but honestly I open the lobby and I'm just worried of doing terribly, I'm ranked on global as -200 and I don't want to be a burden on other teammates (very British of me).

I'm just wondering if there's any groups of people who are out there who would take me under their wing I'd appreciate it, as it's loads more fun to play with friends and my friends don't have the time / aren't RTS fans!

I'm from the UK if there's any people close to my time zone.
VincentMicah

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Re: Looking to start FAF properly, but a little intimidated

Postby FtXCommando » 30 Mar 2020, 13:32

If you want to find players you’re better off going to the FAF Discord or just playing with random people on the client until you find others you gel with. Best way to find people that play when you’re available too.

If you want to improve, you’re better off submitting replays to the training team on the FAF Discord so that they can look then over and give you advice.
Are you upset? Are you happy? Are you a FAF Player? Come to the PC Discord and share your thoughts and build the community!

https://discord.gg/Y2dGU8X
FtXCommando
Councillor - Players

Has liked: 234 times
Been liked: 583 times
FAF User Name: FtXCommando

Postby MaxP » 30 Mar 2020, 20:52

FtXCommando wrote:If you want to find players you’re better off going to the FAF Discord or just playing with random people on the client until you find others you chatib gel with. Best way to find people that play when you’re available too.

If you want to improve, you’re better off submitting replays to the training team on the FAF Discord expressvpn so that they can look then over and give you advice.

I have a server problem that does not let discord run on my network. Is there any other means of communication?
Last edited by MaxP on 03 Apr 2020, 11:07, edited 3 times in total.
MaxP

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: hjnj

Postby FtXCommando » 30 Mar 2020, 20:58

For voice? Not really. IRC chat is built into the client and text chat exists in game as well.
Are you upset? Are you happy? Are you a FAF Player? Come to the PC Discord and share your thoughts and build the community!

https://discord.gg/Y2dGU8X
FtXCommando
Councillor - Players

Has liked: 234 times
Been liked: 583 times
FAF User Name: FtXCommando

Postby Gruffman » 31 Mar 2020, 18:04

Hey VincentMicah, welcome to the game, I went through a similar stage, here's my top tips!

The best youtube channel to learn from is https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJYYaF ... /playlists

In terms of getting your first games in, you will see lobby names saying similar to "Noobs welcome", jump in them. Or indeed, setup your own lobby and name it as such. In such lobbies, ask for help freely, be positive generally and people will help. Another tip would be that you will find there are always a half dozen or so maps in the `meta`, focus on one or two, get to know it and how to behave in each position. Familiarity breeds confidence. Or, just do as I did and only play Thermo maps for months and months as you often have 5+ players on each side (so my mistakes would be less obvious) and air was switched off and there's nowhere for navy to go....:)
Gruffman

Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 7 times
FAF User Name: Gruffman

Postby RedX » 31 Mar 2020, 18:27

I'm not sure who Heaven RTS is, but I'd argue the best channel to learn FAF is the master himself, Zock: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... HMnTzDJ810
RedX

Been liked: 14 times
FAF User Name: D3matt

Postby ZLO_RD » 31 Mar 2020, 18:34

Need to start from UI mods, hotkeys, templates, setting up borderless mode.
Learning what units do what is ofc needed. Including stats and abilities.
Trying out how each unit micro, getting a feel on unit movement.
Learning game mechanics like reclaim, capture, dodging shots, adjacency, shields, radars, sonars, visions/cloak, underwanter vision, sacrifice, planes hovering, groundfire/splash effects.
Learning to balance your eco
http://www.youtube.com/user/dimatularus
http://www.twitch.tv/zlo_rd
TA4Life: "At the very least we are not slaves to the UI"
ZLO_RD
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 303 times
Been liked: 400 times
FAF User Name: ZLO

Postby RedX » 02 Apr 2020, 08:58

ZLO_RD wrote:Need to start from UI mods, hotkeys, templates, setting up borderless mode.
What about borderless mode should I be setting up? Pretty sure I'm just using fullscreen.
RedX

Been liked: 14 times
FAF User Name: D3matt

Postby Defiant » 03 Apr 2020, 02:40

VincentMicah wrote:.. I'm ranked on global as -200 and I don't want to be a burden on other teammates..

We use global rank to balance team games. As long as people generally match their rank, everything is happy for everyone! So don't worry about it, I'd love to have you on my team!

Def
Defiant
Crusader

Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 7 times
FAF User Name: Defiant

Postby LabPunk » 03 Apr 2020, 22:15

RedX wrote:
ZLO_RD wrote:Need to start from UI mods, hotkeys, templates, setting up borderless mode.
What about borderless mode should I be setting up? Pretty sure I'm just using fullscreen.

Some user made maps have graphical glitches when "World Borders" are turned on in the settings menu.
Don't worry about your rating, lots of players end up in the negative when they first get on.
Just play some all welcome games on simple maps to get the hang off mp play.
LabPunk

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 11 times
FAF User Name: Marximum

Return to General Discussions