How is FAF for Australians now?

Talk about general things concerning Forged Alliance Forever.

Moderators: FtXCommando, Ze Dogfather

How is FAF for Australians now?

Postby stalewee » 10 Feb 2020, 06:11

I used to play years back, but various server and proxy changes made FAF pretty much unplayable for Australians.

What's the current situation? Thanks
stalewee
Contributor

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 9 times
FAF User Name: stalewee

Re: How is FAF for Australians now?

Postby biass » 10 Feb 2020, 06:12

Far better, but everyone is not that good at the game so you might still not have players to play against.
Map thread: https://bit.ly/2PBsa5H

Petricpwnz wrote:biass on his campaign to cleanse and remake every single map of FAF because he is an untolerating reincarnation of mapping hitler
biass
Contributor

Has liked: 598 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: biass

Postby stalewee » 10 Feb 2020, 06:21

biass wrote:Far better, but everyone is not that good at the game so you might still not have players to play against.

I don't quite understand. Are you saying that Australians can only play against other Australians?
stalewee
Contributor

Postby biass » 10 Feb 2020, 06:32

No, i'm talking about the general timezone
Map thread: https://bit.ly/2PBsa5H

Petricpwnz wrote:biass on his campaign to cleanse and remake every single map of FAF because he is an untolerating reincarnation of mapping hitler
biass
Contributor

Has liked: 598 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: biass

Postby stalewee » 10 Feb 2020, 06:33

Ahh that's ok. I'm not very good either!
stalewee
Contributor

Postby Katharsas » 10 Feb 2020, 20:39

I don't think there was any progress on getting relay server near Australia, so multiple Australians may still not be able to play with each other.

To explain the issue for anybody who didnt know:
If an Australian connects to another Australian directly, everything works fine, but if the client determines that one of them needs to use the relay server (because they cannot reach each other directly), then all traffic from between the two will be sent over the relay server, which is hosted in Europe, making the game unplayable, because game network data needs to travel from Australia over Europe back to Australia on every tick.

So if there is only a single Australian in a game, everything should work, but if there are more, it depends on luck that ALL australian players get a direct connection to EVERY other australian player.

However, ICE may have made direct connections more likely to be established, don't know.

Another example:
An Australian may have a good direct connection to a US west player over pacific. However, if one of them gets assigned to relay server, now all game traffic between the two will flow through Europe, increasing latency a lot. So basically we need more relay servers in various parts of the world.
Katharsas

Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 34 times
FAF User Name: Katharsas

Postby relent0r » 11 Feb 2020, 00:30

Katharsas wrote:I don't think there was any progress on getting relay server near Australia, so multiple Australians may still not be able to play with each other.

To explain the issue for anybody who didnt know:
If an Australian connects to another Australian directly, everything works fine, but if the client determines that one of them needs to use the relay server (because they cannot reach each other directly), then all traffic from between the two will be sent over the relay server, which is hosted in Europe, making the game unplayable, because game network data needs to travel from Australia over Europe back to Australia on every tick.

So if there is only a single Australian in a game, everything should work, but if there are more, it depends on luck that ALL australian players get a direct connection to EVERY other australian player.

However, ICE may have made direct connections more likely to be established, don't know.

Another example:
An Australian may have a good direct connection to a US west player over pacific. However, if one of them gets assigned to relay server, now all game traffic between the two will flow through Europe, increasing latency a lot. So basically we need more relay servers in various parts of the world.

Worth mentioning that for Australians often the cause of getting directed through a relay server these days is CGNAT used by most/alot of the aus providers.
relent0r

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 6 times
FAF User Name: relentless

Postby Idris » 27 Mar 2020, 16:39

The biggest problem for Australians is people kicking on flag. If you're the only Australian in a game there's generally never any lag, even on a dualgap or whatever, but Russian hosts will autokick any Australians that join games. I literally registered to vent about this after joining eight games in a row and getting instantly kicked from each one. It's truly dispiriting.
Idris

Been liked: 1 time
FAF User Name: Idris

Postby Deribus » 28 Mar 2020, 01:45

Idris wrote:The biggest problem for Australians is people kicking on flag. If you're the only Australian in a game there's generally never any lag, even on a dualgap or whatever, but Russian hosts will autokick any Australians that join games. I literally registered to vent about this after joining eight games in a row and getting instantly kicked from each one. It's truly dispiriting.

Don't take it personally, Russian hosts are pretty strict in my experience. I'm a Russian living in the US and I still get kicked often because of my non-Russian flag.
Deribus

Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 8 times
FAF User Name: Deribus

Postby ZOB » 28 Mar 2020, 06:55

you can contact your isp to get CGNAT disabled
ZOB

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 8 times

Next

Return to General Discussions