Proposed Map Vault Rules Update & Additions

Talk about general things concerning Forged Alliance Forever.

Moderators: FtXCommando, Ze Dogfather

Re: Proposed Map Vault Rules Update & Additions

Postby arhurt » 14 May 2020, 19:33

Hi everyone, I'm new to the scene and unwise on all the history, but I feel I can at least offer one thing.

From what I could garner of the situation, Astro feels like he's been deceived, and in large part that may be due to language barrier. It also seems like Astro is a Brazillian player. If that is correct, I can help bridge the gap being Brazillian myself and I can certainly bridge the communication channel.

Now back on OP's topic. I agree with the general sentiment: We don't want maps with no effort and we now have the tools (via adaptive scripts) to allow a single map entry to have wild variations. So I think the proposed curation of vault content will help get to that state.

Now what I believe is being missed is the fact that great concepts can come out of crappy/hasted jobs by creative individuals. It reminds me back on the beginning of Kongregate, where authors of crappy flash games put up a shit ton of new content every day. Well, lo and behold we got some gems out of that lot. Has a separation of a new area in the vault for "map protoypes" been discussed, with more lenient rules, but a huge disclaimer that it does not represent what the vault stands for? If it has, then I'd like to know the consensus of that discussion, but regardless, I think there must be room for that.

Anyways, my 2cc, I love what you guys have built and just want to contribute. Thanks!
arhurt
Crusader

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 5 times
FAF User Name: Arhurt

Postby FtXCommando » 14 May 2020, 20:20

The astro situation is already resolved.

I'm not really sure why we would need a 3rd segment of the vault. The rules for the vault itself are already extremely lenient as it is. All creating a more lenient vault would do is allow maps with zero texture work and awful terrain that is buggy/lies to you. I have no idea what benefit that gives FAF.
Are you upset? Are you happy? Are you a FAF Player? Come to the PC Discord and share your thoughts and build the community!

https://discord.gg/Y2dGU8X
FtXCommando
Councillor - Players

Has liked: 234 times
Been liked: 583 times
FAF User Name: FtXCommando

Postby Dragun101 » 14 May 2020, 20:26

FtXCommando wrote:The astro situation is already resolved.

I'm not really sure why we would need a 3rd segment of the vault. The rules for the vault itself are already extremely lenient as it is. All creating a more lenient vault would do is allow maps with zero texture work and awful terrain that is buggy/lies to you. I have no idea what benefit that gives FAF.

I agree. One of the nice things I like about FAF has been lack of better way to put it curating of trash. Even if imho both of my current uploaded maps are in trash category (I need rework both of them, just been busy last couple of days but that another tangent). But one of the worst experiences I had before they did an Astro Purge, was when I joined FAF a couple months ago I went to vault looking for cool maps to play.

And like a lot of the maps were astro/gaps before they were hidden. Making finding new maps, for my friends and I to play on an experience. I would rather have our mods have something resembling control than creating a glorified fanfic.net or similar situation where trying to find something is hours of sifting.
Dragun101
Crusader

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 5 times
FAF User Name: Dragun101

Previous

Return to General Discussions