FAF+technoevent=horrible idea?

Talk about general things concerning Forged Alliance Forever.

Moderators: FtXCommando, Ze Dogfather

FAF+technoevent=horrible idea?

Postby harzer99 » 18 Dec 2019, 18:17

Hello fellow FAF players,
for about half a year I have this Idea of hosting a small FAF tourney on a techno/ semi weird electronic music party I organize with a couple of friends. About once a year we have access to a special location in Erlangen (germany) where we agreed on trying out weird concepts. For next year I would like to host a tourney in the room next to the dancefloor and project the observer view of the match behind the DJ booth. The tourney would be more of a side attraction.

My basic plan up until now:
It would likely be 1v1 because that requires the fewest equipment.
The party is not public with about 60 guests (the two times we held it there we hit that mark pretty well).
The tourney would start at about 10pm and I would like to have it last till at least 2am. Also the enviroment is quite noisy. So not the best conditions to play. That's why the main prize will be pretty low. I'm thinking of about 40€. This will rather be a fun event than a competitive one. Especially since there are so many things that can cause a cancellation of the event. (it's a party and we have no experience with hosting esports events)

I guess there are not too many technofans playing FAF. Good news is the nerd level on this event will be quite high for a techno party. Average age will be early-mid 20s. If you are older no issue with me but you should not be underage. This is not the right type of party for a minor. Accomodation might be possible.
This event would take place in late Summer 2020.

What do you think of the concept? Suggestions are very welcome.
harzer99
Crusader

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 2 times
FAF User Name: harzer99

Re: FAF+technoevent=horrible idea?

Postby tatsu » 18 Dec 2019, 19:42

sounds liek a fantastic idea.

I will say this though :

with 15 FAF LAN parties of experience under my belt. even if your attendee count is 16 ppl and under. organisation is a bitch.

I cannot understate how much planning and work goes into one of these so please don't underestimate how hard it will be to not f*** up for a 60 person event especially if this is the first ever time you've done it.

I would advise you have at least two other people helping you organize this that you can delegate to a bit. and you need to be constantly be reminding invitees of the day it's gonna happen and how close it is and to come prepared (computer with FA + FAF already installed and play-tested).

while I've experienced that having music is always more appreciated by my attendees then having none. they prefer it to be at a volume where they can still talk to each other without voice chat while they play. AKA the techno will only ever be secondary to the whole FAF thing so put aside whatever affection you might have for this music and whatever amount of time you were planning on selecting the tracks should be used for organizing logistics, such as having two or three ISP on location, sufficient Ethernet switches and cables and power cables as well.
tatsu
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 1952 times
Been liked: 171 times
FAF User Name: tatsu

Postby Viba » 18 Dec 2019, 20:22

If it is going to be 1v1 only, could be easier with premade setups and just hotseat the tourney. Only need two PC's setup then :)
Viba
Councillor - Moderation

Has liked: 144 times
Been liked: 224 times
FAF User Name: !smurfcheck Viba

Postby tatsu » 18 Dec 2019, 21:08

true but everyone else has got to be really patient. not sure I would be.
tatsu
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 1952 times
Been liked: 171 times
FAF User Name: tatsu

Postby harzer99 » 18 Dec 2019, 21:11

Viba wrote:If it is going to be 1v1 only, could be easier with premade setups and just hotseat the tourney. Only need two PC's setup then :)

Yeah I was thinking about hot seat. Only cusomized hotkeys will be a mess... or no hotkeys.
tatsu wrote:sounds liek a fantastic idea.

I will say this though :
I cannot understate how much planning and work goes into one of these so please don't underestimate how hard it will be to not f*** up for a 60 person event especially if this is the first ever time you've done it.

No the 60 people will be regular party guests (We have experience with handling parties that size). I mean if they want to they can try playing after the tourney, but watching people playing their first FAF matches ever is not really entertaining. I was rather thinking of ~10 people playing in total on 2 machines.
tatsu wrote:I would advise you have at least two other people helping you organize this that you can delegate to a bit. and you need to be constantly be reminding invitees of the day it's gonna happen and how close it is and to come prepared (computer with FA + FAF already installed and play-tested).

Man power should not be too much of an issue. we are at least 2 guys dedicated to the computer setup. And at least 3 guys for the rest. Also I won't be playing or partying that night but constantly running around and checking stuff. ^^
tatsu wrote:while I've experienced that having music is always more appreciated by my attendees then having none. they prefer it to be at a volume where they can still talk to each other without voice chat while they play. AKA the techno will only ever be secondary to the whole FAF thing

That is actually my biggest concern I was planing for it a techno party with a E-sports feature. Not sure if people are up for that. In the worst case the players would be in the "spotlight" as some kind of weird party entertainment. I definitely want to avoid that.
But thanks a lot for the input. I'll keep thinking about it :)
harzer99
Crusader

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 2 times
FAF User Name: harzer99

Postby Blackheart » 18 Dec 2019, 23:10

if it happens ill coom
Blackheart
Priest

Has liked: 294 times
Been liked: 299 times
FAF User Name: various

Postby axel12 » 03 Mar 2020, 23:01

I like it, I will come depending on the date of cause :D
axel12
Contributor

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 6 times
FAF User Name: axel12

Postby Sladow » 03 Mar 2020, 23:45

I honestly like the concept and depending if I have time I'd come. The only thing I'm struggling a bit is if the players - myself included - are going to be patient enough since some maps (20x20) might take quite a long time depending on the skill lvl and the playstyle of the players. Is there any chance to try offering a 2v2 or two seperate 1v1s instead of one 1v1?

But awesome you are thinking about organizing such an event! ^^
Sladow

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: Sladow

Postby axel12 » 04 Mar 2020, 13:00

Well I guess u just pick small ones than right?
axel12
Contributor

FAF User Name: axel12

Postby axel12 » 04 Mar 2020, 13:00

5x5 or 10x10
axel12
Contributor