Can we finally ban ecomanager?

Talk about general things concerning Forged Alliance Forever.

Moderators: FtXCommando, Ze Dogfather

Re: Can we finally ban ecomanager?

Postby ArtVC » 12 May 2020, 11:39

mr_blastman wrote:I know this isn't a popular topic because it seems half the higher ranked players use ecomanager, but let's face it, we have a tool/macro/script that is saving players inputs so they can focus their attention elsewhere, optimizing mex and engie pausing/restarting to keep the mass and power flowing. To me, this is allowing the computer to play part of the game for someone, thus should be considered an exploit or a cheat.

I know removing ecomanager from play will require players to manually manage their eco again like the rest of us, but at least players of equal rank with one another will be on a level footing again because both will have to focus equal attention and apm resources on eco along with everything else. Higher ranked players will adapt like they always do and continue to kick ass.

RTS games were and have always been about the commander telling their army and economy what to do. Ecomanager removes a layer of this. Yes, there are other tools such as advanced targeting priorities, but I think a solid argument can be made that advanced targeting priorities makes sense as something intended in the spirit of the game, whereas ecomanager is not.

If you want and like to click a mouse much, then you need to play in DOTA or something like their clones. Supreme Commander was created not for shooter like style, but for thinking about "what i can do in that situation...".
ArtVC

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: ArtVC

Postby gnatinator » 08 Jun 2020, 06:07

UI mods have always been a chain around the communities neck for player retention. Once people find out UI mods exist they usually are forced to adpot them or simply quit the game.

Simple solution is to either make Ecomanger standard or be banned. Same with the auto-targeting UI mod people sometimes use, which completely ruins the skill ceiling and depth of the gameplay.
Economy for New Players | LAN Party List supports the FAF community.
gnatinator

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 15 times
FAF User Name: gnatinator

Postby FtXCommando » 08 Jun 2020, 06:16

How is the skill ceiling ruined by being able to tell your arty to target pgens as they run away from tanks? How is the game depth lower?

The only UI mods that I would consider a necessity are Supreme Scoreboard for watching replays and having quick metrics to assist in analyzing the game with and Additional Camera Mod for build range circles on units that can build. Advanced Target Priority has the most important aspects integrated (target units/target acu/etc) and the rest are more QOL.

The rationale was that it would be too many options for new players to consider, particularly since there is no new player losing games because he lacked the ability to "target battleships" with target priority. If you're 1600 and want some extra tools, then the mod exists for you.

The rest of the mods I use are QOL. I don't even use Ecomanager, think I play with like 1 dude regularly that even touches it.
Are you upset? Are you happy? Are you a FAF Player? Come to the PC Discord and share your thoughts and build the community!

https://discord.gg/Y2dGU8X
FtXCommando
Councillor - Players

Has liked: 234 times
Been liked: 583 times
FAF User Name: FtXCommando

Postby gnatinator » 08 Jun 2020, 06:46

Supreme Scoreboard is fine, the problem is when an AI starts contributing actions to your game.
Economy for New Players | LAN Party List supports the FAF community.
gnatinator

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 15 times
FAF User Name: gnatinator

Postby RedX » 08 Jun 2020, 08:54

gnatinator wrote:Supreme Scoreboard is fine, the problem is when an AI starts contributing actions to your game.
And which UI mod do you think is an AI contributing actions to your game? Because that is, quite explicitly, banned.
RedX

Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 14 times
FAF User Name: D3matt

Postby Typo91 » 18 Jun 2020, 15:40

The real problem with ECOmanager isn't the pausing and stuff...

Its the fact that if several people have it on the same team, it will dynamically move mass and energy around to keep players flowing above stall.... This alone turns any team of players in to a perfectly balanced force, that instantly turns their best player into god.

Its similar to when in TA you could set a lower threshold of when to share eco.

It takes those weaker players that let mass and E build up and puts it to the use where its needed....

For example... lets say 4 people in a game have it, and the front guy is doing a Com fight, spaming his overcharge.... Now instead of having to ask for E, or wait till people are full to get over flow, His dire need for E since he is the lowest is feed by the 3 other players that have high levels of E.....

Its utter BS, because the same thing happens when said team starts a game ender....

TLDR: its ECO Sharing on steriods
Typo91

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 8 times
FAF User Name: Typo91

Postby FtXCommando » 18 Jun 2020, 15:44

That sounds terrible for teamgames, I don’t want my E going to random idiot getting t2 upgrade and stalling 700 e lol
Are you upset? Are you happy? Are you a FAF Player? Come to the PC Discord and share your thoughts and build the community!

https://discord.gg/Y2dGU8X
FtXCommando
Councillor - Players

Has liked: 234 times
Been liked: 583 times
FAF User Name: FtXCommando

Previous

Return to General Discussions