Team Matchmaker Info&Discussion

Talk about general things concerning Forged Alliance Forever.

Moderators: FtXCommando, Ze Dogfather

Re: Team Matchmaker Info&Discussion

Postby tatsu » 07 Jul 2019, 14:19

biass wrote:
cpu score

Probably a good idea, but might be an easy way to abuse.
Bring your friend playing on a toaster into a game and intentionally attempt to make the enemy team leave from frustration - especially if you cannot see cpu score before the game starts.

you didn't read what I wrote, what else is new?

first who said anything about being able to team matchmake with a player of your preference?

if I understand correctly we're debating the implementation of auto-matchmaking but 2v2 and up. the bot is the one who chooses the players not you.

otherwise it's just general custom.

being able to choose a mate could be a lot of fun, but I know right off the bat that's a lot of extra code, especially ui.

so maybe it'll happen later. anyways since you cannot be asked to read, what was it? some 50ish words? here is again :

one idea would be to use the player's calculated cpu score and under a certain score the matchmaker doesn't include 4v4 matches and 20x20 and above maps

above that score and anything goes. also the player clocked under that certain score does get to matchmake on 4v4 matches and 20x20 and above maps but only with players who are under that certain score as well.

under the hood the matchmaker will be doing this silently, no one's none the wiser and everyone's overall playing experience is improved.

how does that sound?

we can also break it down now, what do those hieroglyphics mean?

well if a player is on a "toaster" then he falls under our previously mentioned bar, so as mentioned in vivid detail : he cannot matchmake with non-toasters and "abuse" into a win. he's playing 100% with other toasters, just a regular day for him and everyone else in the match.
tatsu
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 1952 times
Been liked: 171 times
FAF User Name: tatsu

Postby biass » 07 Jul 2019, 14:58

tatsu wrote:first who said anything about being able to team matchmake with a player of your preference?

You normally make it very easy for me, but come on.
From the OP:

If you could help yourself, and did not add so many sarcastic and self-righteous remarks when you spoke to anyone that disagreeed with you: you would not crash and burn so hard when you make simple mistakes.

tatsu wrote:you didn't read what I wrote, what else is new?

tatsu wrote:anyways since you cannot be asked to read, what was it? some 50ish words? here is again

tatsu wrote:how does that sound?

tatsu wrote:what do those hieroglyphics mean?

You're lucky you get to even say these without getting banned for a week, so please make sure they're used with the correct supporting structure, cheers.
Map thread: https://bit.ly/2PBsa5H

Petricpwnz wrote:biass on his campaign to cleanse and remake every single map of FAF because he is an untolerating reincarnation of mapping hitler
biass
Contributor

Has liked: 598 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: biass

Postby tatsu » 07 Jul 2019, 15:15

oh great you made me forget that.

I walked right into your bait.
tatsu
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 1952 times
Been liked: 171 times
FAF User Name: tatsu

Postby Dro » 07 Jul 2019, 16:01

Totally agree with bias about the VOIP thing. Just allow the option to mute and have a default non opt in setting voip would be nothing but good for the community.
Dro

Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 23 times
FAF User Name: Dro

Postby UnorthodoxBox » 07 Jul 2019, 19:48

Louvegarde wrote:The written game chat of FAF is toxic enough as is, and moderators won't have the time to run through every single voice record of every game where something is reported - and if we don't introduce voice recording and reporting of vocal offenses, then this will become the same toxic cesspool as Modern Warfare 2 once was.
The only reasonable way to have such system would be to have every user muted by default except if from your friend list, but then it loses all interest as you could just basically use discord in 2019.

So yeah, no. Don't. Please.

From my experiences, no one is NEARLY as toxic in voice chat as they can be in normal chat. You can have someone that constantly flames in team chat, but you get on voice with them and they are calm the entire time and never yell. The reason there is less toxicity in voice chat is because with text chat, there is more of an anonymity and dehumanized feel, where you are basically just typing at a screen name that has no body. Once you give that name a voice, its much easier to view, and then treat, that person as human. In all my time here at faf, I have NEVER met anyone more toxic in VC than in text chat.
UnorthodoxBox

Has liked: 131 times
Been liked: 54 times
FAF User Name: Box-

Postby FtXCommando » 08 Jul 2019, 00:21

I don’t think placing people into a voice chat automatically is a required feature for tmm, but I also do not put much weight behind the idea that unless we start storing 5 TBs of audio for reports we can’t have it.

Have a link to the FAF Discord in the matchmaker tab, have rooms for squads, have a looking-4-game channel. No code required (aside from adding a link in the matchmaker tab) and accomplishes the purpose albeit in a more clunky fashion.
Are you upset? Are you happy? Are you a FAF Player? Come to the PC Discord and share your thoughts and build the community!

https://discord.gg/Y2dGU8X
FtXCommando
Councillor - Players

Has liked: 234 times
Been liked: 583 times
FAF User Name: FtXCommando

Postby Geosearchef » 08 Jul 2019, 00:55

that unless we start storing 5 TBs of audio for reports we can’t have it.

Just wanted to mention that this is probably not possible legally.
Developer, Server Admin, ICE, currently working on Team Matchmaking, FAF Client
Geosearchef
Contributor

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 127 times
FAF User Name: Geosearchef

Postby Suomi » 08 Jul 2019, 05:07

An open voice chat sounds much more preferable to having me try and remember random chat commands so I can let my opponent know the gloves are coming off without losing apm.
Suomi

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 4 times
FAF User Name: Suomi

Postby H-master » 08 Jul 2019, 13:41

First of all I would I like to say that I highly appreciate the work the dev's are putting in FAF. I also see the problem of the GAP/ASTRO dominance, and I am glad something is being done about it. FAF has a wealth of awesome maps, it would be great if they are played more.

Also to have one big button to launch a team game is a really good idea.

The devil is indeed in the details though. In your post FtXCommando, you often write how little truth you attribute to global rating, I think that's not entirely justified. I've played around 1400 custom games, and what I see is that the global rating gives a good indication of someone's skill. It's definitely an indication, you have to always keep that in mind, but to say that it says next to nothing about a players skill doesn't match at all with my own experience in games, replays and casts that I see. For me it's really valuable information to balance a game. It also gives something to play for, it's nice to gain points, and it sucks to loose them. It would be a shame if it is pushed gradually to the background.

Wouldn't the TMM be a great tool to get global rating more accurate for the general player base (not the map rating farmers)?

Let's say instead of creating a third type of rating for TMM, it uses global rating instead. It would be a great tool to get games going and people try different maps. Astro/Seton/Gap players wouldn't dare to join because they might loose their rating, but if they do, their rating will get adjusted accordingly.

FtXCommando wrote:So as a potential new solution to the global rating problem:

I’m trying to see if it’s possible to create some one-way system where tmm influences global but global does not influence tmm. This SHOULD prevent both the issue of people no longer caring about their global if they get their tmm rating above it WITHOUT making it so that a barrier of entry exists between tmm and custom games.

This would perhaps be a nice compromise. This way you have the benefit of making global more accurate but you can still matchmake on TMM rating. The downside is that people have to keep track of three ratings, I doubt if people are motivated to do so.
Check out my maps here:

Madness 1 - 7

viewtopic.php?f=53&t=17241&p=172070#p172070
H-master

Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 6 times
FAF User Name: H-master

Postby FtXCommando » 08 Jul 2019, 16:01

You must have been incredibly fortunate because I’ve seen games of 1600s that don’t understand reclaim is part of the game. A global rating influenced team matchmaker does nothing for the competitive atmosphere of the game and there really is no incentive for people to be willing to play matchmaker rather than quit their already often filling global games. The service loses any appeal it could have possibly had and I’ve just become a glorified map picker for 10 2v2 games a month.

When I played (admittedly a year ago) it was not hard for top 100 players on the leaderboards to keep track of the 30ish players that can play a variety of maps and so will regularly stomp any of the other 70ish players that could potentially face them. This means neither group has a desire to play with one another unless the 30 players capable of playing ‘competitive maps’ balance around the potentially 500+ rating inflation some people have.

Currently 5/10 of the top 10 in global would very easily lose to people 500 (or more) rating below them if you picked a map out of a wwpc pool and told them to play in a 2v2. That’s very bad for developing motivation at the top levels to improve themselves when regardless of the effort they put in there are people able to manipulate global to such an extent that they will lose against players trueskill would be nearly certain they should defeat yet these players look as ‘strong’ or ‘stronger’ than them. If people wish to treat it as a casual rating then it should have zero application outside of their custom lobby, which is the point of this change.

Anyway, people shouldn’t be keeping track of their trueskill in the first place and other systems should be made to stop people treating it as a value to boost.
Are you upset? Are you happy? Are you a FAF Player? Come to the PC Discord and share your thoughts and build the community!

https://discord.gg/Y2dGU8X
FtXCommando
Councillor - Players

Has liked: 234 times
Been liked: 583 times
FAF User Name: FtXCommando

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions