Maps and Mods Councillor Elections

Talk about general things concerning Forged Alliance Forever.

Moderators: FtXCommando, Ze Dogfather

Re: Maps and Mods Councillor Elections

Postby nine2 » 01 May 2019, 17:29

Doesn't seem nice to remove maps from vault. You could create a 2nd curated vault and leave the current one as is. Featured maps / all maps. The vault can default to featured.
nine2
Councillor - Promotion

Has liked: 285 times
Been liked: 515 times
FAF User Name: Anihilnine

Postby HUSSAR » 01 May 2019, 17:45

biass wrote: ... what in gods name is a map balance calculator? sounds like some n*** tier tool that will instantly backfire once you parse a GPG map.

No, map balance calculator should not backfire and you would not want to play a map if you knew how some of them (e.g. Seton's Clutch) are unbalanced in a favor of one of teams. Using GPG as some kind of holly standard is total BS and not valid argument. I bet all my stocks that most map makers would not intentionally try to cheat if they had a tool for checking balance of their maps. Map balance calculator is tool for map makers to check if their maps are balanced and also for any player to check if it is worth joining a game that is hosted on balanced/unbalanced map. This new map tool will be integrated in map preview (lobby) as well as in-game map preview so players can quickly find the map sector(s) with the richest reclaim field. It will work with existing reclaim module but provide cumulative value of reclaim in each map sector and thus players will be able to make faster decision on which map sectors are more valuable. In other words, Biass will no longer gain ranking points by hosting games on unbalance maps. Just joking :)

FtXCommando wrote:...what you mean by “Map Balance Calculator.” I mean now that team matchmaker development is progressing there’s going to need to be some sort of collection of solid teamgame maps...

I don't know what's team matchmaker development is about but with map balance calculator you will be able to quickly check which maps in your lobby have highest balance (e.g. >95%) and also everyone can dive in more details on how much more reclaim top team has over bottom team as well as check if one team has mexes much closer to their starting positions than other team. In addition, map balance calculator will check reclaim in trees in case some map makers try to cheat by giving a lot of more trees/reclaim to one team. As you might know, existing reclaim module does not show reclaim in trees because of poor performance of rendering too many labels but map balance calculator can quickly calculate cumulative values of all trees in any given map sector. In other words, FAF community should be able to pick more balanced maps for map pools and tournaments based on hard statistics of maps rather than relaying on somewhat biased opinions on maps. Of course, we will have final say which maps are worth playing and map balance calculator will not block people playing on unbalanced maps.

Anihilnine wrote:...Can I be in on those betas? :) they sound good. What would you do as a Mod Councilor?...

I will think about adding you but unfortunately you forgot to say the magic word. As Mod Councilor, I would do most things that Morax already mentioned but focus on reviewing mods and finding cheating mods and coming up with ways of blocking some known exploits of UI mods in FAF code base. Also, finding and blacklisting mods with poor performance would be one of my goals. Finally, I was thinking about writing better documentation and best practices for modding the game because I have a lot of experience/knowledge that I would like to share with other modders.
FAF Feature - Unit Restriction Manager
HUSSAR

Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 59 times
FAF User Name: HUSSAR

Postby biass » 01 May 2019, 18:12

gpg maps

Please don't treat me like some kind of idiot, I am well aware of GPG maps imbalance and still consider them perfectly viable maps for competitive play, that was the entire point of what I said. Maps that would be rightfully considered fine now will be put under scrutiny and or removed with this tool, that's why it's Nazi tier. You were too busy censoring words to catch the point. And of course, higher barrier to entry. See the last post... again.

my rating

Please check my replay vault and then reconsider attempting to slander me by claiming I'm self serving, thanks.

mod councillor

Are you really serious in saying you want that? Considering other people actually applied for the full role, I hadn't considered an application from you to be legitimate.
Map thread: https://bit.ly/2PBsa5H

Petricpwnz wrote:biass on his campaign to cleanse and remake every single map of FAF because he is an untolerating reincarnation of mapping hitler
biass
Contributor

Has liked: 598 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: biass

Postby PhilipJFry » 01 May 2019, 18:19

biass i recommend you stop with that condescending tone

hussar pointed out that such a tool would be there to help ppl play on balanced maps and not be used to force ppl not to play certain maps

if you can't debate the points that people bring up then maybe don't post
cats>dogs
post logs
PhilipJFry
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 232 times
Been liked: 348 times
FAF User Name: PhilipJFry

Postby Morax » 01 May 2019, 18:51

An individual who is self-motivated will overcome hurdles and improve, not someone who sees hurdles as "I'm going to stop now because this makes me uncomfortable. "

I had to listen to speed2 and cookienoob about my intentions, telling me what I was doing is crap along thur way, and I did fine. Strangely I appreciated the friction as it motivated me to prove I can do something.

To Anihilnine, look at the vault, test some maps, and please explain why certain maps should not be hidden.
Maps and Modifications Councilor

M&M Discord Channel

Come join us and help create content with the artists of FAF.
Morax
Councillor - Maps and Mods

Has liked: 1167 times
FAF User Name: Morax

Postby HUSSAR » 01 May 2019, 21:10

biass wrote:... I am well aware of GPG maps imbalance and still consider them perfectly viable maps for competitive play, that was the entire point of what I said. Maps that would be rightfully considered fine now will be put under scrutiny and or removed with this tool...

Maps might be rightfully considered fine now only because most players do not know how unbalance they really are. Some maps will be removed but they will be replaced with updated version(s) where balance is more fair for all players. I don't understand why you are so oppose of having Map Balance Calculator in our disposal or having other players check maps before risk losing their ranking points on unbalance maps. I would imagine that as a map makers you want create and improve your maps so they are as close to perfection as possibile. Are you afraid that Map Balance Calculator will show that your maps are unbalanced? If so, you will have an opportunity to update them such they are more balanced. Nobody is perfect and the same applies to our creations. My own mods are not perfect but I take extra time to update them and I welcome any tools that can improve my work. Also, I always welcome constructive criticism or even requests for major changes from other people.

biass wrote: Are you really serious in saying you want that? Considering other people actually applied for the full role, I hadn't considered an application from you to be legitimate.

Yes, You should NOT consider any applications from me to be legitimate because I did NOT apply for any councilor positions yet. I said that I would have applied if there were 2 separate positions (Maps councilor and Mods councilor). This is not dodging responsibility but clearly defining responsibilities and work load. I still believe that having just one councilor for Maps and Mods is bad decision because it would result in lower quality of work since there are too many maps and mods for one person to handle them all. Also, I know that there are plans and development work has already been started for creating and distributing new unit skin/avatars for ACU and T4 units in the same as mods. So responsibility and work load will increase for the M&M councilor. However, I realize that majority might disagree with me on dividing Maps and Mods Councillor into 2 positions and I am alright with it. I will support the new councilor as much as I can by creating tools such as Map Balance Calculator.
FAF Feature - Unit Restriction Manager
HUSSAR

Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 59 times
FAF User Name: HUSSAR

Postby FtXCommando » 02 May 2019, 00:02

There’s a vast degree more that needs to go into picking good maps than simply viewing symmetry. While the calculator seems like a great tool I do not see it eliminating the need for analyzing maps, which will always be subjective to some degree and involve biased opinions.

Also yes, M&M is not getting split anytime soon. That’s a decision for the Councillor to make and the Council to see if it’s necessary.
Are you upset? Are you happy? Are you a FAF Player? Come to the PC Discord and share your thoughts and build the community!

https://discord.gg/Y2dGU8X
FtXCommando
Councillor - Players

Has liked: 234 times
Been liked: 583 times
FAF User Name: FtXCommando

Postby Morax » 02 May 2019, 00:43

I think at this point it's safe to say whoever wins should be happy to work with the team.

There's so many motivated people , councilor or not, good things will come of their collective effort.

M&M Discord Channel

Morax

Postby nine2 » 02 May 2019, 11:42

unfortunately you forgot to say the magic word

Unfortunately this is the thread for the Maps and Mods Councillor election. You can apply to be a Mod Princess in a different thread.
nine2
Councillor - Promotion

Has liked: 285 times
Been liked: 515 times
FAF User Name: Anihilnine

Postby Morax » 02 May 2019, 17:00

I want to elaborate on what I see as a "map should be hidden verse not" example. Here are the two maps I looked at: Example https://imgur.com/a/PWhnYcw

Here, this is a map I tested that has some gameplay issues that are almost negligible (terrain and path finding can be cumbersome no matter how well you map), but overall shows some real intent: some texturing, spawns work, maxes placed fine, etc.. It needs some work in my opinion, but is quite acceptable. Would I vote for it in the "curated vault?" Most likely not, yet, but looking forward to seeing this author progress.

Tauries by DesertWolf216:

Spoiler: show

Now, here's an example of a map that really should not be allowed and definitely removed rated gameplay:

Spoiler: show

There are no resources, no effort to create any terrain aside from some glitchy corners, and just overall seems like an accident upload.

Would I discourage the author from further work? No... I would be happy to help if it's needed.

Uploading a map is not really something that is a "misclick" as it requires a bit of a process to accomplish. I have not talked to this individual about the map and am hoping they can say why they did upload it in an unfinished state.

Is this too aggressive a map regulation? I certainly don't think so, but if you guys do, no way I'm taking this job...

Discuss please...?

M&M Discord Channel

Morax

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions