Maps and Mods Councillor Elections

Talk about general things concerning Forged Alliance Forever.

Moderators: FtXCommando, Ze Dogfather

Re: Maps and Mods Councillor Elections

Postby R_Charger » 28 Apr 2019, 20:48

People just need to adjust their play styles slightly. Someone who wants to be mod manager banging on about banning what little mods people now bother to share isn't exactly conducive to improving or creating new ones. For the lower rated players or lower apm players eco manager is far more of advantage (and I don't think that should be banned either even if it were possible). You can still be aggressive with your ACU, just not so much when you don't have gun, overcharge or a decent army close by. This was the case before anyhow.
R_Charger

Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 14 times
FAF User Name: Reckless_Charger

Postby FtXCommando » 28 Apr 2019, 21:45

Ecomanager isn’t going to help people much off of sentons and that’s really only if you’re playing high tier sentons already.

I’d ban any “ui” mod that does inputs for the player (turning radar off if you’re near e stalls, turning fabs off, doing “manual” reclaim commands, etc) personally. Or rather not ban in the sense they can’t be used at all but rather ban them in any competitive atmosphere which I guess for FAF would consist of ladder/tournaments.

If these mods are conductive to good gameplay and are viewed as a net benefit, they can be integrated within the client. Otherwise they provide an unfair competitive advantage.
Are you upset? Are you happy? Are you a FAF Player? Come to the PC Discord and share your thoughts and build the community!

https://discord.gg/Y2dGU8X
FtXCommando
Councillor - Players

Has liked: 234 times
Been liked: 583 times
FAF User Name: FtXCommando

Postby Rowey » 28 Apr 2019, 22:31

Question to M&M Applicants.

With all the maps in the vault with scrips like zone control and the adaptive maps how would you go about making sure that certain one’s line zone control are ranked compared to the adaptive maps. Zone control in my point of view is a sim mod backed in to the map abut is still raked it changes how the core gameplay of the game where as adaptive maps are just additions to a map to make that game more interesting e.g. adding more reclama , civi bases, mex’s and hydro’s.
How you you go about vetting theses maps and unranking ones if they are no the Core way the game is supposed to be play
Rowey
Contributor

Has liked: 93 times
Been liked: 71 times
FAF User Name: Rowey

Postby nine2 » 28 Apr 2019, 22:47

Balance means much more than just faction vs faction.

The balance of ACU vs units has been changed. The old acu/unit balance was the best part of supcom
nine2
Councillor - Promotion

Has liked: 285 times
Been liked: 515 times
FAF User Name: Anihilnine

Postby biass » 29 Apr 2019, 06:20

Anihilnine wrote:You guys talk as if there is this massive mod scene.

It should be considered the duty of the councillors to make the scene bigger, and thus a small scene should be attributed to poor work from the councillor.

This thread is for applicants and questions directed at them, take the useless back and forth to another thread.
Map thread: https://bit.ly/2PBsa5H

Petricpwnz wrote:biass on his campaign to cleanse and remake every single map of FAF because he is an untolerating reincarnation of mapping hitler
biass
Contributor

Has liked: 598 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: biass

Postby Darkym » 29 Apr 2019, 09:51

My general/Tl;dr response to this thread: As I mentioned in my initial application post, I think lobbies should show what mods people are using, thus allowing the players to decide for themselves if they want to let ‘shitonadick69’ play with ‘epic UI mod 123’ or not. And this would also let players get to know more mods quicker, thus decreasing the time lag it takes for the entire community to learn about a specific mod.

Rowey wrote:Question to M&M Applicants.

With all the maps in the vault with scrips like zone control and the adaptive maps how would you go about making sure that certain one’s line zone control are ranked compared to the adaptive maps. Zone control in my point of view is a sim mod backed in to the map abut is still raked it changes how the core gameplay of the game where as adaptive maps are just additions to a map to make that game more interesting e.g. adding more reclama , civi bases, mex’s and hydro’s.
How you you go about vetting theses maps and unranking ones if they are no the Core way the game is supposed to be play

I agree. Zone control is a different game mode, and shouldn’t be ranked with global and adaptive maps still require the same general skills/thought process as FAF, just on a different scale (which can be said of pretty much any map if you think about it).

Cuddles wrote:I feel this is good discussions that will give the candidates a indication of what they are up against.

Phillip and Morax are both raising good topics.

Should quality of life improvements actively be perused/integrated, supreme scoreboard is a good example?

Is something like target priorities QoL or game changing? How would you do this test?

Writing this, i'm not even sure it is the M&M's problem alone. It's probably a cross functional thing with the PC and perhaps balance.

My answer would be: eh? Modders should work on what they enjoy working on, and if they enjoy contributing to the community by giving players a smoother experience then go for it! if they enjoy seeing bigger and bigger robots spank each other, then go for it! I don’t think one type of mod should be ‘pursued’ over the other. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with mods changing the game, as long as they are not UI mods… That's why tbh I don’t like snipe mode too much, because it forces you to play quite differently. If FAF was water, UI mods should be fizzy water, and things like target priorities are soda water. You can drink fizzy water instead of water without any serious consequences (usually) but if you replace water with soda, well you get fucked. If you don’t agree with my analogy that what snipe mode is to FAF is what soda is to water; consider all the talks about balance going on because of snipe mode, kind of like the insulin you’d need after only drinking soda. To test if something is truly becoming game changing, ideal would be track player win/lose ratio and see if theres a change after the mod when playing against people without the mod, but the logistics of that is something I wouldn't want to speculate about until I know exactly what we've got/our tools.

Darkym wrote:Darkym

I think the Maps and Mods councilor should keep faf fresh without changing it.

But then again, that's just MY preference, and I recognize/respect why not everyone thinks that way. Hence me encouraging the system where we can see each other’s mod and let fafers go on a case by case basis for themeselves.

Anihilnine wrote:You guys talk as if there is this massive mod scene.

I think you’re confusing massive with serious :^)
Darkym
Crusader

Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 10 times
FAF User Name: Darkym

Postby Morax » 29 Apr 2019, 17:37

Forgive me if I'm missing the thread, but is there a list of expected responsibilities for the position? I would reference the old posting, but I'm hoping after Silent's tenure that they have been reviewed and updated.

I found myself asking more questions then getting answers when I started to write my application this weekend...
Maps and Modifications Councilor

M&M Discord Channel

Come join us and help create content with the artists of FAF.
Morax
Councillor - Maps and Mods

Has liked: 1167 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: Morax

Postby speed2 » 29 Apr 2019, 19:23

Darkym wrote:My general/Tl;dr response to this thread: As I mentioned in my initial application post, I think lobbies should show what mods people are using, thus allowing the players to decide for themselves if they want to let ‘shitonadick69’ play with ‘epic UI mod 123’ or not. And this would also let players get to know more mods quicker, thus decreasing the time lag it takes for the entire community to learn about a specific mod.

I think you have a lot of cathing up to do...

This topic is showing up like every year, so I guess I can say again if I wanted to hide my "epic UI mod 123" it would take me couple of minutes and no one would ever know.
speed2
Contributor

Has liked: 636 times
Been liked: 1119 times
FAF User Name: speed2

Postby FtXCommando » 29 Apr 2019, 20:13

Morax wrote:Forgive me if I'm missing the thread, but is there a list of expected responsibilities for the position? I would reference the old posting, but I'm hoping after Silent's tenure that they have been reviewed and updated.

I found myself asking more questions then getting answers when I started to write my application this weekend...

There never was any responsibility written down other than the typical council pledge and the fact they’re responsible for map/mod community interests and the vault.
Are you upset? Are you happy? Are you a FAF Player? Come to the PC Discord and share your thoughts and build the community!

https://discord.gg/Y2dGU8X
FtXCommando
Councillor - Players

Has liked: 234 times
Been liked: 583 times
FAF User Name: FtXCommando

Postby Cuddles » 29 Apr 2019, 20:26

Well at this point Darkym will win by default. Unless Morax figures out what he is supposed to do.
Turinturambar defended very valiantly
Cuddles
Contributor

Has liked: 132 times
Been liked: 118 times
FAF User Name: Scoot

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions