Maps and Mods Councillor Elections

Talk about general things concerning Forged Alliance Forever.

Moderators: FtXCommando, Ze Dogfather

Re: Maps and Mods Councillor Elections

Postby Cuddles » 27 Apr 2019, 19:32

I feel this is good discussions that will give the candidates a indication of what they are up against.

Phillip and Morax are both raising good topics.

Should quality of life improvements actively be perused/integrated, supreme scoreboard is a good example?

Is something like target priorities QoL or game changing? How would you do this test?

Writing this, i'm not even sure it is the M&M's problem alone. It's probably a cross functional thing with the PC and perhaps balance.
Turinturambar defended very valiantly
Cuddles
Contributor

Has liked: 132 times
Been liked: 118 times
FAF User Name: Scoot

Postby nine2 » 28 Apr 2019, 17:24

Target priorities mod is a game balance decision. The map and mod guy shouldn't get jurisdiction on this.
nine2
Councillor - Promotion

Has liked: 285 times
Been liked: 515 times
FAF User Name: Anihilnine

Postby Syndicus » 28 Apr 2019, 17:40

If a mod is that powerful it should be added to the actual game instead of being a downloadable. Absolutely ridiculous unfair advantage to those that do not have it.
Syndicus

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1 time
FAF User Name: Syndicus

Postby Morax » 28 Apr 2019, 17:50

Anihilnine wrote:Target priorities mod is a game balance decision. The map and mod guy shouldn't get jurisdiction on this.

It should be a community decision. Supported or not, it's a mod that allows ease of function rather units and costs. I don't see how the balance team alone decides this.

How is it balance if all factions, players, etc get it?
Maps and Modifications Councilor

M&M Discord Channel

Come join us and help create content with the artists of FAF.
Morax
Councillor - Maps and Mods

Has liked: 1167 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: Morax

Postby PhilipJFry » 28 Apr 2019, 17:52

Syndicus wrote:If a mod is that powerful it should be added to the actual game instead of being a downloadable. Absolutely ridiculous unfair advantage to those that do not have it.

maybe you should check out the mod and what it does before calling it ridiculous

the target priority feature (snipemode) is available to everyone - strogos target advanced target priority mod which builds on top of this feature may allow you for even more different target priority lists but calling it an unfair advantage is a bit of a stretch

imo it's a quality of life feature but nothing that makes the difference between winning or losing if you have the mod but your enemy does not

@morax it was introduced by the game development team - but it is a balance decision in a sense that it affects how different units interact with each other (doesn't matter what faction)
i expect the feature to be either removed or at least toned down in the next balance patch due to the heavy impact it has on ACUs
cats>dogs
post logs
PhilipJFry
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 232 times
Been liked: 348 times
FAF User Name: PhilipJFry

Postby Morax » 28 Apr 2019, 17:56

PhilipJFry wrote:i expect the feature to be either removed or at least toned down in the next balance patch due to the heavy impact it has on ACUs

Good to know. This is why I was against it as it made it too easy to do things that you could previously not accomplish. I don't think anyone wants an ACU to be more "snipeable" than is.
Maps and Modifications Councilor

M&M Discord Channel

Come join us and help create content with the artists of FAF.
Morax
Councillor - Maps and Mods

Has liked: 1167 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: Morax

Postby Syndicus » 28 Apr 2019, 18:04

PhilipJFry wrote:
Syndicus wrote:If a mod is that powerful it should be added to the actual game instead of being a downloadable. Absolutely ridiculous unfair advantage to those that do not have it.

maybe you should check out the mod and what it does before calling it ridiculous

the target priority feature (snipemode) is available to everyone - strogos target advanced target priority mod which builds on top of this feature may allow you for even more different target priority lists but calling it an unfair advantage is a bit of a stretch

imo it's a quality of life feature but nothing that makes the difference between winning or losing if you have the mod but your enemy does not

@morax it was introduced by the game development team - but it is a balance decision in a sense that it affects how different units interact with each other (doesn't matter what faction)
i expect the feature to be either removed or at least toned down in the next balance patch due to the heavy impact it has on ACUs

The game should at least have 3 states hardcoded. Units, ACU, and no selection. Currently it is just snipe mode or nothing giving people with that mod a huge advantage in easily killing off your army in 1vs1 while your army waste dps on commander hp. It is not just a quality of life improvement, it is actually game changing and easily decides 1vs1 games.

I would give someone at minimum a 30 percent boost to their short term winrate with the mod that allows you to target units installed.
Syndicus

Postby ____ » 28 Apr 2019, 18:07

So, is this more going into the direction of it being completely removed or just being toned down in the sense that the ability to use snipe mode on ACUs will be removed? I think removing it completely is an absolutely terrible idea and from what I have seen a lot of players would miss the other functions it gives.

I see no problem with the mod except that it clearly should be implemented and that using snipe mode on ACUs is overpowered.
____

Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 24 times

Postby Syndicus » 28 Apr 2019, 18:14

QuestionMarkNoob wrote:So, is this more going into the direction of it being completely removed or just being toned down in the sense that the ability to use snipe mode on ACUs will be removed? I think removing it completely is an absolutely terrible idea and from what I have seen a lot of players would miss the other functions it gives.

I see no problem with the mod except that it clearly should be implemented and that using snipe mode on ACUs is overpowered.

How can it be overpowered if both sides have it? Is there a faction without snipe mode?

It is not op but a different playstyle where you have to play safer with your commander. Not having a unit priority command while the enemy does is however extremely OP. I almost feel like I am cheating using it against opponent without the mod.
Syndicus

Postby ____ » 28 Apr 2019, 19:29

Syndicus wrote:How can it be overpowered if both sides have it? Is there a faction without snipe mode?

It is not op but a different playstyle where you have to play safer with your commander. Not having a unit priority command while the enemy does is however extremely OP. I almost feel like I am cheating using it against opponent without the mod.

Balance isn’t a concept which is merely reduced to unit vs unit and faction vs faction balance. The balance of the major playstyles and the gameplay has to be considered as well, which is why your analogy doesn’t work.

An example: If turtling was exceptionally strong and everyone would turtle, we would have a problem as well, and simply stating “but everyone can turtle” won’t change that, because the very gameplay and the playstyles themselves became unbalanced towards each other.

Snipemode severely impacts aggressive ACU play, making it a less attractive option. At this point I would say that it is nerfed too much, others would argue that it is mostly fine because counter snipemode exists as well. That is up to your judgement.
____

Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 24 times

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions