Maps and Mods Councillor Elections

Talk about general things concerning Forged Alliance Forever.

Moderators: FtXCommando, Ze Dogfather

Re: Maps and Mods Councillor Elections

Postby Darkym » 27 Apr 2019, 07:17

Morax wrote:The BlackOps mod is a perfect example of this issue, Darkym. It's a showing of how people really need to check and ensure things are used with permission rather than assuming.

It's common sense to me, and in general good manners, to ask before using anything in life, so why is this different?

I agree with you, but not because its 'common sense' but rather because of the legal implications. I agree with you that you should ask before using something (generally speaking), but my suggestions tried to focus on the case of what happens when the original maker has gone AWOL/stopped caring about their project. Note, I said that for mods in active development, the modder should be the one to hold complete control over who gets to work with it. And as for the black ops case, I'm sorry but I am not sure what you are referring to control-f-ing black in several pages of the modding forum didn't yield good results either. (don't get me wrong, I know about the black ops mod, just not the case you're referring to).
Darkym
Crusader

Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 10 times
FAF User Name: Darkym

Postby Little Miss Murder » 27 Apr 2019, 12:43

#GIEBMASSE4PC
Little Miss Murder

Has liked: 132 times
Been liked: 29 times
FAF User Name: Little Miss Murder

Postby nine2 » 27 Apr 2019, 13:25

You guys talk as if there is this massive mod scene.
nine2
Councillor - Promotion

Has liked: 285 times
Been liked: 515 times
FAF User Name: Anihilnine

Postby Morax » 27 Apr 2019, 15:49

It's certainly not as big as mapping, but there are just as many and more issues with it. For example, the "target priorities" and more specific "snipe mode" has affected everyone who plays verse a new map being uploaded.

There's no reason to disregard it. Equilibrium is a mod, and like it or not, has an effect on the main game as several updates were taken directly from its code.

Hussar was probably the best person I introduced to the m&m server as he's got a great attitude and almost everyone prefers his UI mod "Supreme Scoreboard" over the stock option.

Not many modders exist within so it's ever more important to find resources and advisors. I imagine since I'm not well versed in coding the game - spare some lessons from icedreamer and speed2 - it will be critical to set up a group of people much like FtXCommando did for the ladder team.

I've always wanted to create some funky mods for fun, so under some advising - and should I get elected - this would be a great addition to my game knowledge.
Maps and Modifications Councilor

M&M Discord Channel

Come join us and help create content with the artists of FAF.
Morax
Councillor - Maps and Mods

Has liked: 1167 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: Morax

Postby nine2 » 27 Apr 2019, 16:25

Most of the development is not in mods but the core game. Even the target priorities you mention is really core game change. The scoreboard is nice but come on its old news at this point. That was really cool how you pointed out that you were the one who introduced hussar to the m&m server as if that somehow translates to you being good.

I see basically no mod Dev. There is an ai project and an RPG project. Thats unlikely to change. It's unlikely to need a Councilor any time soon.
nine2
Councillor - Promotion

Has liked: 285 times
Been liked: 515 times
FAF User Name: Anihilnine

Postby PhilipJFry » 27 Apr 2019, 16:30

most modders get discouraged from trying to do anything cause everytime they do they get shouted down by nay sayers who don't want anything to change

i'd like to get a few nice features/improvements from eq but ppl trash on it indiscriminately all the time so i don't assume that Exotic will help us in the future
cats>dogs
post logs
PhilipJFry
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 232 times
Been liked: 348 times
FAF User Name: PhilipJFry

Postby Morax » 27 Apr 2019, 16:40

How is assisting the M&M councilor and others who didn't know who to source for good information not a good thing? It's old news for you, but not for others. Keep in mind people do come in, new, or learn new things here. Don't disregard old information as something that has no value to current issues.

Philip, what makes it difficult for people to accept anything from EQ is that the main idea is that it is a balance update which is widely disliked. If Exotic was willing to compromise and listen to use feedback then people would actually be more accepting.

What specific features and improvements are you most interested to see implemented?
Maps and Modifications Councilor

M&M Discord Channel

Come join us and help create content with the artists of FAF.
Morax
Councillor - Maps and Mods

Has liked: 1167 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: Morax

Postby PhilipJFry » 27 Apr 2019, 16:41

i'm not talking about balance related stuff
first thing that would come to my mind is a button to select drones from kennels
cats>dogs
post logs
PhilipJFry
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 232 times
Been liked: 348 times
FAF User Name: PhilipJFry

Postby Farmsletje » 27 Apr 2019, 19:16

It would be nice if the featured modlist would be updated to some more relevant mods. For example something like the rpg mod would fit there way more than the diamond mod does
FtXCommando wrote:
need to give him some time to blossom into an aids flower
Farmsletje
Contributor

Has liked: 383 times
Been liked: 452 times
FAF User Name: Farmsletje

Postby keyser » 27 Apr 2019, 19:21

that's already planned, it got accepted in contributor conference. Just need franck to set it up on FAF github
Zockyzock:
VoR is the clan of upcoming top players now
keyser
Councillor - Game

Has liked: 424 times
Been liked: 540 times
FAF User Name: keyser

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions