Maps and Mods Councillor Elections

Talk about general things concerning Forged Alliance Forever.

Moderators: FtXCommando, Ze Dogfather

Re: Maps and Mods Councillor Elections

Postby nine2 » 04 May 2019, 01:57

I mean you don't like the Canis variation you described where it was flatter. You want to remove a map because you disagree with it.
nine2
Councillor - Promotion

Has liked: 285 times
Been liked: 515 times
FAF User Name: Anihilnine

Postby Morax » 04 May 2019, 03:40

Anihilnine wrote:I mean you don't like the Canis variation you described where it was flatter. You want to remove a map because you disagree with it.

You need to load this map up and look at the other versions of Canis to see my reasoning. Have you played this map by LCR and the other versions to know the differences? There is more than the "flatter" alteration.
Maps and Modifications Councilor

M&M Discord Channel

Come join us and help create content with the artists of FAF.
Morax
Councillor - Maps and Mods

Has liked: 1167 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: Morax

Postby nine2 » 04 May 2019, 06:49

no i have not. ok sure whatever you get the point right? i think we shouldnt hide maps much. im sure you get it and we dont need to talk about it in detail, lets forget it.
nine2
Councillor - Promotion

Has liked: 285 times
Been liked: 515 times
FAF User Name: Anihilnine

Postby Morax » 04 May 2019, 14:19

Well, this thread is important to convey thoughts and answer questions so people know the person they vote for in the election...

Not many maps will be hidden, honestly. The java client platform is already capable of a "curated vault" as we have been desiring for years.

If you look at the vault page you get popular, new, ladder, owned (maps you uploaded) so "FaF Staff Favorites" or something like that will exist.

With that, who cares what is in the "new" section so long as it functions?

I don't blame you for being worried. If I had total choice, I would eradicate astro from the vault, but it's something people enjoy and under a councilor position that's important to realize.

Hope that puts you at ease, Anihilnine.

M&M Discord Channel

Morax

Postby Gorton » 07 May 2019, 15:12

Hey all;

If anyone has anything else to say or anyone else wishes to make an application, do so now. This thread will be closed on the 8th and a vote will begin.
"who is this guy, he didnt play gpg or what?" - RA_ZLO

*FAF Moderator*
Gorton
Councillor - Moderation

Has liked: 1067 times
Been liked: 455 times
FAF User Name: Gorton

Postby Gorton » 08 May 2019, 18:42

EDITED Okay, so from the thread it's a three way shot between Hussar, Morax and Darkym.

Deadline for applications will be 11pm GMT+1/ 23:00 GMT+1 (so five hours, 20 minutes from now)

*FAF Moderator*
Gorton
Councillor - Moderation

Postby HUSSAR » 08 May 2019, 22:23

After a few hours of thinking, I have decided to run for Maps and Mods Councilor after all and here is my official application for this role.

My FAF/Slack username: Hussar

I have 15+ years of experience in programming and I know C#, VB, JavaScript, and Lua languages. I have been playing and moding SupCom since I got it in 2007 and I officially joined FAF in 2015. Since than I contributed many fixes and new features such as rewriting UI for Units Restriction as well as Key Mapping window. Also, you probably using my mod called Supreme Score Board. I currently working updating UI that will display Accurate Units Stats in the game as well as in tooltips of Units Restriction window.

When elected as Maps and Mods Councilor, I will focus on improving quality of maps and mods by promoting and more importantly develop new tools and pull requests to FAF code base that will enable the following new features:

1. Open-Source Mods
I will create a new GitHub repository where we can collaborate on UI and Game/Sim mods. This repo will serve as a place where we can create, update, and fix mods. Authors of existing mods will be able to add their mods to the repo when they accept a license granting full rights to FAF origination with attributions to original author(s). This repo will provide a few benefits:
- one place to update/improve mods
- discover new mods
- promote good/useful mods
- create new mods using best practices and re-using code from other mods
All mods in this repo will go through verification process that will check for cheating mods and slow performance of mods. Upon passing this verification, mods will gain verified/official tag which will be displayed in Mod Manager and sort them with higher priority in the list of mods.

2. Open-Source Maps
Similar to Open-Source Mods, I will create a new GitHub repository (under FAF organization) where we can collaborate on maps. This repo will serve as a place where we can create, update, and fix maps. Authors of existing maps will be able to add their maps to the repo when they accept a license granting full rights to FAF origination with attributions to original author(s). The main purpose will be to limited number of similar maps that are uploaded to map vault. All maps in this repo, will gain official FAF tag that will be displayed in next to a map name in Lobby map list panel. Also, these maps will always be displayed in top and above all other maps thus further promoting our maps and engorging map makers to add their maps to FAF repo. All official FAF maps will need to meet some requirements such as:
- No unevenly distributed Reclaim/Mexes/Hydro between players/teams/sides
- No landscape that create huge path finding issues
- No cheating scenario code that favors one team over other
- No ugly looking maps or unfinished maps
- and more requirements to be determined later

3. Maps Verification Process
I will push for map verification process to try hide duplicated or unbalanced maps in Map Vault. To automate this, I will finish implementing my Map Balance Calculator that will check all maps for the following issue:
- Reclaim unevenly distributed between players/teams/sides
- Mexes unevenly distributed between players/teams/sides
- Hydro unevenly distributed between players/teams/sides
Also, I will integrate this Map Balance Calculator in existing FAF lobby so players can see whether maps are balanced and thus prevent host players from wining just by playing on unbalanced maps.

4. Mods Verification Process
I will try to close loop holes in FAF code base that allow players to cheat by using UI mods that:
- Micro manage movement of their units
- Queue hundreds of commands to engineers with single click/shortcut (e.g. area reclaim)
Also, I will create a system for players to vote on best/useful mods and also I will work with other developers to compile a list of most played mods. This should allow players to quickly discover new mods.

That's a lot and I will reach out to anyone in our FAF community to help with implementing on this ideas.
FAF Feature - Unit Restriction Manager
HUSSAR

Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 59 times
FAF User Name: HUSSAR

Postby Morax » 08 May 2019, 23:37

HUSSAR wrote:I will try to close loop holes in FAF code base that allow players to cheat by using UI mods that:
- Micro manage movement of their units
- Queue hundreds of commands to engineers with single click/shortcut (e.g. area reclaim)
Also, I will create a system for players to vote on best/useful mods and also I will work with other developers to compile a list of most played mods. This should allow players to quickly discover new mods.

You have my vote.

M&M Discord Channel

Morax

Postby Gorton » 09 May 2019, 00:04

Ok, there will be no more applications now! The thread will remain open for discussion, however.
Vote will go live soon.

https://voting.faforever.com/vote

Vote is live

*FAF Moderator*
Gorton
Councillor - Moderation

Postby speed2 » 09 May 2019, 07:13

Im not so sure a single github repo is the best place for all the maps. It will get insanely huge quite fast.
speed2
Contributor

Has liked: 636 times
Been liked: 1119 times
FAF User Name: speed2

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions