Maps and Mods Councillor Elections

Talk about general things concerning Forged Alliance Forever.

Moderators: FtXCommando, Ze Dogfather

Maps and Mods Councillor Elections

Postby FtXCommando » 07 Apr 2019, 09:13

Please read /viewtopic.php?f=2&t=17392 before posting in this thread.

Hey everyone,

This thread will serve as the place for candidates to present themselves and explain why they should have the position. It also serves as the place for where potential voters can ask questions about candidates and inquire about platforms. As you all should now be aware if you read the initial thread, SilentWarrior is resigning from the position and so there will be no one running for reelection. This means it is imperative that someone is found to fill the position and continue the responsibilities of the position.

Applications will be open until the beginning of the voting period next month. At that point, this thread will be closed.

So, if you wish to apply, please state (at a minimum) the following information below in a forum post:

- Your FAF Username
- Your conception of the role of Maps and Mods Councillor
- What you plan on doing as Maps and Mods Councillor
- Any skills/experience that prove you are capable for the role
- A pledge (can be an individual one or just the general Maps and Mods Councillor one)

Councillors may come in and ask their own individual questions about candidates. Anything that officially comes from the Council as a whole will either be posted by me in this thread and clearly mentioned as such or by Sheeo.

Good luck to all that apply.

https://voting.faforever.com/vote

Vote is live
Are you upset? Are you happy? Are you a FAF Player? Come to the PC Discord and share your thoughts and build the community!

https://discord.gg/Y2dGU8X
FtXCommando
Councillor - Players

Has liked: 234 times
Been liked: 583 times
FAF User Name: FtXCommando

Re: Maps and Mods Councillor Elections

Postby Darkym » 22 Apr 2019, 18:12

Darkym

I think the Maps and Mods councilor should keep faf fresh without changing it. I want to work together with creative intellectuals to spice up the game without taking away things the people love.

Sounds great? How then...

I believe in crowdfunding to getting things done here. I've had this idea where I suggest an idea (or one gets elected by the highly democratic people of faf) and we crowdfund for someone to make it using a bounty like system. For example:
I had this idea to make tournaments for map makers. At the end of each month the community would pool together some money, which would incentivise map makers to create *new maps*. Then they would submit/advertise their *new map* for said month and people would play around with them and vote for the ones they liked the most, leading to cash prizes for the mappers and cool new content. Then repeat ~

UI mods are a big thing currently, that's why I hope to introduce a system where people can see what mods others are playing against so that 1) people can learn about the existence of these epic mods without having to watch farmsletje's epic streams and let them spread like wildfire 2) to allow players to regulate their own lobbies instead of having snarky forum users determine what everyone else should do.

I've got solid people skills and am not one to get easily demotivated though that's not to say I get so stubborn that I don't consider other people's opinions. But other than that, I'm not a veteran, I know as much python as the average faf gamer knows sex and don't know how to make maps either. I do enjoy autistically fine tuning stuff or getting into nitpicks. But yeah, I don't really have a lot more than just my d*** in my hand, but I guess I'm also honest eh? :)

Lastly I've heard a lot of discontent where faf is heading, but unless I'm missing something I'm the first applicant for this role...please apply if you've got ideas on how to make faf better!

Anyway again for full disclosure, I want faf to be a healthy game because I enjoy playing it, but I'm not super experienced with the mods/mapping scene, that's not to say I'm not willing to learn/without ideas and willing contribute though.
Darkym
Crusader

Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 10 times
FAF User Name: Darkym

Postby Rowey » 22 Apr 2019, 23:33

Darkym wrote:I had this idea to make tournaments for map makers. At the end of each month the community would pool together some money, which would incentivise map makers to create *new maps*. Then they would submit/advertise their *new map* for said month and people would play around with them and vote for the ones they liked the most, leading to cash prizes for the mappers and cool new content. Then repeat ~

I would be Welocm to this idear and Would Spuly funds to a Prize Pool as im fining it hard to fine new but also good new maps for toruneys :)
Rowey
Contributor

Has liked: 93 times
Been liked: 71 times
FAF User Name: Rowey

Postby Endranii » 23 Apr 2019, 01:55

Please just get one of those: ProWritingAid, Ginger or grammarly. I know it's hard to not make any mistakes at all when writing and I know that you have the papers but considering the fact that there is so much software that can help you cope with your circumstances there is no effin reason to not start using those software or just learn the effin grammar already.
Endranii

Has liked: 83 times
Been liked: 50 times
FAF User Name: Empty_Spot

Postby Morax » 23 Apr 2019, 17:47

I will be drafting an application this week.
Maps and Modifications Councilor

M&M Discord Channel

Come join us and help create content with the artists of FAF.
Morax
Councillor - Maps and Mods

Has liked: 1167 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: Morax

Postby biass » 23 Apr 2019, 19:24

Darkym wrote:I had this idea to make tournaments for map makers.

You clearly are on the right track but i feel somewhat obligated to add this isn't new:

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=16265&p=164361&hilit=mapping#p164345
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=16451&hilit=mapping#p165989

Maybe you - and other applicants - can answer these questions for us?

- How do you feel about handling the content rights of users? What happens when something is plagiarised, etc?
- How do you feel about maps that may be considered "degenerate" by more competitive players? should thermo, astro be touched?

feel free to ask me if you have any questions about the role - i was almost kinda a stand-in for the last guy.
Map thread: https://bit.ly/2PBsa5H

Petricpwnz wrote:biass on his campaign to cleanse and remake every single map of FAF because he is an untolerating reincarnation of mapping hitler
biass
Contributor

Has liked: 598 times
FAF User Name: biass

Postby Darkym » 24 Apr 2019, 14:03

biass wrote:
Darkym wrote:I had this idea to make tournaments for map makers.

You clearly are on the right track but i feel somewhat obligated to add this isn't new:

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=16265&p=164361&hilit=mapping#p164345
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=16451&hilit=mapping#p165989

Maybe you - and other applicants - can answer these questions for us?

- How do you feel about handling the content rights of users? What happens when something is plagiarised, etc?
- How do you feel about maps that may be considered "degenerate" by more competitive players? should thermo, astro be touched?

feel free to ask me if you have any questions about the role - i was almost kinda a stand-in for the last guy.

Great minds think alike eh? :p

How do you feel about handling the content rights of users? What happens when something is plagerised, etc?

The goal is to get as much new quality content as possible. From there it follows that we can’t have creators being ripped off left right and centre since that would demotivate most people. But at the same time we have got to be careful to not create a ridiculously high barrier of entry, and not inhibit the recycling of previous efforts (for obvious reasons). For general map making (i.e. making maps for the sake of it), policing plagiarism would require quite a bit of time and effort. The consequences of such efforts would lead to: annoyed map makers who just wanted to contribute to the community, lower quality content since past creations would be difficult (or maybe even illegal) to access and the only thing ‘gained’ would be seeing the ‘original’ map makers name on the map download page. To put it in one sentence: I do not think plagerism is a grand issue for your everyday map making and regulating it would (in my mind) give way too few positives for the negatives it comes with. Plagerism for mapping tournaments is quite the different story. For tournaments map makers should actively reference any maps they took things from, this would then be reflected on their score for originality. Hence adding an incentive to make new things without making it impossible to recycle great works from before.

Astro-crator > Setons (though its not like there’s a big difference)
Darkym
Crusader

Postby Darkym » 24 Apr 2019, 14:07

Darkym wrote:
Great minds think alike eh? :p

How do you feel about handling the content rights of users? What happens when something is plagerised, etc?

The goal is to get as much new quality content as possible. From there it follows that we can’t have creators being ripped off left right and centre since that would demotivate most people. But at the same time we have got to be careful to not create a ridiculously high barrier of entry, and not inhibit the recycling of previous efforts (for obvious reasons). For general map making (i.e. making maps for the sake of it), policing plagiarism would require quite a bit of time and effort. The consequences of such efforts would lead to: annoyed map makers who just wanted to contribute to the community, lower quality content since past creations would be difficult (or maybe even illegal) to access and the only thing ‘gained’ would be seeing the ‘original’ map makers name on the map download page. To put it in one sentence: I do not think plagerism is a grand issue for your everyday map making and regulating it would (in my mind) give way too few positives for the negatives it comes with. Plagerism for mapping tournaments is quite the different story. For tournaments map makers should actively reference any maps they took things from, this would then be reflected on their score for originality. Hence adding an incentive to make new things without making it impossible to recycle great works from before.

Astro-crator > Setons (though its not like there’s a big difference)

Degeneracy is present everywhere, but that's not really a bad thing either (e.g. anime). Maps like astro-crator have their place in faf just like setons does. Encouraging map makers to make more stuff like astro-crator is kind of pointless because they are so very similar, but then again that’s just a question of taste. Hence why I think the mapping competition should be community run/judged. (Though personally I don’t like maps like astro-crator as much and maybe played ±2 of them).

biass wrote:

Thanks a bunch for the questions/offer ~ how come you're not running?
Darkym
Crusader

Postby biass » 24 Apr 2019, 17:02

I think you have answered these questions very well, I can offer my approval - if that means anything.

Darkym wrote:Thanks a bunch for the questions/offer ~ how come you're not running?

I've moved on from FAF, im sure you can find my reasoning lying around somewhere if you felt like looking.
Map thread: https://bit.ly/2PBsa5H

Petricpwnz wrote:biass on his campaign to cleanse and remake every single map of FAF because he is an untolerating reincarnation of mapping hitler
biass
Contributor

Has liked: 598 times
FAF User Name: biass

Postby Darkym » 24 Apr 2019, 17:48

biass wrote:I think you have answered these questions very well, I can offer my approval - if that means anything.

Darkym wrote:Thanks a bunch for the questions/offer ~ how come you're not running?

I've moved on from FAF, im sure you can find my reasoning lying around somewhere if you felt like looking.

Thanks! :) Of course it means a lot. And I did read your leaving form, but to me it seems like you're still dying to contribute somewhere inside, and you're just holding back because of a personal grudge (ironically kind of like Zep). Obviously do what makes you feel happy, but don't let grudges get in the way of making you happy :^) (especially if it would make for a better community). :p
Darkym
Crusader

Next

Return to General Discussions