Player Councillor Elections

Talk about general things concerning Forged Alliance Forever.

Moderators: FtXCommando, Ze Dogfather

Re: Player Councillor Elections

Postby Gorton » 07 May 2019, 15:13

Hey all;

If anyone has anything else to say or anyone else wishes to make an application, do so now. This thread will be closed on the 8th and a vote will begin.
"who is this guy, he didnt play gpg or what?" - RA_ZLO

*FAF Moderator*
Gorton
Councillor - Moderation

Has liked: 1067 times
Been liked: 455 times
FAF User Name: Gorton

Postby UnorthodoxBox » 07 May 2019, 21:24

Hello, I am UnorthodoxBox and I am applying to become the new Player Councilor.

First off, I believe the player councilor holds a unique position that allows him or her to convey the ideas and concerns of the player base to some of the other councilors that may not interact with the community as much. The player councilor in essence gives a voice to those who feel they cannot be heard. This provides important feedback that is much needed to ensure a satisfied and content player base.

As Player Councilor, my primary concern would be to do my best to understand and work out issues the community may have with the current client, and how FAF is run. I will be the person that deals with all the complaints and suggestions that moderators right now seem to be taking the brunt of. When I feel I am accomplishing that task to a satisfactory degree, I will secondly focus on ladder, as it seems the Player Councilor is also imbued with that role. I have some ideas of my own for ladder, such as curating the maps more strictly, and also reducing the size of the map pool, but these goals of mine, of course, can also be influenced by the people who play ladder frequently, and what they are looking for in their ladder experience.

I have a hefty amount of experience with conflict resolution in my day to day life being the voice of reason in multiple friend groups, as well as leading multiple clubs previously. I also have newfound and continuing experience with ladder as I play more and more, experiencing the same issues I hear many bring up. I believe that I can efficiently and effectively channel the concerns many players have directly to the people who need to hear them. I also have an understanding of the community and the ladder system that will allow me to make appropriate decisions to fit the needs of the many.

I pledge to satisfy the FAF community to the best of my ability, and to assist any other councilors in their duties that concern working with the player base.
UnorthodoxBox

Has liked: 131 times
Been liked: 54 times
FAF User Name: Box-

Postby FtXCommando » 07 May 2019, 22:01

UnorthodoxBox wrote:As Player Councilor, my primary concern would be to do my best to understand and work out issues the community may have with the current client, and how FAF is run. I will be the person that deals with all the complaints and suggestions that moderators right now seem to be taking the brunt of. When I feel I am accomplishing that task to a satisfactory degree, I will secondly focus on ladder, as it seems the Player Councilor is also imbued with that role. I have some ideas of my own for ladder, such as curating the maps more strictly, and also reducing the size of the map pool, but these goals of mine, of course, can also be influenced by the people who play ladder frequently, and what they are looking for in their ladder experience.

So you don’t currently understand the issues about the client and haven’t brought any solutions up?

How do you plan on putting ladder as a secondary focus. You need to be focusing on that from the start at a minimum. Unless you plan on not updating pools at all.

It sounds like you’re planning on adjusting your ideas through, say, a poll of active ladder players. In other words you plan on doing a poll and taking those results into account to determine what the proper adjustments to ladder are. Sounds kinda familiar to be.

You just ignoring the trainer/TD aspect? There’s the issue of minimal TD activity to take into account.
Are you upset? Are you happy? Are you a FAF Player? Come to the PC Discord and share your thoughts and build the community!

https://discord.gg/Y2dGU8X
FtXCommando
Councillor - Players

Has liked: 234 times
Been liked: 583 times
FAF User Name: FtXCommando

Postby UnorthodoxBox » 07 May 2019, 22:30

So you don’t currently understand the issues about the client and haven’t brought any solutions up?

I do currently understand the issues about the client, but I do not believe that stating how I think the new client can be fixed would have any value to my application. It is essentially covered by me saying that I am willing to hear out the issues players have, and I will do the best I can to make them heard.

How do you plan on putting ladder as a secondary focus. You need to be focusing on that from the start at a minimum. Unless you plan on not updating pools at all.

I think it is fairly obvious that I would not give up on ladder. I am simply saying that changing the way ladder currently functions is not the top priority. This does not mean I would not continue to change map pools according to the current schedule. Perhaps what I should have said is that CHANGING ladder comes second, not maintaining.

You just ignoring the trainer/TD aspect? There’s the issue of minimal TD activity to take into account.

Currently, there are no changes needed to be made to trainers from what I have gathered. Though that does not mean there are no changes wanted. I think the list of trainers should be updated so that trainers who are no longer actively training would have their trainer role removed.

For tournament directors, I would make sure that the list of TDs is legitimate and contains people that can be relied on to direct when asked. I also would be able to recruit people that I believe can host a tournament, but do not know much about becoming a TD.
UnorthodoxBox

Has liked: 131 times
Been liked: 54 times
FAF User Name: Box-

Postby Francia » 07 May 2019, 22:44

Hello everybody, I am Francias. I really really love this small group we have. In this community we know people so intimately to the point where if I see a certain player I can already know what they are doing before scouting!

As Player Councillor I will be the voice for members of the community. I will be open to suggestions and discussions with anyone. I am a friendly person! Luckily I have had no major problems with a single person in faf so far! :smile:

The most important thing I would like to see is support for the python client. It is completely necessary to care for for players that are not rich with resources. It is not obsolete, it is the only solution for many many people. There should be an option to install python client on the front page.

The main role the PC has is taking care of the ladder system. I would like to see the map pool mirror that of competitive SC2. Maps in the main ladder pool will have without question a strong history of competitive play-ability. Non-competitive maps can be played in custom games. I will recruit people to counsel me with 1.9k rating or more in ladder.

Tournaments/TD's will be done in a standard simple fashion. Much like they are already done in FAF.

If there will be a team matchmaker I will be qualified with 1.9k global faf rating. I have played all major formats; ffa, 1vs1, 2vs2, 8v8, Setons, and Wonder.

I pledge to be in touch with community by playing at least play 5 games a month while being available at least a couple hours a day to answer any concerns.
Francia

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 0 time

Postby Louvegarde » 07 May 2019, 22:54

Hey, thanks for your application. You sound like a very nice person.

Francia wrote:The most important thing I would like to see is support for the python client. It is completely necessary to care for for players that are not rich with resources. It is not obsolete, it is the only solution for many many people. There should be an option to install python client on the front page.

Unfortunately, unless you have a hidden python dev army hidden somewhere, or unless you are a python expert yourself, I'm afraid there is no way this will happen.
Supporting a single client speeds up development and prevents developers from having to make everything twice, duplicate each feature, etc...

If you think the java client is eating too much resources, then the best of ideas would rather be to work towards improving the optimization and resource consumption of the java client rather than trying to resurrect the python one. That is why the option to download the python client was removed, and as far as I know, it's not coming back.

Have a nice day :)
Cryogenic slumber party!
Louvegarde
Priest

Has liked: 105 times
Been liked: 103 times
FAF User Name: Louvegarde

Postby Francia » 07 May 2019, 23:00

Louvegarde wrote:Hey, thanks for your application. You sound like a very nice person.

Francia wrote:The most important thing I would like to see is support for the python client. It is completely necessary to care for for players that are not rich with resources. It is not obsolete, it is the only solution for many many people. There should be an option to install python client on the front page.

Unfortunately, unless you have a hidden python dev army hidden somewhere, or unless you are a python expert yourself, I'm afraid there is no way this will happen.
Supporting a single client speeds up development and prevents developers from having to make everything twice, duplicate each feature, etc...

If you think the java client is eating too much resources, then the best of ideas would rather be to work towards improving the optimization and resource consumption of the java client rather than trying to resurrect the python one. That is why the option to download the python client was removed, and as far as I know, it's not coming back.

Have a nice day :)

Does it need a dev army? I could do it if no one else will.

Where can I get access to source code?
Francia

Postby Louvegarde » 07 May 2019, 23:04

Unless you wish to allocate 100% of the time you planned to allocate to your PC activities to develop the python client instead, there is no way you'll do without an army.
The source code is with the rest of the source code of FAF, at https://github.com/FAForever (/client)

Why would you try so hard to work on the python client instead of optimizing and fixing up the java client ? FAF won't officially support two clients as it represents a huge bottleneck in feature additions.
Cryogenic slumber party!
Louvegarde
Priest

Has liked: 105 times
Been liked: 103 times
FAF User Name: Louvegarde

Postby Geosearchef » 07 May 2019, 23:07

The most important thing I would like to see is support for the python client. It is completely necessary to care for for players that are not rich with resources. It is not obsolete, it is the only solution for many many people. There should be an option to install python client on the front page

The python client is not gonna come back. This has been the center of debate for ages and one councillor is not gonna change that. We have NO ONE working on the current python client. This has been blocking FAF from countless features. One of them was ICE. I have developed the current ICE adapter over the past year and I have suffered a lot from having to support 2 clients. It's taken a huge amount of work to get that into the python client anyways. Which will block every new feature.

Just as we speak, the java client has released a new build containing an alpha version map generator which will host games on generated maps which every python client user will be unable to join.

If there will be a team matchmaker I will be qualified with 1.9k global faf rating. I have played all major formats; ffa, 1vs1, 2vs2, 8v8, Setons, and Wonder.

I have started work and was joined by Askaholic on a party system and team matchmaking. I'm currently working on the client implementation.
This is NOT GOING TO HAPPEN in the python client. If team matchmaker is going to be deployed and should reach it's goal we might even have to block the python client server sided for the sake of the community.

I agree that the java client needs some work, which is what axel12 and me are currently constantly working on. It needs some optimizations and a few important fixes + some features given from feedback by the players (list can be found here: https://github.com/FAForever/downlords- ... backThread ).
But I don't think that requiring 500 MB of RAM and an x64 based system to run the client should be a dealbreaker in 2019.

When GW comes around, we have the same problem again. (This goes for all new features)

In a nutshell, we should try to fix the issues people have with the java client, NOT drag the python client with us another two years.
Developer, Server Admin, ICE, currently working on Team Matchmaking, FAF Client
Geosearchef
Contributor

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 127 times
FAF User Name: Geosearchef

Postby Francia » 07 May 2019, 23:09

Louvegarde wrote:Unless you wish to allocate 100% of the time you planned to allocate to your PC activities to develop the python client instead, there is no way you'll do without an army.
The source code is with the rest of the source code of FAF, at https://github.com/FAForever (/client)

Why would you try so hard to work on the python client instead of optimizing and fixing up the java client ? FAF won't officially support two clients as it represents a huge bottleneck in feature additions.

Java takes more memory. This is an old game that should have a low resource option.
Francia

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions