Important: Changeable Target Priorities are unfair/cheating

Talk about general things concerning Forged Alliance Forever.

Moderators: FtXCommando, Ze Dogfather

Re: Important: Changeable Target Priorities are unfair/cheat

Postby Deribus » 12 Mar 2019, 17:34

I dislike changeable targeting priorities since it makes the behavior of units unpredictable.

For example, one of my favorite strategies (although not one that comes up often) is mercy sniping ACUs covered by AA by hovering my interceptors over them. With targeting priorities strategies like this aren't possible, and it adds a lot of randomness to the game what priority your enemies' units are set to.

There's no real way to play around it, because there's no way to see what priorities your opponent is using.
Deribus

Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 8 times
FAF User Name: Deribus

Postby Mephi » 12 Mar 2019, 17:45

Snipe mode is the ultimate no-Brain move for 1v1 now, because the amount of units you or your opponent have dont really matter anymore. Its just the slightest missposition and a game ends with a shift+g snipemode acu kill.

But hey, thats your faf ladder now. Have Fun!
Attachments
9389226-Mephi.fafreplay
(50.52 KiB) Downloaded 32 times
My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrS9QsyUnTXhhYw3mAjBAeA
Top Level 1v1 POV and Casts
Mephi
Priest

Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 134 times
FAF User Name: Mephi

Postby MrTBSC » 12 Mar 2019, 17:50

Morax wrote:Well, I dislike ecoing and think it should be more streamlined, but I doubt I'll get that.

So why should you get your way with reclaim, removal of micro, e.t.c? I fail to see why certain "nuisances" should be alleviated.

If we all get our way, the game will be severely simplified and likely conflict in what direction it goes.

It's hardly fair that this kind of thing goes through without consent of the player base. I'm not sure of the motive for "snipe mode," but I don't recall our player councilor informing the community and devs that it was some mutually-agreed upon update.

The amount of mods and changes going through without any consideration of majority vote is really upsetting. Was this discussed in some council meeting I discussed, or did it come up as a possibility and implemented because the slack channel liked it?

ok so let´s not find a compromise at all, let´s keep the status quo and let´s just argue for the sake of it because that´s so much better ..

and what is the general direction it should go then? being unessary complex with rather little depth, a vast puddle? because this is what the game has been for the longest time in my eyes .. doesn´t have to be an ocean, a filled well does it for me too ...
MrTBSC

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 7 times
FAF User Name: Mr.TBSC

Postby Morax » 12 Mar 2019, 18:04

I am not arguing "for the sake of it. "

When I play a Sentons and am faced verse someone like Yudi I get crushed because the dude has ridiculous apm and control. I like that, as hard as it may seem to be, because it gives a clear distinction between someone with natural and acquired talent. Not to mention, it drives me to learn from these encounters and better oneself.

If we continuously add automation to the game you decrease the difference between the better or worse player.

I also think that people who put in effort to learn and train (you can definitely increase apm with practice) should be rewarded verse someone who wants a change because it's "too annoying."
Maps and Modifications Councilor

M&M Discord Channel

Come join us and help create content with the artists of FAF.
Morax
Councillor - Maps and Mods

Has liked: 1167 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: Morax

Postby FtXCommando » 12 Mar 2019, 18:06

Morax wrote:Well, I dislike ecoing and think it should be more streamlined, but I doubt I'll get that.

So why should you get your way with reclaim, removal of micro, e.t.c? I fail to see why certain "nuisances" should be alleviated.

If we all get our way, the game will be severely simplified and likely conflict in what direction it goes.

It's hardly fair that this kind of thing goes through without consent of the player base. I'm not sure of the motive for "snipe mode," but I don't recall our player councilor informing the community and devs that it was some mutually-agreed upon update.

The amount of mods and changes going through without any consideration of majority vote is really upsetting. Was this discussed in some council meeting I discussed, or did it come up as a possibility and implemented because the slack channel liked it?

keyser basically described the process that the change went through (either this thread or the snipe mode one they blend together). I just know some of the balance team didn’t like it while others were fine with it. No devs or other councillors really had any input as far as I’m aware.
Are you upset? Are you happy? Are you a FAF Player? Come to the PC Discord and share your thoughts and build the community!

https://discord.gg/Y2dGU8X
FtXCommando
Councillor - Players

Has liked: 234 times
Been liked: 583 times
FAF User Name: FtXCommando

Postby MrTBSC » 12 Mar 2019, 18:28

Deribus wrote:I dislike changeable targeting priorities since it makes the behavior of units unpredictable.

For example, one of my favorite strategies (although not one that comes up often) is mercy sniping ACUs covered by AA by hovering my interceptors over them. With targeting priorities strategies like this aren't possible, and it adds a lot of randomness to the game what priority your enemies' units are set to.

There's no real way to play around it, because there's no way to see what priorities your opponent is using.

i don´t think you picked a good example with that .. i mean if you just send inties with a couple of mercies well of course TP should target the mercies cause what does a antiground- groundgroundunit (commander, and unless it drops on his face) care about a antiair airunit? ... the question would rather be how adjustable TP would work if you use a combination of inties and/or fighterbombers (whatever the aeon equivalent is) coupled with gunships and the few mercies .. .. cause then while admitedly there is a higher mass investment your AA has now 3 threats to put a TP-order on ..

edit: yea forgot the aeon t2 plane is only a fighter not a fighterbomber ..
Last edited by MrTBSC on 12 Mar 2019, 18:50, edited 1 time in total.
MrTBSC

Postby Morax » 12 Mar 2019, 18:31

Okay, so the balance team also is game functionality team as well?

Can't claim I'm the only one that thinks this is a bad move as Mephi stated so above.

Foul move, balance team...
Maps and Modifications Councilor

M&M Discord Channel

Come join us and help create content with the artists of FAF.
Morax
Councillor - Maps and Mods

Has liked: 1167 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: Morax

Postby Tagada » 12 Mar 2019, 18:38

I think that snipe mode was added because Acu's are low on the target list while being the sole game ender and I think that without screwing out t1 phase and rambo Acu's you can't have units target Acu first. On the other hand it's bloody anoying when you have more then enough units to kill Acu but it's barely in range so you can't manually target it but your units would rather shoot some random engies then finishing of the 1000 hp acu.
Tagada

Has liked: 86 times
Been liked: 18 times
FAF User Name: WhoIsThisNoob

Postby Blodir » 12 Mar 2019, 18:47

MrTBSC wrote:and what is the general direction it should go then? being unessary complex with rather little depth, a vast puddle? because this is what the game has been for the longest time in my eyes .. doesn´t have to be an ocean, a filled well does it for me too ...

I think adjustable target priority makes the game *more* complex and not less... it expands the overall pool of possible actions, while also removing depth (removing the choice of whether u want to move or focus fire). Ie. it makes the game harder to learn and easier to master, that sounds like a lose-lose to me.
Last edited by Blodir on 12 Mar 2019, 19:43, edited 2 times in total.
Blodir
Contributor

Has liked: 489 times
Been liked: 535 times
FAF User Name: Snowbound

Postby MrTBSC » 12 Mar 2019, 18:54

Morax wrote:I am not arguing "for the sake of it. "

When I play a Sentons and am faced verse someone like Yudi I get crushed because the dude has ridiculous apm and control. I like that, as hard as it may seem to be, because it gives a clear distinction between someone with natural and acquired talent. Not to mention, it drives me to learn from these encounters and better oneself.

If we continuously add automation to the game you decrease the difference between the better or worse player.

I also think that people who put in effort to learn and train (you can definitely increase apm with practice) should be rewarded verse someone who wants a change because it's "too annoying."

imo it´s more about putting were the focus of a good player should be and what he should learn and put effort into .. but that depends on what the direction of the game should be in the first place ..

do people want the game to be a larger scale starcraft?
MrTBSC

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions