Important: Changeable Target Priorities are unfair/cheating

Talk about general things concerning Forged Alliance Forever.

Moderators: FtXCommando, Ze Dogfather

Re: Important: Changeable Target Priorities are unfair/cheat

Postby ZLO_RD » 10 Mar 2019, 00:55

i like being able to get more control over my units. People are just annoyed cause they always used ACU as damage buffer trying to kill enemy tanks while tanking with ACU instead of losing tanks... with that mod you will not be cancered by your units not shooting where you want while enemy ACU retreats
http://www.youtube.com/user/dimatularus
http://www.twitch.tv/zlo_rd
TA4Life: "At the very least we are not slaves to the UI"
ZLO_RD
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 303 times
Been liked: 400 times
FAF User Name: ZLO

Postby Louvegarde » 10 Mar 2019, 01:02

This whole issue was discussed extensively on slack months ago IIRC and it was decided that Strogo's mod would remain an UI mod, because it was a big spreadsheet that 90% of the users wouldn't care for. It was decided to take the Equilibrium target priorities mod instead, which still allowed to decide of target priorities but in a way that blended well with the UI and was understandable for anyone - and to integrate that one into FAF.
Cryogenic slumber party!
Louvegarde
Priest

Has liked: 105 times
Been liked: 103 times
FAF User Name: Louvegarde

Postby tatsu » 10 Mar 2019, 13:02

Louvegarde wrote:This whole issue was discussed extensively on slack months ago IIRC and it was decided that Strogo's mod would remain an UI mod, because it was a big spreadsheet that 90% of the users wouldn't care for. It was decided to take the Equilibrium target priorities mod instead, which still allowed to decide of target priorities but in a way that blended well with the UI and was understandable for anyone - and to integrate that one into FAF.

well doesn't it seem that retrospectively, this decision was the wrong one? I mean obviously a merger should be had or simply take the other target mod and make it stock .
tatsu
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 1952 times
Been liked: 171 times
FAF User Name: tatsu

Postby Louvegarde » 10 Mar 2019, 13:14

tatsu wrote:
Louvegarde wrote:This whole issue was discussed extensively on slack months ago IIRC and it was decided that Strogo's mod would remain an UI mod, because it was a big spreadsheet that 90% of the users wouldn't care for. It was decided to take the Equilibrium target priorities mod instead, which still allowed to decide of target priorities but in a way that blended well with the UI and was understandable for anyone - and to integrate that one into FAF.

well doesn't it seem that retrospectively, this decision was the wrong one? I mean obviously a merger should be had or simply take the other target mod and make it stock .

The point was to take the equilibrium target priority modification and make it stock. Wasn't that done at all ?
Cryogenic slumber party!
Louvegarde
Priest

Has liked: 105 times
Been liked: 103 times
FAF User Name: Louvegarde

Postby Quant » 10 Mar 2019, 20:30

On one hand I like that with priorities you can make units not be retarded (ie mmls shooting t1 tanks instead of killing buildings), but on the other, it really nerfs ACUs. Move vs stop and target fire was an interesting choice to make, and now its gone.

I don't know if this is part of the mod, but being able to make gunships target aa over other things would also buff them significantly.
Quant
Crusader

Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 8 times
FAF User Name: Quant

Postby Resin_Smoker » 10 Mar 2019, 21:36

Currently the commanders aren't really a high priority on may of the target lists. Thus an attacking player has to manually target the enemy commander to assign the attack. This system allows all players a chance to play at a slower pace and enjoy the game.

A mod like this side-steps that delay and could allow all units to auto attack any commander in range above all other targets. Thus a player going agaist said mod may find their commander constantly under attack.

-RS
Resin_Smoker
Evaluator

Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 106 times

Postby Tagada » 11 Mar 2019, 08:39

Snipe mod was added into the game in January if i am not mistaken so it's no longer a mod. Advanced Target Priorities is a mod which allows you to set more target priorities like snipe mod and switch between them with hotkeys.
Personally I think that ATP should be merged into the main game but I do understand that it would make the game even harder to play and also buff and nerf some units while intruducing sometimes more brainles gameplay eg. Spam gunships and fly them above an army with TP switched to focus aa.
Tagada

Has liked: 86 times
Been liked: 18 times
FAF User Name: WhoIsThisNoob

Postby EcoNoob » 12 Mar 2019, 14:56

So the new seton's meta is to use different target priorities and download some dudes macro's to get easy advantages over the rest?
EcoNoob

Has liked: 155 times
Been liked: 70 times
FAF User Name: EcoNoob

Postby MrTBSC » 12 Mar 2019, 16:22

Morax wrote:It removes the whole process of execution management, which is just removing fun of the game.

You can order a large army in, grab popcorn, and watch
... Where the hell is the fun? If I wanted to watch something happen rather create it, i would go watch a video of the same thing.

Edit: The only purpose I see in this "enhancement" is closing the gap between people with and without apm.

this i disagree with, fun being subjective i personaly don´t see the fun in always telling my gunships to specifically target AA to savely attack an aproaching army (or otherwise not be able to use them cause otherwise i would lose more of them than would worth it) specifically when it is not always easy to pick the AA within a large group

.. what exactly is wrong with closing the gap? if you ARE a better player than i should lose against you regardless, no?

in a similar case i asked on the PA forum for engineers/workerunits to get behaviors to be more precise on what they should do on patrols (because they often go and assist factories in production than to reclaim and and you rather have to attackmove for reclaim which is inprecise and does not make sense in any way),in that case i don´t see the fun in having to tell my workers to pick up each single piece of rock that lies around in a forrest ...
SupCom lacks areacommands that are used in the Spring engine and PA and are super usefull but as mentioned like patrols are inprecise and temporal aswell ...

but to get back to topic yes imho targetpriorities should be a thing for the novice to be able to attack/defend against what are the highest threats in a armycomposition or base unless overwritten by manual targeting ..

the one thing i don´t understand about people is that you want to supposedly play against a variety of people that are on your level .. why then limit that variety with deliberate microneccesity when this game, while no doubt has micro (the commander itself IS a micro/herounit), is still about macro first and formost (like most rts actualy but i think you get the point) ..

i seriously feel like in communities there are some that seem to prefer a kinda closed off small group of elites and expect too hard of others to get on a "worthy" level before being acknoledged/accepted .. and imo that is not realy a good thing ..
MrTBSC

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 7 times
FAF User Name: Mr.TBSC

Postby Morax » 12 Mar 2019, 17:23

Well, I dislike ecoing and think it should be more streamlined, but I doubt I'll get that.

So why should you get your way with reclaim, removal of micro, e.t.c? I fail to see why certain "nuisances" should be alleviated.

If we all get our way, the game will be severely simplified and likely conflict in what direction it goes.

It's hardly fair that this kind of thing goes through without consent of the player base. I'm not sure of the motive for "snipe mode," but I don't recall our player councilor informing the community and devs that it was some mutually-agreed upon update.

The amount of mods and changes going through without any consideration of majority vote is really upsetting. Was this discussed in some council meeting I discussed, or did it come up as a possibility and implemented because the slack channel liked it?
Maps and Modifications Councilor

M&M Discord Channel

Come join us and help create content with the artists of FAF.
Morax
Councillor - Maps and Mods

Has liked: 1167 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: Morax

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions