How I got FAF running on a Mac

Talk about general things concerning Forged Alliance Forever.

Moderators: FtXCommando, Ze Dogfather

How I got FAF running on a Mac

Postby nrook » 24 Nov 2018, 05:33

I got SupCom and FAF running on a mac and figured I should post about what I had to do, so anyone else who tries this has ideas.

I basically started by following this guide: https://wiki.faforever.com/index.php?ti ... hon_client

except I changed things whenever I had to.

I installed Steam with PlayOnMac, which is basically just a wrapper around Wine. Once I had Steam I installed FA in there. At first Steam wouldn't download anything, I had to change it to use different download servers for some reason, using some weird advice I saw on Reddit or something. I don't remember exactly what I had to do here but it was annoying.

I used the original FAF client because I know more about Python than Java, sorry Downlord.

I had to do dumb stuff to get faf-uid working because there isn't a compiled Mac (BSD) client. Specifically, I downloaded the linux faf-uid, then I installed this program called "noah" with homebrew. It is basically Wine for Linux -> BSD. Then I renamed faf-uid to real-faf-uid, and in the place of faf-uid put this script:

Code: Select all
#!/bin/bash
noah $(dirname "$0")/real-faf-uid "$@"

I don't know if this actually works well or not, so don't blame me if you get autobanned 8-)

For the FA directory, I used the directory from the WIne client. PlayOnMac installs everything in "$HOME/Library/PlayOnMac/wineprefix/Steam/drive_c" so look there.

Finally it was really hard to debug why launching FA was working or not working. As such I just gave up and used this as the "exe" in the [wine] section of FA Lobby.ini:

[wine]
exe=/Users/nrook/code/faf-client/dumb_wine_shim

Of course dumb_wine_shim is something I wrote myself. It is another dumb script, here is its contents:

export WINEPREFIX=/Users/nrook/Library/PlayOnMac/wineprefix/steam
/Users/nrook/Library/PlayOnMac/wine/darwin-x86/3.17/bin/wine "$@" >/Users/nrook/FAForever/logs/winestdout 2>/Users/nrook/FAForever/logs/winestderr

Since it pipes the output of wine, it is way easier trying to figure out why FA decided not to boot than going through forever.log or gamesession.log.

So that is how I got FAF running. Hopefully this is slightly helpful to anyone trying this. It is not supported and will probably break randomly but oh well. I haven't actually played a multi game with it because my network is currently bad, but vs AI worked, and connecting in lobby worked, so it will probably work.
nrook

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 3 times
FAF User Name: nrook

Re: How I got FAF running on a Mac

Postby Cuddles » 24 Nov 2018, 09:13

wow, impressive, really.

pure insanity tho. i would just have duel booted or something.
Turinturambar defended very valiantly
Cuddles
Contributor

Has liked: 132 times
Been liked: 118 times
FAF User Name: Scoot

Postby nrook » 24 Nov 2018, 17:27

yeah I can’t justify it as a good use of my time, at all
nrook

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 3 times
FAF User Name: nrook

Postby tatsu » 25 Nov 2018, 21:50

yeah I'm blow away too! you get my props!
tatsu
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 1952 times
Been liked: 171 times
FAF User Name: tatsu

Postby tatsu » 14 Mar 2019, 00:10

nrook wrote:...

hey dude, I got this script now : https://github.com/tatsujb/installFAFsc ... /README.md

I'm looking to port it to mac. I need your help. technically it's a done deal but it'll require a fair bit of adaptation and I'll need someone who's savvy with mac to guide me, are you down? :D
tatsu
Supreme Commander

Postby Androish » 17 Apr 2019, 11:30

tatsu wrote:
nrook wrote:...

hey dude, I got this script now : https://github.com/tatsujb/installFAFsc ... /README.md

I'm looking to port it to mac. I need your help. technically it's a done deal but it'll require a fair bit of adaptation and I'll need someone who's savvy with mac to guide me, are you down? :D

A script. would be much appreciated if you are able to get it to work.

I wanted to try and setup FAF without bootcamp on my laptop. Was able to install Steam and FA. but no joy getting any of the clients for FAF to work :P
Androish

Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 14 times
FAF User Name: Androish

Postby tatsu » 17 Apr 2019, 11:45

I'm hammering away at it night and day. it's already really robust and performant for all ubuntu based distros + debian.

Mac is another beast but maybe I should be able to do it.
tatsu
Supreme Commander

Postby Heaven » 20 Apr 2019, 18:56

hOw I gOt FaF rUnNiNg On A mAc
Heaven

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 135 times
FAF User Name: Heaven

Postby Capt_Bucky_OHare » 15 Dec 2019, 15:36

tatsu wrote:I'm hammering away at it night and day. it's already really robust and performant for all ubuntu based distros + debian.

Mac is another beast but maybe I should be able to do it.

Hey Tatsu, did you get this working? I've got some friends who would love to play but only have Macs....
Capt_Bucky_OHare

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: Capt_Bucky_OHare

Return to General Discussions