Quality of Performance as a ranked mod

Talk about general things concerning Forged Alliance Forever.

Moderators: FtXCommando, Ze Dogfather

Re: Quality of Performance as a ranked mod

Postby BRNKoINSANITY » 25 Jul 2018, 03:24

Speaking as someone who hosts a lot of 10+ player count games, on 10k-20k maps, this mod makes a HUGE difference in sim speed. If you are in a fully loaded down 12 player setons game, we are talking 2 sim speed difference in some cases. It also helps with framerate/stuttering a little.
BRNKoINSANITY
Evaluator

Has liked: 43 times
Been liked: 207 times
FAF User Name: BRNKoINSANITY

Postby Uveso » 25 Jul 2018, 05:04

QuestionMarkNoob wrote:Let's hyothetically say those bugs were left in. How would that impact the game?

Well.

Animation file errors are not so bat for itself. The animation will not run...
But it will trigger an error if we try to manipulate the animation like speed etc.

The bad part, animation settings are mostly part of the init() function of an unit.
Now, if the animation command fails, it will trigger an error and will stop to execute the rest of the init() function.
That is the bad thing we don't want.

Also manipulation all blueprints and overwrite values without checking is not a good idea.
We should not just delete the animation file and let the animation function run into nil values.
Better way would be to hook and change some unit scripts and remove the animation there.

Obsolete functions will only affect the loadingtime not the simspeed. So we can ignore this.

Hooks/files should be cleaned from already set locals.
Some ppl start with copy the original file and forget that they work an a textfile that will be appended to the original file.
So all start variables and locals that where declared at the start of the original file should not be declared again at the end of the file
where the "hook" file is appended.
If you never change one of this locals then it will at least not cause errors, but it makes code more complex and not update friendly.

It's not harmfull to use this mod, but it can produce lag if you use units that changes often something on an animation like animation speed or direction.
(units that control animations with different unit states will trigger an error every time the unit state is changed.)

After fixing this, it could be a usefull mod for low end PC's.
At least it's not a fake mod :mrgreen:
Uveso
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 70 times
Been liked: 291 times
FAF User Name: Uveso

Postby Morax » 06 Dec 2019, 18:54

Based on a discussion with Balthazar, Uveso, and other modification wizards, it was determined this mod is questionable in functionality, only showing positive results for machines that are dated more than 8 years (for example, an Intel Core 2 Duo). The results are negligible due to messy code and may actually do more harm then good.

The mod will at best be unhidden and unranked if enough demand is made in appeals after this hiding.
Maps and Modifications Councilor

M&M Discord Channel

Come join us and help create content with the artists of FAF.
Morax
Councillor - Maps and Mods

Has liked: 1167 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: Morax

Postby Plasma_Wolf » 07 Dec 2019, 13:20

The idea that Quality of Performance is unnecessary because of old cpus is not true. I'm on a 3 year old laptop and I don't have the money to upgrade, with an intel i7 6500u as cpu. The difference Quality of Performance is massive. Phantom games go to -2 after 40 minutes, -5 is hit without QoP. I am not the only one. In addition, QoP is not rated. I can understand missing animations being a reason to not rate it, but that can't be a decision to hide it while talking about rating/not rating it.
Plasma_Wolf
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 91 times
FAF User Name: Plasma_Wolf

Postby Morax » 07 Dec 2019, 15:26

Hey, Plasma,

I'm sorry to hear if this was done erroneously, but can you show this to be true?

I'm getting conflicting reports and most people that claim it's useful are not providing any actual data. Your results could be due to others in the game rather your own PC.
Maps and Modifications Councilor

M&M Discord Channel

Come join us and help create content with the artists of FAF.
Morax
Councillor - Maps and Mods

Has liked: 1167 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: Morax

Postby Plasma_Wolf » 08 Dec 2019, 12:29

I'll see if I can make two very similar sandbox games with some other people, one with and one without Quality of performance.
Plasma_Wolf
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 91 times
FAF User Name: Plasma_Wolf

Postby techmind_ » 02 Feb 2020, 14:07

Just run a 'sandbox game' with 10 ai's and spawn 1000 units for each, will slow the game significantly (takes ~30 secs to check).
techmind_
Crusader

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 5 times
FAF User Name: techmind_

Postby mirddes » 15 Mar 2020, 21:39

I just want beams instead of drones. Where is the clean build of quality of life that doesn't get hundreds of people banned for cheating????
mirddes
Banned

Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 0 time
FAF User Name: mirddes

Previous

Return to General Discussions