Ladder Rotation/System Comments

Talk about general things concerning Forged Alliance Forever.

Moderators: FtXCommando, Ze Dogfather

Re: Ladder Rotation/System Comments

Postby Louvegarde » 07 Sep 2018, 13:59

The other part of what makes a map bad is gameplay, and that is a bit more subjective, but I'd like to meet a serious person who thinks Sludge is worthy of being in the same pool with maps such as Loki.

Then hello. I am a serious person who thinks Sludge is worthy of being in the same pool with maps such as Loki.
Cryogenic slumber party!
Louvegarde
Priest

Has liked: 105 times
Been liked: 103 times
FAF User Name: Louvegarde

Postby keyser » 07 Sep 2018, 15:01

Banned.
Zockyzock:
VoR is the clan of upcoming top players now
keyser
Councillor - Game

Has liked: 424 times
Been liked: 540 times
FAF User Name: keyser

Postby ThomasHiatt » 07 Sep 2018, 16:25

TantrumDesire wrote:snip

Thanks for writing the obese rant that I lost the motivation to write. I think you need to be on the ladder team.
ThomasHiatt

Has liked: 116 times
Been liked: 110 times
FAF User Name: ThomasHiatt

Postby Blodir » 07 Sep 2018, 18:11

Thanks for fighting the good fight TantrumDesire.
Blodir
Contributor

Has liked: 489 times
Been liked: 535 times
FAF User Name: Snowbound

Postby Petricpwnz » 07 Sep 2018, 18:41

Thanks.
Blackheart wrote:actually i love lolis and want petry to be my waifu

Scientifically proving that Blackheart is a weeb - https://imgur.com/a/J436c | https://clips.twitch.tv/AssiduousAverageOxMikeHogu

Best meme of 2017 - https://puu.sh/yLsvH/abbf54eb99.mp4
Petricpwnz
Priest

Has liked: 442 times
Been liked: 473 times
FAF User Name: Fremy_Speeddraw

Postby Morax » 07 Sep 2018, 19:28

This whole "ladder is an experimental pool for tournaments" deal is really upsetting.

I know that if you don't experiment, it excludes new maps, but after seeing a review done by Turin I really question how much effort is being made to recognize a map should simply be a flat-out "no."

No amount of writing and justification will convince me that some of these recent selections justify your methods. Clearly, there was a lot of time put into making the post on the front page, but if a quarter of that was spent to actually look at maps I don't think the backlash on choices would exist.
Maps and Modifications Councilor

M&M Discord Channel

Come join us and help create content with the artists of FAF.
Morax
Councillor - Maps and Mods

Has liked: 1167 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: Morax

Postby Farmsletje » 07 Sep 2018, 19:35

Contrary to popular belief different people have different opinions.

If you ask voodoo he'd say moonlight mesas, balvery mountains, winter duel and sentry points are good maps.
If you ask me i'd say crazyrush is a good map (and devils landings worth being in the pool sometimes)
If you ask more than half the top ladder players they'd say that haven reef is insanely garbage and should be removed from existance
If you ask the average faf player they would say they want astro or dual gap in ladder.

So where do you want to draw the line?

The idea of the ladder team is that every map gets a rating according to its quality and maps that score too low won't be able to make it into the pool. The rating works exponentially which means that the lowest rated maps will only very rarely show up. However this system is new and therefore isn't perfect yet so that's why a map like zorg managed to get in the ladder pool. Things like increasing the minimum rating a map needs to have in order to make it into the pool (from 1.5/5 to 2/5) or making the exponential curve curve harder so that top rated maps appear more often in comparison to low rated maps are still topics of discussion.

This means that the hard line between "batshit awfull" and other maps you're talking about is already being worked on. It's just that it takes time to find out where exactly that hard line has to be placed.

Morax wrote:Clearly, there was a lot of time put into making the post on the front page, but if a quarter of that was spent to actually look at maps I don't think the backlash on choices would exist.

Shame on us. If only we spend as much time as tokyto and the M&M team on this.
FtXCommando wrote:
need to give him some time to blossom into an aids flower
Farmsletje
Contributor

Has liked: 383 times
Been liked: 452 times
FAF User Name: Farmsletje

Postby Morax » 07 Sep 2018, 20:05

I think you failed to read the "no matter how much you try to justify it, putting zorg in the ladder showed a huge lack."

Yeah, the m&m team has been misled, but thankfully the person who was running things for maps, and lacked time , stepped down.

I can't tell people that more or less effort is needed on maps if you guys put stuff like fractal cancer or zorg into the pool. People look at the pool as if it's suitable for use.

I was giving feedback to someone and they said "why is my map not okay but these maps in ladder? "

There is no way I can set a decent standard if you guys need to experiment with that kind of content.

Saying you're better then Tokyto because you debate more doesn't justify things as the result is just as poor, or worse thanks to this awful selection of 5x5 maps.
Maps and Modifications Councilor

M&M Discord Channel

Come join us and help create content with the artists of FAF.
Morax
Councillor - Maps and Mods

Has liked: 1167 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: Morax

Postby Farmsletje » 07 Sep 2018, 20:20

Morax wrote:I think you failed to read the "no matter how much you try to justify it, putting zorg in the ladder showed a huge lack."

I can't tell people that more or less effort is needed on maps if you guys put stuff like fractal cancer or zorg into the pool. People look at the pool as if it's suitable for use.

I was giving feedback to someone and they said "why is my map not okay but these maps in ladder? "

There is no way I can set a decent standard if you guys need to experiment with that kind of content.

Have you even read my post
Morax wrote:Saying you're better then Tokyto because you debate more doesn't justify things as the result is just as poor, or worse thanks to this awful selection of 5x5 maps.

Please quote where i say we're better than tokyto
FtXCommando wrote:
need to give him some time to blossom into an aids flower
Farmsletje
Contributor

Has liked: 383 times
Been liked: 452 times
FAF User Name: Farmsletje

Postby Turinturambar » 07 Sep 2018, 20:36

1st planet zorg was definetly a mistake and hopefully wont happen again. Though
This whole "ladder is an experimental pool for tournaments" deal is really upsetting.

I dont see why this would be an issue. Many maps are fairly unknown and its necessary to play them multiple times before they appear in a tourney or else it will just end in a shitfeast. also this is pretty much the only way to see what is the meta on an unknown map in order to see if it has decent gameplay or will end up being plain boring after 5 playthrougs.
also what is the issue with fractal cancer? its a decent-good map imo.
Turinturambar

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 91 times
FAF User Name: 竜宮レナ

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions