Player Councillor Applications

Talk about general things concerning Forged Alliance Forever.

Moderators: FtXCommando, Ze Dogfather

Re: Player Councillor Applications

Postby Rowey » 30 May 2018, 18:21

i think hveing too many map is not the right way of doing thing people should be able to lean maps but encounting them more often by having a huge pool it make that hard. at the end of the day the people who play ladder dection should be involde in this process
Rowey
Contributor

Has liked: 93 times
Been liked: 71 times
FAF User Name: Rowey

Postby Rowey » 30 May 2018, 18:49

I would like to look in too if we could implement seasons for ladder and have some divisions so there is a sense of accomplishment playing ladder, but I feel for this to work correctly it would be a discussion for maybe having a rank reset but keeping the previous rank on a player profile or something so you know that they are a good player.
Rowey
Contributor

Postby Evan_ » 30 May 2018, 21:00

Rating reset is a terrible idea imo. Do you expect people to play if their hard earned rating is just going to be taken away in a couple months? Or when their next game could be against someone way better/worse than them?

This also creates problems with new players entering. Their first games are with people around 1200 rank (Granted I think the idea that new ladder players should be expected to have "average" skill level should change as well), so imagine them having to wait days for people to get up to where they can have their first games, with those players of course being the best and crushing the newbs even harder than before?

Also, what about people who want to sort through high level replays? they'll have to wait ages, and old replays may eventually get lost or unwatcheable with a new patch or something, so you'd have to know every pro by name and spend hours stalking their vaults for new games.
Evan_

Has liked: 65 times
Been liked: 80 times
FAF User Name: Evan_

Postby Rowey » 30 May 2018, 21:18

thats why i said id like to look into it this as players who are actively plauing ladder should be rewared for it and not have players in like the top 20 who hve not played in months. but think can be tested. at the end of the day ladder should be a show of skill not a number
Rowey
Contributor

Postby Morax » 31 May 2018, 01:13

Voodoo wrote:All I want is a small map pool with only 5x5 and maybe 2 or 3 10x10 maps. I there no one who can make my dream come true?
Also a ladder reset would be nice but that is an other topic.

Yes, let's coerce everyone to play Aeon 100% of the time because you can totally beat them without any effort on 5x5.

It's statements like this that make me really not enjoy a lot of the council decisions. You are so out of tune with what the player base likes. 5x5 is hatred, doom incarnate.

That being said, I do not want to see Sid's 80 map pool with 50% chance to get some garbage map. E.G.: Maridia is a terrible choice for 1v1....
Maps and Modifications Councilor

M&M Discord Channel

Come join us and help create content with the artists of FAF.
Morax
Councillor - Maps and Mods

Has liked: 1167 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: Morax

Postby Morax » 31 May 2018, 01:23

The first player councilor to declare that they will push TO ALL ENDS POSSIBLE TO CONVINCE THE DEVS to unrate or create a seperate rating for astro craters, fields of isis, gap, and etc whores wins my vote.

The rating uselessness of so many players has gotten so bad lately it's not even funny...

M&M Discord Channel

Morax

Postby FtXCommando » 31 May 2018, 02:59

Small pool was already tested out, pretty strong majority hated it. Also not sold on the idea of a ridiculously huge pool because I recall the results of Tokyto's map pool survey saying a fair bit of players preferred the 30-pool "mid range" concept. I plan on sticking with the current ladder pool concept until I do another ladder pool survey a few months down the line.

With resetting rating, I just don't really see the point. Plenty of players that stagnate have created a smurf account out of frustration in the paste only to end up floating back to the same rating as they were before. The only thing that really changes is that the leader-boards get cleaned out and you would force people that want to maintain their place to play ladder. It would introduce a period of activity for a few days at best, but ultimately still lead to the same level of play as has always existed at the top.

I do however plan on following through with the divisions plan that Tokyto and Exotic_Retard had been working on prior to Tokyto leaving the position. I feel it would do a much better job at addressing the apathy, particularly at lower levels, towards ladder and in combination with addressing people facing 1500s as their first ladder opponents, it should lead to a more active 1v1 scene.

With regards to unranking maps, I disagree. The solution to global rating is a team matchmaker, not unranking certain maps. A band-aid solution is possible that relates to people decreasing their rating gain for playing the same map constantly but even that will lead to abuse without having the vault first cleared out of maps that are near copies of one another. Ultimately addressing the rating issue will depend on the feasibility of getting a team matchmaker soon, and if it is not viable then I'll look for a temporary fix.

Also, a potential bottleneck to the issue of global rating is forcing games with a certain level of rating variance to become unranked. If a game with people 800 or 1000 rating apart is being played, the game has far too much of a variability in skill level to be considered an adequate measure of an individual's skill. The only situations where a person should be gaining rating are when they are facing and beating people at a similar level to them.
Are you upset? Are you happy? Are you a FAF Player? Come to the PC Discord and share your thoughts and build the community!

https://discord.gg/Y2dGU8X
FtXCommando
Councillor - Players

Has liked: 234 times
Been liked: 583 times
FAF User Name: FtXCommando

Postby Morax » 31 May 2018, 03:25

Whatever is done, please do it quickly. Team games are worse than ever.

M&M Discord Channel

Morax

Postby Apofenas » 31 May 2018, 13:55

The big map pool suggested by Sid is much better in terms of player preferance. The pool that is used for the game is formed from 2 players' picks and featured maps, so it is nominally 45 unique maps. You affect 1/3 of map pool yourself and than take part in voting for featured maps list which is another 1/3.

Such system provides much more freedom and flexebility in terms of map picks. Pool can be 50 instead of 90 and amount of picks can be 5 - that's potentially 15 or less maps to form a pool for game which is even less than we have atm, but it takes players' preferances much more than any other static systems.
BalanceVictim wrote:I tried it out, and yes, the anti-torpedo is a useful tool now. Sadly, the rest of the unit is still extremely weak compared to any other frig
Apofenas
Contributor

Has liked: 179 times
Been liked: 180 times
FAF User Name: Apofenas

Postby Farmsletje » 31 May 2018, 14:13

Poor gieb wouldn't be able to farm all welcome sentons anymore :(
FtXCommando wrote:
need to give him some time to blossom into an aids flower
Farmsletje
Contributor