Player Councillor Applications

Talk about general things concerning Forged Alliance Forever.

Moderators: FtXCommando, Ze Dogfather

Re: Player Councillor Applications

Postby biass » 28 May 2018, 16:36

I'm unsure if it is up to the Player Councillor to deal with the social after-effects of the cold war, and other topics taught in high school history class.
I agree the most with Icedreamer here. You can lead a horse to water but you cannot make it drink.

Regarding the perhaps most loaded question of the whole thread. It's very clear that im not russophobic, and as an Australian dealt with some of the barriers that players may face, such as connection, flag discrimination, etc.
I do not believe it is up to the Player Councillor to attempt to change a player's opinion. But to take note of and improve FAF's areas wherein the opinion may stem. For example if players cannot cross the language barrier properly ingame, then help to improve the ways of communicating such as for example having taunts appear in native languages rather then just English.
Furthermore, FAF has made great strides in trying to reach across said language barrier and communicate with people unable to speak english, and to accuse FAF of discriminating against them is rather slanderous in my opinion.

The Player Councillor can most likely not help to improve cross-nation issues brought in from outside FAF, that'll most likely be down to the moderation team.

SilentWarrior wrote:In my dept of Maps&Mods, my team has identified that there are a number of issues that prevent more players from playing ladder, one of which is Toxicity.

I challenge you to bring forth your case studies or similar to prove this, the example you gave in the discord recently was met with bewilderment and mockery.
I would ask also, why are you focusing on ladder at the detriment of your own operations?
Map thread: https://bit.ly/2PBsa5H

Petricpwnz wrote:biass on his campaign to cleanse and remake every single map of FAF because he is an untolerating reincarnation of mapping hitler
biass
Contributor

Has liked: 598 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: biass

Postby Farmsletje » 28 May 2018, 16:41

biass wrote:I challenge you to bring forth your case studies or similar to prove this, the example you gave in the discord recently was met with bewilderment and mockery.

Do you not trust lichkings ladder facts??
FtXCommando wrote:
need to give him some time to blossom into an aids flower
Farmsletje
Contributor

Has liked: 383 times
Been liked: 452 times
FAF User Name: Farmsletje

Postby justice » 28 May 2018, 21:49

look how fast americans(mostly ftx) attack maps councillor just because russian power
Last edited by justice on 29 May 2018, 04:04, edited 1 time in total.
justice

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Postby twentyseven » 29 May 2018, 00:54

I think it is odd that many of you respond to the observations of the russian playerbase so defensively or refuting it to the responsibilities of others (i.e. moderators). I find this to be a perfect opportunity to actually investigate the claims or just present more uniting strategies.

Just a simple observation from me; yuri seems to have the most popular faf streams and very popular Blitz tournaments. Alot of his followers get on those tourneys, despite short registration time. I know many of you cry for a more competitive faf, and here's a TD that has a lot of focus on low to mid-range players; which i think is perfect to entise more people to play tournaments and go for that tourney-winning fame.
You want more people to play high-level competitions? Well then they have to get the chance to start from somewhere. If "noobs" or "average joes" dont have some carrot to fight over; why would they commit to becoming better?

Even if I don't understand a word of russian; the most entertaining playback I've had of my tourneygames was when I underdog-beat Keyser in a 1v1 and yuri and his stream went totally crazy. And I find it unfortunate to miss alot of his tourneys as they are often targeted towards his audience, language- and timezone-wise (which of course is understandable). Surely there must be an opportunity to improve the globalization of faf somewhere here, right?

Yes, you can argue all day that its the responsibility of Yuri and his fellow russians to get better english or have more tournaments in times more suitable for westeners. I would however argue that this is the precise job of a PLAYER councillor: to present opportunities for uniting two - at the moment - very separated groups.

And ridiculously, i might have to say this too; I don't mean for the PC to "force people to play with each other". I'm saying build the bridges and see if people walk across. Talk to this popular streamer on the other side of the fence and work some event out, reward good teamwork, dont just get information translated into russian - GET information from russians (theyre in the game, but certainly not a lot of them on the forums, aeolus, or slack (relatively at least)).

Lastly, a quick note on toxicity. Here also you seem to shift responsibility to others (moderators). I would certainly vote for a PC that could think a couple steps further. A PC that could ask themselves, even if it doesn't directly fall into their realm of "authority", what THEY can do about it; however little. E.g. are you all truthful when you say you're not toxic when you play the game? Do you ever rage? Can we do more to promote good sportmanship and denounce destructive behaviour, even only in tournaments, casts or streams? Communicating with the promotors, the "faces" of faf to ask for help in accentuating good behaviour as much as possible? These are small things that dont take much effort but definitely worth trying. At the very least, you can say you try - instead of shifting responsibilites and blaming.
twentyseven
Crusader

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 15 times
FAF User Name: twentyseven

Postby FtXCommando » 29 May 2018, 01:53

twentyseven wrote:Just a simple observation from me; yuri seems to have the most popular faf streams and very popular Blitz tournaments. Alot of his followers get on those tourneys, despite short registration time. I know many of you cry for a more competitive faf, and here's a TD that has a lot of focus on low to mid-range players; which i think is perfect to entise more people to play tournaments and go for that tourney-winning fame.
You want more people to play high-level competitions? Well then they have to get the chance to start from somewhere. If "noobs" or "average joes" dont have some carrot to fight over; why would they commit to becoming better?

The "competitive" issue on FAF isn't something that will get solved by introducing more high rated players. The problem at the higher levels is that there HAS been an influx of higher rated players and yet the "real" competitive scene on FAF ends up being the same people from the start of FAF. For every 5 dudes that got their 1900 rating from farming all welcome games, 1k+ canis, dual gap lobbies, or wonder, you got 1 dude that is able to play at a competent level. And that's my idea of a competent level, let's not get into people with more requirements of players than me.

I've explained before that I view the 1000-1500 rating range to be particularly ignored in FAF and I want to focus on providing that rating group with serious 1v1 and 2v2 tournaments that have potential cash prizes. I want there to be players that gain their rating playing games that force them to refine all their capabilities not just a build order on a single map. This is the best that I can hope for before the introduction of a concept like team matchmaker. I don't have a problem with discussing concepts that focus on refining the lower levels of the FAF competitive scene with Yuri, but I also don't see him as the only TD that needs to be talked to about this. He is just one TD and while he has a large audience and is a large promoter of the community, I do not see that information as relevant in my determination of an individual's capability as a TD. If Yuri provides ideas for tournaments that are superior to other TDs and that I feel will lead to an excellent improvement of the competitive scene, of course I will support his ideas wholeheartedly. I will not support Yuri for the sake of supporting Yuri to appease Russians or in order to cash in on his fame.

When I refer to "support" here I am talking about my concept related to FAF tournament funds. I can't and certainly would never stop Yuri from hosting his own tournaments. I don't plan on becoming a Tournament Dictator. My system, barring scheduling conflicting tournaments, purely revolves around people opting into suggesting unique ideas and being rewarded for their creativity/work with portions of the FAF funds available for tournaments. If Yuri wants to help me, just like any other TD, I will always be willing to listen to him like I would listen to anyone else. I believe this is the building bridge meme everyone has been talking about.

twentyseven wrote:Yes, you can argue all day that its the responsibility of Yuri and his fellow russians to get better english or have more tournaments in times more suitable for westeners. I would however argue that this is the precise job of a PLAYER councillor: to present opportunities for uniting two - at the moment - very separated groups.

I don't think it's Yuri's responsibility to do anything. It is his freetime. It is the russian community's freetime. It is also Yuri's tournaments. I can't really discuss anything about this and neither can any other PC candidate. All people will tell you is that they plan on having a dialogue but in the end, the dialogue requires people willing to sit at the table. I can tell you that I'm willing to sit down and have a discussion with Yuri or whoever else. I can't promise you much else.

twentyseven wrote:And ridiculously, i might have to say this too; I don't mean for the PC to "force people to play with each other". I'm saying build the bridges and see if people walk across. Talk to this popular streamer on the other side of the fence and work some event out, reward good teamwork, dont just get information translated into russian - GET information from russians (theyre in the game, but certainly not a lot of them on the forums, aeolus, or slack (relatively at least)).

I wrote about wanting to work with Yuri in utilizing blitz tournies for experimental tournament concept in my initial application post. I don't really understand the suggestion of rewarding good teamwork. I do agree with the notion of getting Russians involved in the contribution side of the community and I can understand where you are coming from. You don't want it to be some passive system where the information just "exists" and there is no effort meant to put the information in front of people. This is one of the central issues that I see when it comes to communication on FAF and it is one I want to address for the English side of the community as well as the Russian one. It's a political nonanswer to your idea I guess, but being proactive about getting people involved is something I am pretty passionate about. There are a lot of people that are considered to "not matter" or be nothing but "complainers" that might not be capable of coding but are very interested in creating a better community in other ways. Often all that is required to get these people involved is asking them personally.

twentyseven wrote:Lastly, a quick note on toxicity. Here also you seem to shift responsibility to others (moderators). I would certainly vote for a PC that could think a couple steps further. A PC that could ask themselves, even if it doesn't directly fall into their realm of "authority", what THEY can do about it; however little. E.g. are you all truthful when you say you're not toxic when you play the game? Do you ever rage? Can we do more to promote good sportmanship and denounce destructive behaviour, even only in tournaments, casts or streams? Communicating with the promotors, the "faces" of faf to ask for help in accentuating good behaviour as much as possible? These are small things that dont take much effort but definitely worth trying. At the very least, you can say you try - instead of shifting responsibilites and blaming.

I never said I wasn't toxic when I played the game. Also can't recall ever proclaiming that I never raged. In fact, I've gotten mad at you in game. I don't think there are many people on FAF that would say I was a kind-hearted gentle soul, to be honest. I'm also not going to change my attitude in #aeolus or the game in order to maintain some sort of fantasy professional atmosphere. Personally, I see the inability to "lower" yourself to the levels of the "dregs" of FAF more of a hindrance than a benefit in a position equivalent to the Tribune of the Plebs of the Council.

Accentuating good behavior? I don't see any of this related to the PC, at least not in my vision of the position. I'm not going to demand TD's force their contestants to line up and high-five each other after the game. I'm not going to force people to police their language as I already view the rules of the community as enforcing a reasonable atmosphere. If a TD feels like people are breaking his rules or not respecting his authority, then he has all the rights as the TD to make a decision against those individuals. I'm not going to step in and create a set of guidelines that demand people get DQ'd for saying "fucking russians" or "that game was ass" or "this tourney bracket was bs."

Long story short, I'm not a fan of the idea of "promoting good behavior" and the implications it leads to.
Are you upset? Are you happy? Are you a FAF Player? Come to the PC Discord and share your thoughts and build the community!

https://discord.gg/Y2dGU8X
FtXCommando
Councillor - Players

Has liked: 234 times
Been liked: 583 times
FAF User Name: FtXCommando

Postby Petricpwnz » 29 May 2018, 03:29

SilentWarrior wrote:So in your book, we don't have a problem with toxicity and harmony?

No, I think it's the internet and you are way too naive in thinking we can create some sort of utopian circlejerk where everyone likes everyone. There will always be individual toxicity and there is nothing worthy to be done to adress the oh so overblown ""tension"" between main faf chunk and whatever subcommunities.

SilentWarrior wrote:The fact that some would wish the Player's Councillor to 'only' pick ladder matches and keep his nose out of the affairs of players, seems like the opposite of what the Player's Councillor's role was meant to be. Why else are the players even involved in his election, if it not for their welfare that the role was designed for?

Observing you I can't help to notice how you have some sort of tick to "unite everyone and bring peace". There is plenty of things PC can attempt to do, and almost anything is better than trying to adress this issue that doesn't exist. How about instead the PC focuses on affairs of newcomers and why we retain so few of them. Or on affairs of competitive players and why everyone is apathetic and doesnt bother.

SilentWarrior wrote:My post has been liked by Russians, this is an indication that maybe if someone actually tried to build bridges, they may come and integrate more with faf general.

xDDDDDD I have a feeling you are just lowkey trolling tbh. Please educate me, a russian, about the state of russian subcommunity and their "problems". The most practical and useful thing already has been done - russian chatroom which is used by plenty of noobs who don't know english, perfect. I don't see where else does PC need to put his nose into. Should we host international tea ceremonies? Run a tutorial "Learn english in 2 hours"?

SilentWarrior wrote:I have highlighted the Russians as an example, there are a huge number of players from everywhere around the world that play faf, but do not feel welcome interacting with the faf community, they get put off from their first experiences.

Collecting survey data on things like that is already what many have proposed here as a part of their potential duties. There is but that much spoonfeeding one can do. We can do many things to make it easier to get accustomed to faf for new people, but you can't stop someone from calling someone else a c*unt in game. Report system already exists.

SilentWarrior wrote:In my dept of Maps&Mods, my team has identified that there are a number of issues that prevent more players from playing ladder, one of which is Toxicity.

Well we asked in discord what this meant and you said smh about insults in game but again, what, is PC supposed to brainwash people into goodboy behavior?

SilentWarrior wrote:The mere mention of the word 'Russian' makes some people so uncomfortable and they invoke the magic words of 'Super'+'Shado', as if this will act as a rallying call to dismiss my suggestion, without even trying to see if there is any connection or a problem.

Max I see is an occasional meme or some random 0 rated gap boss raging because he got cucked by some russians. Same as I see people constantly complain about australian and brasilian pings or Mephis piss f*cking poor useless connection that just never works when it needs to.
SilentWarrior wrote:I did not even wish to post any further replies to this thread, as it is meant for the applicants to reply back to and needless discussions will only interfere with that process.

If you have any further questions, just send me msg directly and I will give you a much longer reply and maybe someone as experienced as you might actually be able to help.

Actually I don't, the topic isn't really worth a discussion. But the absurdity of it has kinda triggered me so I felt I needed to clarify some things.
Blackheart wrote:actually i love lolis and want petry to be my waifu

Scientifically proving that Blackheart is a weeb - https://imgur.com/a/J436c | https://clips.twitch.tv/AssiduousAverageOxMikeHogu

Best meme of 2017 - https://puu.sh/yLsvH/abbf54eb99.mp4
Petricpwnz
Priest

Has liked: 442 times
Been liked: 473 times
FAF User Name: Fremy_Speeddraw

Postby JJ173 » 29 May 2018, 13:02

May I suggest an alternative method of expressing your concerns on our forum post?

Perhaps we can arrange a gathering of councillors, applicants, and all involved here to cover certain concerns and topics that you are all discussing?
Check out the Nomads Campaign Project: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15534
Check out my first Coop Mission: viewtopic.php?f=78&t=15605
JJ173

Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 50 times
FAF User Name: TheAdDad

Postby nine2 » 30 May 2018, 01:16

JJ173 wrote:Perhaps we can arrange a gathering of councillors, applicants, and all involved here

A "forum" perhaps :)
nine2
Councillor - Promotion

Has liked: 285 times
Been liked: 515 times
FAF User Name: Anihilnine

Postby lilSidlil » 30 May 2018, 15:45

Hello, I'm lilSidlil (atm DarthSidious) and an applicant for a role role of Player Councilor. I am an active participant in Russian community and spend a lot of time here. Created a conveniently designed Discord server https://discord.gg/rW6AHqr with lots of information to help new players quickly navigate the new space. There is also a group in the social network VK: https://vk.com/scfaforever where as much interesting information.

As a player councilor I will get devs to bring back the old ladder system with a few adjustments. I will get big map pool with 70-80 standard maps and 10-20 unusual experimental maps.
Ladder players will be able to choose maps that pool they would like to play from (minimum 15 maps); On start of the game the system will take 3 pools: your maps; your opponent's maps and featured maps list and randomly pick any map from any of those pools.

Spoiler: show
Standard:

5x5(20):
Ambush pass
Blaster rock
Break
Canis river
Crag dunes
Crimson feud
Desert joust
Dusty grounds
Esgaroth's ruins
Fields of thunder
Firelight
Moonlight
Moonlight mesas
Moonlight pass
Owly Cliffs
Summer duel
Theta passage
Theta passage 5
Vale of isis
Williamson's bridge

10x10(56):
Abhor
Arctic refuge
Badlands
Better isis
Broken wows
Cobalt valley
Comet catcher
Desert planet
Diversity
Dry canyon
Emerald crater redux
Eye of the storm
Eridany
Farce in the forest
Finn's revenge
Funeral plains
Forbidden pass
Forgotten facilities
Four leaf clover
Goodlands
Haven reef
Hexagonian drylands
High noon
Hollow
Island zero
Last oasis
Loki
Miracle
Niflheim
Octil wetlands
On melancholly hills
Open palms
Open waters
Open zeta
Regor IV
Saltrock colony
Sands of ablicka
Satira beach
Serenity desert
Sleipnir
Standing stones
Stella maris
Syrtis major
Tabula raza
TAG_craftious_maximus
The cold place
The dark heart
The land wilderness
Twin rivers
Varga pass
VI-Tek peak
Volcano duel
Vulcan's reach
White fire
Winter twin rivers
Wonder

20x20(15):
Chiron
Crossfire canal
Dragoon's pass
Emerald crater
Gentleman's reef
Marida
Pelagial
Point of reach
Quantum sea
Roanoke abyss
Selkie isle
Seraphim glaciers
Seton's clutch
The requisite
X6 1v1

I will monitor ladder statistics and gather your feedback. every 1-2 weeks i will change the big pool and list of featured maps depending on community desires.

I'm choose two assistants. One will be from the candidates for this position and the second at my own discretion.

P.S. I know that I will not go through the first round, so I will not enter into a debate. If in the described proposals there is something you need, just take it for your work.
lilSidlil

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 73 times
FAF User Name: lilSidlil

Postby Voodoo » 30 May 2018, 18:05

All I want is a small map pool with only 5x5 and maybe 2 or 3 10x10 maps. I there no one who can make my dream come true?
Also a ladder reset would be nice but that is an other topic.
Voodoo

Has liked: 251 times
Been liked: 344 times
FAF User Name: Voodoo

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions