Player Councillor Applications

Talk about general things concerning Forged Alliance Forever.

Moderators: FtXCommando, Ze Dogfather

Re: Player Councillor Applications

Postby Rowey » 26 May 2018, 15:52

@GFY_Deponny

What will you do with the ladder pool?

How will you encorage New players to play more and not leave the comunity?

How will you deal with torunaments ?
Rowey
Contributor

Has liked: 93 times
Been liked: 71 times
FAF User Name: Rowey

Postby FtXCommando » 26 May 2018, 15:58

rackover wrote:Should the PC address tutorials, player retention, rating system and overall making the game more suitable for newcomers ? I didn't see lots of you talk about that.

In regards to tutorials, I would spend most of my time updating Sheppy's old tutorial forum posts here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3058
I feel FAF has a significant amount of tutorials already present but I would like to gather all of them into one area with coordination of the people in the community that have made guidelines. I really don't feel like there is any extreme lack of information for people, especially with the introduction of Heaven's tutorials and for the most part people just need to get into lobbies to play games. I might need people to assist me in translating to other languages, however.

Player retention is related to the rating system in many ways and it's difficult to get a plan going without getting a discussion going with people about which solutions are best. The central ones from what I can gather are: allowing people to gain some global rating through playing games against the AI so they do not get kicked from lobbies for being a 0/0, do not let people fall below 0 rating, and possibly allow ladder games to influence your global rating up to a certain point (say 1000 rating). The last one is because the information you utilize to get to that level in ladder will be the same knowledge you will need to utilize in teamgames.

With other regards to the rating system being generally broken, I feel that there should be additional rules to games being unranked with a certain degree of rating variance to prevent the common abuse seen at higher rating levels. This could be that games with over 1000 rating variance will lead to a game being unranked but it would of course require coding so that people can see whether a game is at risk of being unranked in the lobby. Ultimately, any solutions I consider based on the rating system are simply meant to plug the holes in the current system as the only real solution in my eyes is the creation of a team matchmaker.

I would like to gather information on what exactly is ruining the experience of new player's before moving on that issue. This would mainly be done through a survey in the #newbie channel where I will try to get as many players as possible to take a survey on the issue.
Are you upset? Are you happy? Are you a FAF Player? Come to the PC Discord and share your thoughts and build the community!

https://discord.gg/Y2dGU8X
FtXCommando
Councillor - Players

Has liked: 234 times
Been liked: 583 times
FAF User Name: FtXCommando

Postby GFY_DEPONNY » 26 May 2018, 16:57

1stly sorry for poor grammar as this was written in a hurry

What will you do with the ladder pool?

The ladder pool has always been a huge issue, and the voices for change for it have always come form the active players in it.
And they are the best voices to head for change however i would fall on the side of caution to any large changes at once as this could isolate, anger and push new and hardcore players form the ladder scene. i would encourage small changes implemented on a time cycle schedule.
also i believe the rating system and map choices are the major issue. looking to the active e sports scene in which i have much experience in i believe an extra classification for players, perhaps based on ranks in the milarty to easier mark experienced players IE ensign to commander as a monthly or tri monthly basis. This i believe would encourage activity as it would be renewed every few months and allowing only people to play with in a range of above or below this classification would encourage competition and a goal to fight for. and after the cycle players who achieved the highest in each classification would receive avatar etc as a reward. now i know implementing something like this requires a lot of work its merely one idea of many that i could see bringing great change

How will you encourage New players to play more and not leave the community?

this is by far the most difficult challenge faf faces its and aging game with a high learning curve. my approach would be trying to give some sense of achievement or showing how epic the game really is scale wise. Many new players come at behest of friends or form watching a video on the game and go hmm that looks great.

There are many approaches to growing the community
We need data on where they heard of faf, how and why they liked the game or why they where interested in it and pushing the core reasons in some type of campaign is the a way to grow our community.

Holding on to them on the other hand. We need to understand what new players look for and feed into that for them. Look at the most played maps for new people and encourage active change here in slight improvements to there overall experience.
Provide them the tools to improve thru a tutorial series tailored to doing and achieving things in these games that a well round payer wouldn't need.
For example showing early game build queues is great for players who want an edge early game and want to enter a competitive scene, showing them how to nuke rush in a thermo or a gap game or something a little more tailored to madness on the entry level is probably better for new players as not all want to be pros they just wanna see stuff go boom.

These are only ideas off top of my head.

How will you deal with tournaments ?

Well i have plenty of experience in this field as i helped host some very large tourneys for e sports games such as dota and cs:go.
To grow and develop a tournament scene you need personality faces. legendary players , great active teams and competitive game play but u also need a pinch of absurdity and madness.

You need an active campaign to get people into the tournament ,a proper reward scheme to justify the effort put in. A means to pull a cowrd to show it off. if players are not talking about a tourney the activity in it will be low. Public awareness in the community is a big thing that faf as a community needs to tackle head on. Casters and players are your only true way to make a tournament scene grow and achieve any success.
GFY_DEPONNY

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 5 times
FAF User Name: GFY_DePonny

Postby Exotic_Retard » 26 May 2018, 17:09

FtXCommando wrote:In regards to tutorials, I would spend most of my time updating Sheppy's old tutorial forum posts here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3058
I feel FAF has a significant amount of tutorials already present but I would like to gather all of them into one area with coordination of the people in the community that have made guidelines.

dont you mean the faf wiki then? : D

https://wiki.faforever.com/index.php?ti ... ing_SupCom

https://wiki.faforever.com/index.php?title=FAF_chat
Exotic_Retard
Contributor

Has liked: 557 times
Been liked: 626 times
FAF User Name: Exotic_Retard

Postby Rowey » 26 May 2018, 17:12

it all needs a good update expecial with the new t3 reball commingout at some point
Rowey
Contributor

Has liked: 93 times
Been liked: 71 times
FAF User Name: Rowey

Postby FtXCommando » 26 May 2018, 17:29

Right the wiki is great, didn't realize it already collected a fair bit of the videos I was thinking of. I'd still prefer for it to have more written explanations to go along with the videos. There's still information that REALLY needs to be revisited like the trainers list, firebeetles, aeolus guide, and

that.

Also, yes, I know you don't need to be the PC to edit the wiki.
Are you upset? Are you happy? Are you a FAF Player? Come to the PC Discord and share your thoughts and build the community!

https://discord.gg/Y2dGU8X
FtXCommando
Councillor - Players

Has liked: 234 times
Been liked: 583 times
FAF User Name: FtXCommando

Postby justice » 26 May 2018, 20:38

GFY_DEPONNY wrote:Hello all,

Its me GFY_Deponny. I am a colorful character that the best of times but i feel i can bring a lot to the player council position and am very much interested in the position. I have plenty of experience in player interaction and have always been friendly and helpful to new players and taken time to show them the ropes as they say.

i am strong willed, divisive, hard working and always willing to listen to others and attempt mistakes. I have many ideas that i feel could help faf grow as a community and am willing to put in the work to do so. I love this community and even if i have ever had a disagreement with anyone on it i never did anything that would damage publicly them or me. I feel gentle approach is always a good option and discord pervales sadly that does not always work out.

i have always been active in clans and given my opinion to people fairly on changes and offered input and suggested anything i say as helpful.

For me Applying for this post I pledge the following
• I will spend well over 4 hours per week working on These Responsibilities.
• I will be available at more than 8 hours every other week for a voice call to discuss these Responsibilities and the responsibilities of other FAF Councilors.
• I will use and be available on the FAF as much as possible.
• I will do my best to help the other Councilors perform their responsibilities.
• I understand that if I am unable to perform these duties, I will resign or be replaced.

I am free here and on Aeolus to answer any questions most of the time, Looking forward to any follow up questions
Kind regards GFY DEPONNY

Some questions,

why do you think being divisive is a good trait or was that a typo?

If you had to choose a 5 map pool for ladder what would it be?

Would you be lenient to people that ignore td decisions or dq them? Players will often whine to sway your decisions for bonus rounds and whatnot for their own personal gain.

Do you recognize the problems with rating system for new players and smurfs, or do you think it is fine as is? Do you have any ideas?
justice

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Postby JJ173 » 26 May 2018, 23:15

For those of you who are curious about how the voting system will work in terms of first and second votes, the council are discussing a system. Before the voting officially opens, we will post some official voting guidelines to help you understand how your votes will be processed.

Here's an example of what we had in mind:
- Your first candidate choice will reward that applicant with 1 point.
- Your second candidate choice will reward that applicant with .5 points.

So if I voted for biass first, and then voted for Rowey as my second choice (this is purely an example, don't get excited), biass would receive 1 point for being my first choice, and Rowey would receive .5 points as my second choice.

A more concrete idea will be posted on voting day, so keep your eyes peeled for an announcement. I hope this helps some of you with the questions you had about how the voting system will work.
Check out the Nomads Campaign Project: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15534
Check out my first Coop Mission: viewtopic.php?f=78&t=15605
JJ173

Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 50 times
FAF User Name: TheAdDad

Postby GFY_DEPONNY » 26 May 2018, 23:51

Some questions,

why do you think being divisive is a good trait or was that a typo?

yes was a typo i meant to be decisive. Thank you for the catch :P

If you had to choose a 5 map pool for ladder what would it be?

firstly i would hate a small pool size for ladder i would much prefer a 20 to 25 map pool with 5 to 6 changing every 2 maybe 3 months.
but if forced to twin rivers, Dark heart fafs version, TAG_Craftious Maximus , fields of isis and owly cliffs. twin rivers is actually a toss up between itself and Forgotten Facilities. i feel they give a rounded maybe 30 mins to 40 mins max game and provide good com combat and unit fighting.

Would you be lenient to people that ignore td decisions or dq them? Players will often whine to sway your decisions for bonus rounds and whatnot for their own personal gain.(i would love an example here to clarify)

i assume this is to do with tournament director decisions. i believe in firm but fair rulings on nearly any happens. if they ignore the directors rulings how is there any fairness to a tournament. how can there be. it would depend on what the decision was ofc and if it just favors a warning or DQ. But if u brake the rules your out. And whining people do not ever sway my judgement.

Do you recognize the problems with rating system for new players and smurfs, or do you think it is fine as is?

I think there is huge room for improvement and there is abuse happening but a full re-haul isn't the way to go implementing some to go with the rating system as i stated in a previous post could root out this problem. I suggested a ranking system to go with rating that sees people but in class dependent on performance in ladder.

for example a class system where people who start off are privates at first and have to win 5 games in there favor to go to private second class and then private 3rd class etc

and each class can only play the class above or below to earn wins, the win ratio in that class has to be in there favor however IE 5 wins and 6 losses u are not going up but your not getting demoted . and every 3 months wipe it clean and give people an avatar of the rank they achieved. i also believe the 4 lowest classes should be able to play each other and it should be split 4 classes 3 classes 2 classes and 1 class so 10 classes in total. i believe this system will help flush the smurfs out to the topper classes and keep them there.

there is holes in this system but its an idea while open to improvement and tinkering.
GFY_DEPONNY

Been liked: 5 times
FAF User Name: GFY_DePonny

Postby Lancezh » 26 May 2018, 23:58

justice wrote:
how is he level headed? he thinks ftxcommando is good for any position. do you consider that to be good judgement because I don't.

Not most but a few of the mods are already driven by their own power and hate instead of serving the community. We need mature people in charge that know how to be respectful and not loose.

Out of all the that have applied I think rowey and picoo in second are the strongest but they are both not so killed and don't understand the game well because they learned how to play from brnk no offensive. How would they choose ladder pool? most of the e guy(except exotic) are nice but skilled at the same time which is why they probably ended up being mods. Too bad Heaven or madmozar are not applying because they are good and probably an upgrade from tokyto who was already good but because more intelligent. Maybe long but thank for reading

Because i know how he approaches certain things from personal experience, i don't care who else he endorses or what the other politics involved is. On ftx, well, can't argue there :mrgreen:
Lancezh

Been liked: 6 times
FAF User Name: Lancezh

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions