This week in Slack

Talk about general things concerning Forged Alliance Forever.

Moderators: FtXCommando, Ze Dogfather

Re: This week in Slack

Postby Morax » 12 Feb 2018, 22:26

I mean, this is just life in general. I'm not invited to every meeting nor do I invite everyone to meetings I hold at work. It gets too cluttered and frustrating to hear so many voices.

There is plenty of work getting done. What are you worried about, moonbear?
Maps and Modifications Councilor

M&M Discord Channel

Come join us and help create content with the artists of FAF.
Morax
Councillor - Maps and Mods

Has liked: 1167 times
Been liked: 662 times
FAF User Name: Morax

Postby PhilipJFry » 12 Feb 2018, 22:31

there are no closed rooms on slack due to that afaik
the only closed rooms that i know of are the
- balance room (only balance team members have access to it but since history is limited we did migrate to discord where we have a new hidden channel)
- moderation request (cause user info and moderation stuff happens there (not as much as before since brutus made the mod client))
- moderators (cause we like talking about other users behind closed doors)
cats>dogs
post logs
PhilipJFry
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 232 times
Been liked: 348 times
FAF User Name: PhilipJFry

Postby moonbearonmeth » 12 Feb 2018, 22:34

moonbearonmeth wrote:a point was made that if someone was not happy with the level of information communicated by the developers, that person should do something about it.

Well then thank you for the vote of confidence in dispelling the myth that the Slack is some place where the devs go to hide.
Very well done indeed.
Ask me about my amazing content production to watch while you wait in a lobby.
moonbearonmeth
Priest

Has liked: 166 times
Been liked: 225 times
FAF User Name: Suomi KP-31 desu

Postby Brutus5000 » 12 Feb 2018, 22:41

I don't know why there is need to spread rumours while the channel list is openly visible.
There are two more channels #test-server and #production-server where we handle server management. Yes this is not always stuff bringing FAF forwards, but keeping FAF alive. And then there is also dev-to-dev chat or also things in discord going on without chat history.
The 9th Doctor wrote:You think it'll last forever, the people and cars and concrete. But it won't. One day it's all gone, even the sky.
Brutus5000
Councillor - DevOps

Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 288 times
FAF User Name: brutus5000

Postby Exotic_Retard » 12 Feb 2018, 22:52

how naive philip!

me being in the most power abuse positions ever and a part of the power abuse clan, i not only have access to those three you mentioned, but TWO more as well!

one is the top secret empire clan channel, where we discuss how to best opress everyone else while taking all the power for ourselves, and the other is a top secret project which died over a year ago in typical faf style! amazing!

slightly more on topic, discord qai is getting some work! dont leave him hanging :<
on the other hand i think that dearest moons rundown wasnt toooo far off - theres been lots of discussion of stuff but not really any flashy reveals i guess, although we might be seeing some bugfixes for aeolus chat things quite soon, so thats cool.
Exotic_Retard
Contributor

Has liked: 557 times
Been liked: 626 times
FAF User Name: Exotic_Retard

Postby PhilipJFry » 12 Feb 2018, 23:03

ice is making some progress this week as well (we have a new test version and may get a new test server soon)

if you need something to add to the last weeks stuff then you could trust my word and say that we closely read the feedback thread for the beta patch and discuss possible changes
cats>dogs
post logs
PhilipJFry
Supreme Commander

Has liked: 232 times
Been liked: 348 times
FAF User Name: PhilipJFry

Postby moonbearonmeth » 12 Feb 2018, 23:42

PhilipJFry wrote:if you need something to add to the last weeks stuff...

It isn't a matter of needing something to report, if nothing happens then nothing happens.
However if it is a matter of there being something that should be public but has been deliberately omitted from public knowledge then there is an issue.
moonbearonmeth
Priest

Postby moonbearonmeth » 19 Feb 2018, 02:27

Dibbity doos, putting out that news.

Something about chatting
Mazornoob is working on something, not sure what but it involves the Python client and it involves chat so I am going to guess it's something good.
It seems to be inching closer to completion so maybe expect to hear something about it int he coming weeks.

Maps n' sheet
OzoneX put out a new build of his map editor and it's great and now the greatest map ever has been published and I am totally not biased in any way shape or form
Slimegirls, best girls.
You can read all about it here: viewtopic.php?f=45&t=10647

Tournaments
A lot of restructuring went down for the planning of future tournaments as a lot got put on the back burner (specifically the 'King of [Faction]' tournaments)
The end result being first and foremost, expect the long delayed 'I5 4690k tournament' to be happening soon, I expect the news to be made more official on that soon.
The other is the question of frequency of tournaments and what participants/viewers (but mostly participants) actually want, tournaments have been going at about a rate of 1 per week, and some of the TD's think that is too much, some think that is fine but I am curious what the people on the receiving end actually think.

Shitposting
Shitposting highlights of the week include:
-The benefits of various encoding techniques
-What happened in the last FAF conference
-Bots
-Coke vs Pepsi
-A cry for good replays (seriously, medicraze needs them lest I start sending him Thermopylae games)

That's this week.
Later, nerds.
moonbearonmeth
Priest

Postby moonbearonmeth » 25 Feb 2018, 21:10

News time

Galactic War
Someone actually wrote in this segment of the Slack, I swear I'm not making this up.
Apparently the cogs are turning here via some kind of ion propulsion but they are turning.
ETA unknown but like everything in the world today some people are pushing for it to be launched half baked so that they can do 3 times the work fixing something on the fly but who am I to judge.

Bug Hunting
It seems ever since moving to Australia Keyser has been surrounded insects, who knew.
So just a shout out to the only dude autistic enough to report bugs in the bug-report section of the Slack.

Put it on ICE
The dudes working on the Python client have been doing some ICE related shit and I'm a bit hazy on this but it seems like there is supposed to be some kind of big ICE test tomorrow. Keep an eye out for some guy who looks like he knows what he's doing talking about it.

Java out the Ass
These guys talk too damn much, fortunately it seems it was mostly people asking questions about the client trying to get up to speed than actually something happening.

How to Build a Unit 101
This tutorial initiative is such a big deal now they have started their own channel in slack to post their results, more news next week.

Shidboast
Slack shitposting this week includes but is not limited to:
- Getting angry at me for calling out their shitposting last week
- The legality of FAF
- Some coding jokes
- A list of games
- Some math jokes
- Germanic dialects

See you next week
moonbearonmeth
Priest

Postby Exotic_Retard » 25 Feb 2018, 21:22

you missed arguably the most important bit:

some HERO has successfully patched the forgedalliance.exe to include variable no rush radiuses. also the ability to select all walls with double click.

this doesnt sound like a huge change, but it really is. mostly because we simply didnt have anyone active who could do that. that is to say we finally have some active devs who can touch the exe itself which is amazing because we could be seeing some previously unfixable engine bugs, fixed.
Exotic_Retard
Contributor

Has liked: 557 times
Been liked: 626 times
FAF User Name: Exotic_Retard

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions